Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Irritable bowel syndrome

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 4 days ago #3956975

• Roadie
  • Roadie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
When a doctor tells you that you have irritable bowel syndrome, he/she is saying, "Something is wrong with your bowels, BUT we have no idea why". AND there is no cure.

There are two (2) "types" of IBS. One "type" is IBS-D (diarrhea) and IBS with constipation.

I have IBS-D and I went through 2 colonoscopies , a camera inserted into my stomach, and an electronic camera test where I wore a special elec belt and swollowed a large pill that takes photos of the entire gastric system as it moves thru my gut. AND numerous stool lab tests. ALL OF THOSE TESTS WERE NEGATIVE.

IT was a waste of time. All that happened is that the gastroenterologist got richer.

so, as i already said, the term IBS is just a medical name for, " something is wrong but we don't know what the heck the problem is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 4 days ago #3956984

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not a waste of time, if the tests rule out something more sinister than IBS which obviously is the case.
It's good that you had the tests, imo.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, ReturningLace, Roadie

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 4 days ago #3956991

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1535
  • Honor Medal 2010
IBS is a recognised condition with a definable set of symptoms.
However, the causes aren't clearly understood therefore there's no definitive test that can be done to diagnose it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: senile1, ReturningLace, Roadie

Happy to help.

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 4 days ago #3957032

• Summerdancing
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 258
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi there

I've suffered from this for years.... I have found probiotics helpful but I have to keep changing them. Plus iron has helped. They take awhile to kick in.

I avoid raw onions/garlic and chili peppers. Gad, my diet is bland!

I've been to a dietician and discovered that because of IBS, I have no vitamin D or B12 in my body so I am on supplements.

What I find really odd is that when I travel, I don't have the symptoms. I was in Morocco and Europe for almost three months this year--and one bout in the entire three month period. Ditto when I was in Cambodia--and that was due to the milk. Not sure what that is all about.

Just know you're not alone with this puzzling and debilitating issue.
The following user(s) said Well Said: ReturningLace, Roadie

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957044

• Roadie
  • Roadie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Summerdancing wrote: Hi there

I've suffered from this for years.... I have found probiotics helpful but I have to keep changing them. Plus iron has helped. They take awhile to kick in.

I've been to a dietician and discovered that because of IBS, I have no vitamin D or B12 in my body so I am on supplements.

What I find really odd is that when I travel, I don't have the symptoms. I was in Morocco and Europe for almost three months this year--and one bout in the entire three month period. Ditto when I was in Cambodia--and that was due to the milk. Not sure what that is all about.

When traveling, your diet AND drinking water also change. Perhaps that is partly the cause of your IBS, AT HOME ?

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957066

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1535
  • Honor Medal 2010

Roadie wrote:

Summerdancing wrote: Hi there

When traveling, your diet AND drinking water also change. Perhaps that is partly the cause of your IBS, AT HOME ?

Diet plays a big part in ‘controlling’ IBS, such as the intake of caffeine, spicy foods and fat.
When travelling, we may be tempted indulge in richer and different foods which can certainly cause an IBS flare up.
The following user(s) said Well Said: ReturningLace

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957119

• patcaf
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 30
  • Honor Medal 2010
IBS/D has so many variations. My wife has had ulcerative colitis for some years. There is no cure only treatment with large doses of steroids which cause their own health issues. It is a very debilitating disease which makes long journeys or travel very difficult. It has flared up recently and she has now been diagnosed with Kroehnes. Her(our) life is seriously limited and her (our) diet is incredibly bland and repetitive. Luckily she was retired before it really flared up as she could not have continued to work with the impact of IBD. It is one of those hidden disabilities which take a terrible toll on peoples' lives.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vienna, ReturningLace

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957123

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have been on two courses of steroids, since being diagnosed with Crohn's disease three years ago.
Although they do not like to keep you on them for long periods, but now on a biologic drug i have to inject every couple of weeks - this suppresses my immune system, and together with other oral meds has helped a lot..

Crohn's Disease/ UC are both incurable bowel diseases.
They have to find the right drug - or combination of drugs, that work for each individual.

For me, so far so good.

Last edit: by Vienna.

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957163

• ReturningLace
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 572
  • Honor Medal 2010
IBS I have delt with for years. Sometimes a curious, complicated condition.
There are triggers for me, and also those things that calm the symptoms down,
and at other times 'nothing' helps and it's just a bad stretch. I have a list of things
I avoid, eliminate, keep my Colonoscopies in motion to check other things out along
the way, also my Gastro appts.

My mom lived with Crohn's for all her adult life. She was treated with meds and
was encourage to address some lifestyle changes and adjustments, dietary changes
and that is a big one to pay attention to.

My sister has lived with Ulcerative Colitis all her adult life.

Bowel and gastro conditions are so difficult and stressful for many, not an easy
road to walk.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vienna, Pats

Last edit: by ReturningLace.

Irritable bowel syndrome 6 months 3 days ago #3957244

• Summerdancing
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 258
  • Honor Medal 2010
And here's the weird thing about IBS.... sometimes certain foods don't bother me--I can go for weeks eating them, drinking coffee and then one day, BAM! If the symptoms/results were consistent, ie every time I eat onions, upset stomach, then I would avoid those foods. But for me, there is no consistency.

Has anyone tried the FODMAP diet? I'll attach a list I got from a dietician. Hope you find this helpful.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds