TOPIC: Blood Clots

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840816

• sandoval
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 281
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bruce "What is a calcium scan? what is it for?"
A calcium scan is the gold standard to see calcification in the vascular system. Inflammation in the body turns to bone which isn't good when in the vascular system. Astronauts have to have it as do presidents. If your wife has a high score then a clot could finish her off because there is less room for blood to circulate. It can't be reversed but can be stabilised. It's about £300 as not on the NHS. Or you can call it genetic , take Apixaban/Riveroxaban for the rest of her life and hope for the best.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840856

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 878
  • Honor Medal 2010
Good luck to your wife.

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840865

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 922
  • Honor Medal 2010

I will keep you all informed as I find out what is happening.
I think this time she will be on blood thinners for ever more, last time they injected her everyday and they managed to clear the clot so I think they will be doing that again.

yes they might do short term Clexane injections.

usually here the protocol is then blood thinners for about 6 months, repeat scan to check all clear and if so, stop them

However people who have recurrent occurences may have to stay on oral blood thinners permanantly.

I hope she is recovering well.

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840870

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1372
  • Honor Medal 2010
I hope that your dear wife will be "on the mend" soon Bruce.
Some flowers for her, you can tell her about them smile.png

Get well soon flowers for Mrs Bruce.

Oh yes, my husband and I are both on Rivaroxaban, blood thinners, and have been for several years. They were prescribed for Atrial Fibrulation.
Attachments:

PEACE to the world

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840888

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2093
  • Honor Medal 2010
Crumbs Bruce I am so sorry to hear this .... I'm so glad you pushed for your wife to be seen again and I hope they can sort this out quickly and she is soon back home with you and your children.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers xx

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3840909

• habibi
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 249
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi Bruce smile.png

I'm so glad you know what sciatica is and made sure your wife saw another doctor. You must be worried about your wife, I hope she's feeling better soon.

:xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx:
For both of you

In Sandra's name we must follow the rules of lockdown and social distancing to get through this nightmare.

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3841001

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1757
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: Bruce "What is a calcium scan? what is it for?"
A calcium scan is the gold standard to see calcification in the vascular system. Inflammation in the body turns to bone which isn't good when in the vascular system. Astronauts have to have it as do presidents. If your wife has a high score then a clot could finish her off because there is less room for blood to circulate. It can't be reversed but can be stabilised. It's about £300 as not on the NHS. Or you can call it genetic , take Apixaban/Riveroxaban for the rest of her life and hope for the best.

I know what you mean now, I saw a diabetic who's toes went black and under the knife they discovered his veins in to his foot and hardened/calcified so they had to follow the vein back up until they found where it went soft again.
Amputation to the knee was the outcome. The man lived ok after that thank the lord.

My wife has feeling all the way in to her toes and they are not worried about calcifying they are worried about bits breaking off from the clots so they are not going to operate and shove those wires/bars down her veins to remove the clots as they said that would be to dangerous.
They are treating her with some tablets which will breakdown the clots.
She has basically what they said is it looks like a link of sausages from her calf up through her leg in to her groin and up to her stomach area and they are all clots, They are treating her with tablets and monitoring her daily.

She more than likely will be on medication for her blood for ever more, which is ok we can do that no worries.
It is the waiting for the tablets to work and get rid of the clots, this could take a few weeks which is frustrating but if that is what we have to do then no worries we will do it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3841009

• cheops23456
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2
  • Honor Medal 2010
Blood thinners like warfarin, apixaban and the like are the only way to dissolve the clots that are already formed. If the clots get big enough to block the blood vessel completely surgery is the only answer which in the legs requires a fasciotomy. I know from experience as I have the procedure done to my leg. I also have something called Cauda equina syndrome where all my nerves at the base of the spine get compressed and they can imitate other conditions. It took twenty years to get the right diagnosis because of it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Bruce

I came, I saw and I conked out!

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3841010

• Woody
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 905
  • Honor Medal 2010
Get well soon Mrs Bruce.

Blood Clots 7 months 2 days ago #3841011

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1757
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

I will keep you all informed as I find out what is happening.
I think this time she will be on blood thinners for ever more, last time they injected her everyday and they managed to clear the clot so I think they will be doing that again.

yes they might do short term Clexane injections.

usually here the protocol is then blood thinners for about 6 months, repeat scan to check all clear and if so, stop them

However people who have recurrent occurences may have to stay on oral blood thinners permanantly.

I hope she is recovering well.

She had Clexane injections in the past when she was pregnant every single day and a few weeks after she gave birth, bee stings as they used to call them as they sting when you inject them, they haven't give her Clexane they have given her Xarelto tablets to dissolve the clots,
She is ok in pain but ok. They did mention her taking some kind of medication permanently which I presume is blood thinners and that will be fine she can do that, even more if it stops episodes of clots like she has.
I was always surprised she was never on meds daily for it before, I did ask the question but she assured me the docs said she doesn't need to be! Maybe as age creeps upwards that has to change.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Woody, Amandine

RETIRED WITH GRACE
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds