• Page:

TOPIC: Cataracts

Cataracts 4 months 1 week ago #3784726

• Colin
  • Colin's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 17
Quite sometime ago i was diagnosed with Cataracts in both eyes. To cut a long story short i ended up blind in my left eye with the right eye not so far behind. But on the sixth of April this year i underwent a totally pain free operation on my left eye and the following morning when the dressing was removed i could see once more.

I can now see all around but sadly i have found that i can nolonger read a book or even write a letter. As for reading i am hoping that my optician will be able to provide a suitable pair of glasses but i still cannot see what i am writting. Can any forum members suggest a type of pen that i can use so that i will be able to read whatever i am writting.
Thanks all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cataracts 4 months 1 week ago #3784730

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 705
  • Honor Medal 2010
Had both of mine done as I was noticing a drop in my shooting scores and not seeing sights plainly, back to normal now other than slower old body reflexes. My doctor asked what I actually expected to be able to see my sights and read the date on a penny was my comments. I can do both now again, i have noticed some colors now are easier to see than others and have changed to them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.
Last edit: by Dennis 2.

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3784742

• Colin
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
I am literally over the moon so to speak and i am and will be forever grateful to the kind and professional staff of the NHS and since the operation i can now see most things around me. But unfortunately i still cannot read a book or see what i have written if i have to compose a letter to a friend or relative. I hope my sight will improve in time to come but at the end of the day i am more than satisfied with my sight as it is. I can now move around and see to my everyday needs and that to me is the main thing.

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3784758

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1391
  • Honor Medal 2010
That's brilliant Colin ... I completely understand your elation ... it is like being given back your freedom.

I had both cataracts done a few years back ... each eye was done separately so that there was time for one to recover before the next was done but I had no idea how completely restorative cataract surgery is.

I can remember when I went for the consultation (in the UK) I was asked if I would like to have both long vision and short vision restored so that I would not need glasses at all for anything.

Because I had struggled so much with losing my sight I said no because I thought my brain might not cope and my balance might be affected. The lovely surgeon said it wouldn't but I was a scaredy cat and said No!

However though I know they are not allowed to go against your wishes, once both eyes were done I found that I could read without glasses and see long distance without glasses BUT it was not immediate ... over a few weeks it just got more and more crystal clear !!

There was blurring at first but it did clear over several days. The day that the first eye cleared I just wandered around my home saying out loud 'Oh Wow!' I have a big poster on my chimney breast and had forgotten that there were words printed along the bottom and I also had forgotten that my curtains had an embossed pattern in them!!

And then I looked in the mirror :ohmy: :laugh:

You will I am sure be surprised at how much better your vision will get.

As for reading and writing I initially bought some off the rack reading glasses at a local shop in whatever strength seemed better ... no need for a prescription. I still have them but only use them when I am very tired or something has VERY small print.

I don't know about pens that might help but I wonder if, as you are able to post on here, whether you could type out what you want/need to write and use a larger font size to just make everything bigger ? Then once you have proofread it change the font/text to a smaller size and print it out?

Just one little thing which they might have told you but it can be that after a year or so your sight gets a bit cloudy ... DO NOT PANIC ... it is temporary and is sorted out with laser treatment that takes just a few minutes and is completely utterly pain free and never has to be done again.

Enjoy your new eyes
smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3784761

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 705
  • Honor Medal 2010
yag laser

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3784763

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Laser surgery is used to remove cataracts. In my case, I also saw poorly at close range even before the cataract. That's why ultrasound was also used in my surgery to crush the natural lens of the eye (crystalline) which was later replaced by a lens adapted to my case. I no longer wear glasses. it was 5 *

Last edit: by .

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3785007

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 916
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have not had cataract surgery done - but I work in a medical centre, and meet lots of people who have.

They have all been very pleased with the result and can see long distance much better, drive without glasses etc.

But most have still needed glasses for reading.

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3785019

• Aviara
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 493
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have found most of my friends have this type of reaction and experience, Veg

I’ll be getting my left eye done, hopefully within the next few months, and am really hoping for some wonderful results….the right eye has been done with minimal ‘success’, because I had already had previous surgery on that eye.

The results are really amazing for most ppl …. My good friend had worn glasses since she was 9 and now doesn’t need them, although she will put a pair on when on the computer for a long time.

Good Luck Colin … I’m sure proper glasses will make a big difference for you ….

Cataracts 4 months 6 days ago #3785204

• Colin
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
I didn't have laser eye surgery but i am over the moon with the outcome of the operation. I have obtained thick tip "marker" pens and will make do with them. Would like to thank everyone who has taken the time out to reply to my post with their kind advice. Big thanks everyone.

Cataracts 4 months 5 days ago #3785217

• Elizabeth
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 183
  • Honor Medal 2010
Most cataracts are caused by exposure to the sun. If more mothers took care to protect their babies and children from the sun's rays, perhaps it would be less of a problem. Todays pushchairs might be convenient, but you see so many babies screwing their eyes up against the sun. The old-fashioned prams with a proper sunshade was much more sensible.

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds