Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it!

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3853253

• AntiqueLace
  • AntiqueLace's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have Osteoarthritis (diagnosed about 5 years ago, I am at the moderate stage presently and advancing upward ^)

My main joints affected actually are my 'entire' body, but the ones that give me the most
grief are knees and hips. Also, I've had a couple random falls the past three years and that did
not help matters....

The meds I chose to take are OTC. They provide some minimal relief. Also, I walk daily one mile if weather
permits I do this outside, if weather does not permit then I head to the gym for treadmill walking, light weight
bearing, and for me these days that is about my limit. * I would not turn away a stronger pain med for now
and then, BUT it is not being offered me via my Ortho Surgeon. Steroid injections first are being tried.

Knees, I have two Steroid injections yearly, and only a total of 4 so far. I will say these give me significant
relief of pains but the injection lasts only about 3-4 months.

*I had my first right hip steroid injection 6 days ago. I was SO excited in hopes it would help even if only
for a few months, but so far not much, I will though say that one area I am noticing feels 'slightly' better,
but not the entire hip yet. *In about three months I will take another steroid hip injection and to see if
any further relief then this recent time.

Am I wanting to avoid both knee and hip replacement surgeries? Yes, I am choosing to procrastinate.

Anyway, my little story and contribution.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AntiqueLace.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3853486

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1264
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have arthritis specifically in one knee. I am managing it best I can. It makes me weary.
The following user(s) said Well Said: AntiqueLace

Life is like a cartoon. As you grow older you understand the meaning behind the exaggerations.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3853942

• senile1
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 492
  • Honor Medal 2010

AntiqueLace wrote: I have Osteoarthritis (diagnosed about 5 years ago, I am at the moderate stage presently and advancing upward ^)

My main joints affected actually are my 'entire' body, but the ones that give me the most
grief are knees and hips. Also, I've had a couple random falls the past three years and that did
not help matters....

The meds I chose to take are OTC. They provide some minimal relief. Also, I walk daily one mile if weather
permits I do this outside, if weather does not permit then I head to the gym for treadmill walking, light weight
bearing, and for me these days that is about my limit. * I would not turn away a stronger pain med for now
and then, BUT it is not being offered me via my Ortho Surgeon. Steroid injections first are being tried.

Knees, I have two Steroid injections yearly, and only a total of 4 so far. I will say these give me significant

*I had my first right hip steroid injection 6 days ago. I was SO excited in hopes it would help even if only
for a few months, but so far not much, I will though say that one area I am noticing feels 'slightly' better,
but not the entire hip yet. *In about three months I will take another steroid hip injection and to see if

Am I wanting to avoid both knee and hip replacement surgeries? Yes, I am choosing to procrastinate.

Doctors have been telling me for years, "my legs can stay, but my knees and hips need to go', now they are saying they need to cut into my back. I've lost an inch in height, but still have resisted any surgery. So if you come to my house, I'm the fella walking around on my elbows.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3853944

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 626
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can only sympathise with those for whom Arthritis is a major problem, I have had mild Osteo for years but if it is progressing it is taking its time, thankfully. It first affected my knees, but then damage done during my military service is likely the initiator, jumping out of trucks 5 feet off of the ground with 100lb plus packs will tend to impact one's knees. My biggest issue is in my neck and I take what could loosely be called a broad spectrum treatment in the form of Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, it's more of a masking agent for the pain rather than a direct treatment. It also helps with any anxiety and depression from the long term impact of the ailment. I sleep well as a result, sometimes to well, but then there has to be some benefit. My last GP also prescribed Panadol Osteo and recommended regular doses throughout the day, but I reserve that for those moments of significant discomfort, mostly in my shoulders and neck during the day. I guess it will get worse but I'm not thinking about it at the moment, I'm to busy worrying if the next time I have to kneel down might be a one way trip, getting back up is rather a chore.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, AntiqueLace

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854074

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am finding my knee arthritis is progressing and now get pain in my right ankle and foot . I have also lost height despite regular exercises. An excellent GP at our practice offered good advice about painkilling meds ( that was in the days when you could actually get to see a doctor ). It was take the smallest dose for the shortest time. She also told me that just over half her patients who had knee ops had a really good outcome, others less so, and sadly some poor souls were left with worse mobility problems after surgery than they had before.

Life is like a cartoon. As you grow older you understand the meaning behind the exaggerations.
Last edit: by Aida.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854093

• AntiqueLace
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

senile1 wrote:

AntiqueLace wrote: I have Osteoarthritis (diagnosed about 5 years ago, I am at the moderate stage presently and advancing upward ^)

not help matters....

Doctors have been telling me for years, "my legs can stay, but my knees and hips need to go', now they are saying they need to cut into my back. I've lost an inch in height, but still have resisted any surgery. So, if you come to my house, I'm the fella walking around on my elbows.

*Senile, I can appreciate you resisting the back surgery, it is a huge decision, I imagine filled with both pros and cons.
You've lost an inch, just like I have, I now have a limp and not easy maintaining my best posture.

Last edit: by AntiqueLace.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854095

• AntiqueLace
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Aida wrote: I am finding my knee arthritis is progressing and now get pain in my right ankle and foot . I have also lost height despite regular exercises. An excellent GP at our practice offered good advice about painkilling meds ( that was in the days when you could actually get to see a doctor ). It was take the smallest dose for the shortest time. She also told me that just over half her patients who had knee ops had a really good outcome, others less so, and sadly some poor souls were left with worse mobility problems after surgery than they had before.

*Aida, your knee arthritis progressing and into the right ankle and foot. The pain is awful at times isn't it...
yes, me also, have lost height. Your GP has good advice. It makes sense what she said about knee ops too.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854103

• AntiqueLace
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

KayyGee wrote: I can only sympathise with those for whom Arthritis is a major problem, I have had mild Osteo for years but if it is progressing it is taking its time, thankfully. It first affected my knees, but then damage done during my military service is likely the initiator, jumping out of trucks 5 feet off of the ground with 100lb plus packs will tend to impact one's knees. My biggest issue is in my neck and I take what could loosely be called a broad spectrum treatment in the form of Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, it's more of a masking agent for the pain rather than a direct treatment. It also helps with any anxiety and depression from the long term impact of the ailment. I sleep well as a result, sometimes to well, but then there has to be some benefit. My last GP also prescribed Panadol Osteo and recommended regular doses throughout the day, but I reserve that for those moments of significant discomfort, mostly in my shoulders and neck during the day. I guess it will get worse but I'm not thinking about it at the moment, I'm to busy worrying if the next time I have to kneel down might be a one way trip, getting back up is rather a chore.

**Kayygee, you have your challenges too them with the knees with Osteo and also your past damages having jumped out of the trucks. Thats an impact! The Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, that you shared about. Years ago, and after a neck injury that med was of positive benefit to me. Good thing it gives you some relief ....

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854191

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Although I have heard it is good for arthritis, I am not allowed to take Amitriptyline as I have a heartbeat issue, asymptomatic LBBB. Amitriptyline may cause a condition that affects the heart rhythm ( QT prolongation ) . It can cause irregular heartbeats in some people.
This should be flagged up at the surgery on your records if you are at risk.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

Last edit: by Aida.

ARTHRITIS and types, and related things, aches, pains, all of it! 4 months 1 week ago #3854526

• habibi
  • Away
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 225
  • Honor Medal 2010
Can anyone tell me if wear and tear is the same as arthritis or does wear and tear lead to arthritis?

I have wear and tear in my knees and the bottom of my spine and undiagnosed pain in my shoulders which could be arthritis. Could this get worse?

In Sandra's name we must follow the rules of lockdown and social distancing to get through this nightmare.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds