Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Buzz announcements, site development, new competitions, events and quizzes.

TOPIC: Groups must be open to all

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285759

• mike
  • mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 443
  • Honor Medal 2010
The idea of groups is so that people with a common interest can get together and have Events, a Photo Gallery, a Wall, Group messages, Videos and so on.

It was not intended that groups should allow members to form a clique that excludes other members.

I have decided to remove private groups and allow only the forming of public ones.
The following user(s) said Well Said: smilesrus10, Pascalou, Pats and 7 other people also said thanks.
Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!
The topic has been locked.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285766

• yaheyubetcha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I wish you well Mike and what you are trying to do but I'll be cancelling my membership effective today.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285782

• Eira
  • Well said received: 2934
  • Honor Medal 2010
Special Interest Groups are a good idea for those who want to discuss their own interest in more detail but I must say that I'm glad Mike has announced that they will all be public groups here.

I had actually just written a post on the other thread about groups but it closed before I posted.
Basically, my post was just outlining some of the unpleasantness that ensued from introducing 'private groups' on another friendship forum I was a member of.
I'm pleased that Buzz won't be going down that route.
The following user(s) said Well Said: smilesrus10, Pascalou, Pats
Step by step, one goes a long way.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285807

• mike
  • mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 443
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have had loads of messages of good wishes about this.

Thank you all :)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pascalou, Pats
Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285960

• Gabby Hayes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Rats! I was going to start a group and not let anyone in but myself. :P :laugh: :silly: :blink:

Attachments:

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285986

• Katieeee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

yaheyubetcha wrote: I wish you well Mike and what you are trying to do but I'll be cancelling my membership effective today.

You will be missed.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2285997

• Pandora
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Brilliant , I dont like the idea of secret groups I have just stopped posting on a site other than the games ,where certain people only talk to certain people.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2286057

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2364
  • Honor Medal 2010

Katieeee wrote:

yaheyubetcha wrote: I wish you well Mike and what you are trying to do but I'll be cancelling my membership effective today.

You will be missed.

he will be very much missed by me too.

All the best to you yaheyubetacha . :xxx:

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2286153

• Nen Noomanu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have as some of you may have noticed stopped posting on the main forum for some time.. but i think i should make an exception as i have read the posts here and on the previous link and ironically they show some of the reasoning behind why the new group was set up

I should point out that i had no part in setting it up, didnt ask to join, but received an invitation...
I was about to leave Buzz for no other reason that i do not use the chatrooms or the dating and my main (arguably only) interest was in engaging mature people in mature debate on important and often by there very nature controversial topics.

It is no secret that i felt the "off topic" rule and the emphasis on political correctness limited the exploration and prevented the evolution of the discussion on what are very complex issues. There was a separate but associated issue that all to often threads all too quickly deteriorated into pontificating rather than reasoning and in the worst case this quickly descended into attacking the person rather than there viewpoint.

I made comment on the limitation issue only and was informed by a moderator that those are the rules so that is when i decided to stop posting and leave... not a criticism of Buzz just that it wasn't for me so I intended to hang around long enough to give the friends I have made a personal farewell and then leave.

Then i received an invite via PM to join a new group that had been set up to try and minimise the things that i felt were limiting discussions on the main forum. I looked at the 'new' rules agreed with them and joined.

I don't care who is a member of the group.. i haven't been around long enough to know any members well and anyway as far as i was concerned the criteria was simple if you like the rules join, if you dont, dont.

I didn't recommend anyone or vote for or against anyone and frankly didn't care who was or wasn't a member as long as they conformed to the rules.

Just prior to this there was a post on the forum dealing with Racism (cant remember if it had a different title) I didn't post on it and deliberately avoided even reading it as i felt it was sure to go sideways.

The new group forum started well but within a day it was clear that the issues and tensions possibly exacerbated by the racism thread had spilled over into the new forum. Very quickly we had people objecting and insisting that the new rules were too lax and the discussions began to change to attack the person not the points.

I particular post (directed at me) clearly broke the group rules an I reported it to the group moderators in the hope that they could nip the problem in the bud.

Next day I received what only can be described as a ranting email (since retracted and apology accepted) with some very personal comments about me accusing me of conspiring to have a member removed from Buzz completely and causing the group to be removed.

If the member was removed from Buzz then it was not because I made a report it could only be that the comments made in the post were completely out of order but that was a moderator decision not mine

I had already by this time decided to leave the group as i felt that once started the same old problems wouldnt go away quickly but i was confused why the group was disbanded until i saw this and the linked thread. Clearly there were already misconceptions and confusions and the only reason i am writing this is i believe the only way to resolve any problem is to bring the facts into the open.

My overall view (for what it is worth) is that having groups on Buzz is essential to provide a place where people can discuss their interests in a manner that allows the freedom that couldn't be allowed on the main forum.. different people have different sensibilities and a group allows that as long as it provides clear rules about what can and cannot be.

And that should be the only criteria.. if any member wants to join then as long as they accept the rules of the group.. fine...if they then demand change or try to avoid the rules they should leave or be expelled as it clearly isnt for them anyway.

Seems pretty straightforward to me and i still don't know why those that created the group or the appointed moderators chose to use a somewhat more complicated system (but i probably could hazard a guess) and that is about as much as I know.

I did not break the new rules but i admit that my comments were a catalyst.. but they only brought a problem that had already arrived into the open a bit faster. I hope that this helps clarify some points and i do wish everyone all the best...

If i do miss anyone with a personal farewell then I apologise in advance

Take care
Last edit: by Nen Noomanu.

Groups must be open to all 6 years 4 weeks ago #2286159

• Pascalou
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 2767
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hey Nem since the rules are changing I truly think you should stay!
The more the merrier! ;)
Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds