TOPIC: E-Readers?

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522471

• djohnny
  • djohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 13
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have got cataracts in both eyes and and i'm still waiting to undergo the operation . In the meanwhile i have been looking or trying to, find a suitable e-reader. I have checked out Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma,
and Kobo H2O. Could i ask forum members for their opinions on these e-readers please. Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Please Log in to join the conversation.

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522539

• Lenny
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 248
  • Honor Medal 2010

djohnny wrote: I have got cataracts in both eyes and and i'm still waiting to undergo the operation . In the meanwhile i have been looking or trying to, find a suitable e-reader. I have checked out Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma,
and Kobo H2O. Could i ask forum members for their opinions on these e-readers please. Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

my wife andI recently bought a Kobo each (not sure if it was H20) I really like ii. You can make the print as large as you like.
If you plan on downloading books from your local library be sure to ask your library does the one you like work with the library system.
I had planned on buying a Kindle but was told by a wise man (my son) smile.png to check with the library to see if a Kindle would work with their system. It turned out that it did not but Kobo did.
I have done more reading in the last 4 months since I bought the Kobo. than I have done for years. Mind you a part of that was the pandemic. Get my head in a good book and forget what is going on around you :lol:
I hope this helps, if I can be of any more help message me. or post on here.
Lenny
[/b]

Last edit: by Lenny.

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522619

• cahoots
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1037
  • Honor Medal 2010
hello there djohnny

I bought a Kindle for the very same reason.

I had been very anti e readers because I felt books would become a thing of the past but as my eyes got worse I was desperate to find a way to read again.

I recently upgraded to a Kindle Oasis which has bigger storage and it is brilliant.

You can adjust the brightness and the size of the text and the font and page layout.

It is very light and comfortable to hold and it is waterproof if you like reading in the bath or by the pool. It was also easy to get a nice folding cover for it. I now have over 300 hundred books on it which I could never keep in my home on shelves.

I still have my first kindle which I keep for taking out with me whilst travelling (pre C19) with fewer books on it.

I don't know about Kobo e readers but a few years ago I purchased books from them which I have on my phone on an app.

I have no idea if library books can be downloaded on my Kindle but I can actually borrow library books on my phone with an app.

Amazon (other suppliers are obviously available!) also have a kindle unlimited membership which you pay for but as well as getting a book a month and lots of good deals you can also 'borrow' up to 10 books as party of your membership.

Hope you get your cataracts done soon … have mine done now though waiting still for laser treatment on one eye but still love my Kindle and do not need any glasses to read with it.
BE the change you want to see
The following user(s) said Well Said: Lenny, Keeper

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522626

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1966
  • Honor Medal 2010
As I can no longer see to read books, I am watching this thread with interest. smile.png smile.png smile.png

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522664

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2456
  • Honor Medal 2010
I do not have a dedicated e reader - but I am converted to e reading and I use my ipad.

I download books via i-store or borrow from library.

on ipad (as I'm sure on all such devices) , you can adjust font style, size, brightness

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522692

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2946
  • Honor Medal 2010
My children got me an e reader some years ago and I wouldn’t be without it. It’s small, light, and convenient.

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522717

• Alan
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 25
  • Honor Medal 2010
Any android device can be used as an ereader just download the Kindle app, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tablet which is also good for surfing the internet oh and watching catch up TV.
Sent by carrier pigeon (haven't got a computer)

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522748

• cahoots
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1037
  • Honor Medal 2010
I forgot to add that with Kindles you have an option on Amazon to also purchase the audible version of your chosen book at a reduced rate so that IF you have any of the echo devices you can listen to your book too and alternate between reading it and playing it … it will keep the place you last finished at.

I do think they are quite wonderful and are a huge help for people struggling to read actual books smile.png
BE the change you want to see

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3522884

• djohnny
  • djohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 13
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hello everyone
I only use a Linux Operating System OS and Firefox is my default web browser. And it was only after i made my first post regarding e-readers that i found an addon for Firefox called Dark Reader and it is in my opinion fantastic. Now every website i visit appears with a dark (black) background and white text. I can now read text on any web site easily. There must be other versions of this addon which will work just as well in Google Chrome and Microsoft browsers.

There is even an Epubreader addon that works in Firefox and it's free with no adverts. Surely this must be worth a try out?

With the free addons for Firefox i am now able to code once again using HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript in my football league
tables etc.

Well that's enough prattling from me. Would just like to say a great big thank you to everyone who took the time out to reply and offer their kind advice. DJ
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper

E-Readers? 2 months 1 week ago #3523019

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1966
  • Honor Medal 2010

djohnny wrote: Hello everyone
I only use a Linux Operating System OS and Firefox is my default web browser. And it was only after i made my first post regarding e-readers that i found an addon for Firefox called Dark Reader and it is in my opinion fantastic. Now every website i visit appears with a dark (black) background and white text. I can now read text on any web site easily. There must be other versions of this addon which will work just as well in Google Chrome and Microsoft browsers.

There is even an Epubreader addon that works in Firefox and it's free with no adverts. Surely this must be worth a try out?

With the free addons for Firefox i am now able to code once again using HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript in my football league
tables etc.

Well that's enough prattling from me. Would just like to say a great big thank you to everyone who took the time out to reply and offer their kind advice. DJ

darkreader.org/
Dark Reader for Chrome
Dark Reader for Firefox
Dark Reader for Safari
Dark Reader for Edge

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds