Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Buzz announcements, site development, new competitions, events and quizzes.

TOPIC: Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585639

• Mike
  • Mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1766
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have a number of what are commonly known as 'Romance Scammers' regularly joining our site. This is inevitable as Buzz50 is highly ranked on search engines such as Google.

UPDATE May the 2nd 2017

In April we blocked 73 more 'romance scammers' from our Buzz50 site.

How did we catch them?

Through the diligence of other Buzzers who forwarded suspect messages to Mila or Mike or used the Report menu item which is at the top of every page.

Please do not respond to Buzzers off site via email, Skype or other methods until you really know them well!
(end of 19/01/2017 update)

Mila and I, the admins, the moderators and many of our Buzzers do our best to keep our site safe from scammers, spammers and troublemakers and you can also help us and help yourself at the same time :)

Are you able to spot them and can you help us to root them out?

Romance Scammer is the term given to people who try to win the hearts and minds of others with a view to eventually getting some sort of financial gain from them.

When a Romance Scammer joins Buzz50 one of the first things that they may do is to form some sort of communication channel with as many potential 'victims' as possible. This is because they realise that it is likely that they will be soon found out for what they really are and booted off the site, so a means of communication away from the site is vital to their plan.

This will often be by:
Phone
email
Some other 3rd party communication method.

If a Buzzer asks you to contact them away from the site then you should be very suspicious, especially if it is a new member.
If on the other hand it is a member who is quite active and open on the site and has been communicating with you through the site for a while then it is up to you whether you choose to communicate with them in another way of course, but be careful!

If you suspect a Buzz50 member to be some sort of a scammer then please do not hesitate to contact us in one of the ways below. We will always treat your report with the strictest confidence.

Here are some things that you can do:

If you get a suspicious PM, (private message) then forward it to Mila or I. You can easily do this from the link just above the PM to the right.

If you have a suspicious member contacting you by 1 to 1 chat then click the REPORT menu top of the site and send a report. Please remember to include the Buzzer's name.

If you see a spammy or scammy forum post then you can click a link in the forum post at the bottom which says 'Report to moderator'.

Please also feel free to email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call me on +447548 884288.

The following user(s) said Well Said: Barbb6, Sueki4, geeljay, unique, Sunset, dawnlee, jenna55 and this user have 10 others thankyou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!
Last Edit: by Mike.

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585665

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3501
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always report them immediately I become suspicious.
The following user(s) said Well Said: gingermoney, Pats, Keeper, JUJO

Back into storybooks giants have fled
And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Simply by buying from Amazon or eBay you will be supporting Buzz50

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585712

• norm1035
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 478
  • Honor Medal 2010
IMHO, they sort of "stick out like a sore thumb". I don't understand how anyone could be deceived by 99% of them. (There probably has to be 1% of the highly-skilled scammers and/or the highly naïve recipients.)

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585757

• Nighthawk
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks for the warning and the warning flags...appreciate it greatly!

Last Edit: by Nighthawk.

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585767

• Miesque
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Mike & Mila

Many thanks for the warning. It's like most Forums really, isn't it? You will always get the devious ones.

I'll be on my toes, and if I have any doubts or suspicions, I'll be in touch.

Kind regards to you both,
Miesque

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585778

• Rainymfo
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4041
  • Honor Medal 2010
Does the advert for over 50s dating on the home page attract more romance scammers to the site?
I have to say there seem to be a heck of a lot more on Buzz than on any other site I've been on, some of which had far larger active membership.

One life - live it.

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585788

• junlu
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1
Mike,

Thank you for being on top os this issue

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585794

• bluehorses
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Many thanks for the heads up! It's sad that there are people who actually fall for this. Not me!

Thanks again!

Everyone have a super wonderful weekend :)

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585798

• schnooz1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I can spot them right away. Start off wanting you to go to another avenue to "talk"...many other things ...sometimes just the way they write. And of course there are the "charmers" that start off with, "Hello, cutie". I mean, does that actually work and who raised them? There does seem to be quite a lot out there. I just close them or block them. If it something bad I would tell Mike right away, of course

Romance Scammers Alert on Buzz50 1 year 1 month ago #2585801

• jamy11
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for caring,best wishes to you all

Last Edit: by jamy11.
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.