Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Blood Clots

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840724

• sandoval
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 252
  • Honor Medal 2010
I would get her a calcium scan but you'll likely have to pay. It's not infallable but if she scores over 100 it might concentrate the mind to a lifestyle change as it has happened before.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840725

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1567
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote: My wife has been suffering with pain in her left leg and so went to the doctors, Doc said Oh you have sciatica and sent her home with some pain killers,
Now I know I am not a doctor but I said to the wife Love I have had sciatica and it gives pain down your butt cheek and moves down the leg sometimes at the top sometimes all the way down so I think you need a second opinion. She had no pain in the lower back or butt cheek.
Rang the docs back and he saw her within 30 minutes as the wife like she told the other doc has a history of blood clots and so do her family (a blood clot took her father in his late 30s) he immediately put her on blood thinners and sent her for an emergency scan saying you have had clots three times now so we need to check asap. Good job he did.
Now she is in emergency care as she has blood clots in her left leg!
Not sure what they going do as yet I asked her ring me when she has some news. All she said is now they are going to do a full body scan.

How can a doctor with all her info in front of her get it so wrong? Why didn't she ask for a scan just in case going from her history and her family history of clots?

Happy the other doc was capable of doing his job right.

I will keep you all informed as I find out what is happening.
I think this time she will be on blood thinners for ever more, last time they injected her everyday and they managed to clear the clot so I think they will be doing that again.

Oh dear!
That’s really bad, especially with a patient with history of clots.

I wish your wife well Bruce.

Happy to help.

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840727

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: I would get her a calcium scan but you'll likely have to pay. It's not infallable but if she scores over 100 it might concentrate the mind to a lifestyle change as it has happened before.

It is not necessarily lifestyle factors that can cause blood clots, although smoking is a common cause.

There are also genetic and many other factors.

Happy to help.

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840729

• Summerdancing
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 292
  • Honor Medal 2010
First, wishing your wife a speedy recovery. Secondly, she is so fortunate to have someone who will advocate for her. Seems to be that to navigate the medical system, you need someone to go with you. Sad.... and the unfortunate reality is that many people get misdiagnosed and sent away with pain killers.

So sending both of you best wishes....

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840734

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 899
  • Honor Medal 2010
Be Confident and Resilient Bruce. Personally not a great enthusiast of Pharma.
But as one diagnosed some 8 yrs ago with Carotid Artery occlusion. 85% RHS 65%LHS. Stents being expressed as "Unbeneficial"! [Soundbite for. No one Capable, Available or Positive]
ACE Inhibitors/Beta Blockers have proven to be effective and adequate.
Best wishes to both of you.

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840747

• Ruetends
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bruce wrote:

Amandine wrote: I am glad your wife is in good hands at last Bruce, that must all be very stressful.
Is her leg swollen?
I wish her a prompt recovery now that she is in good hands.
Keep us posted.

Thank you for the response.
Yes her leg is 3cm wider at the calf and 5cm wider at the thigh than her other leg.
She just rang and said she is going for a full body scan and they going pump some blue dye in to her to check her leg for something, I am not very well medically clever and the wife is pumped full of pain killers.

Hi Bruce , i wish her a speedy recovery .....
Not sure it's the same ,but my sister in-law recently had something similar ,her toes went all black , she had to have the blue dye too, it's to see where the blockage is , she went on to have a op that cleared it , not sure if she had a stent placed in her thigh or they cleared it with a balloon thing they use to clear vessels in the heart ..... my thoughts are with her ....

Last edit: by Ruetends.

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840748

• AntiqueLace
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bruce, this is a tough thing for your wife to go through, thinking of you both~

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840755

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1414
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

sandoval wrote: I would get her a calcium scan but you'll likely have to pay. It's not infallable but if she scores over 100 it might concentrate the mind to a lifestyle change as it has happened before.

It is not necessarily lifestyle factors that can cause blood clots, although smoking is a common cause.

There are also genetic and many other factors.

We believe the clot problem to be genetic as her father got clots at 37 and it cost him his life, his brother my wife's uncle had them twice but he got sorted ok, my wife this is the fourth time of getting clots, she doesn't smoke and she rarely touches alcohol maybe a glass of champers at a wedding.
The sis in law the wife's sister got them after child birth but she lives in a different area and as the hospital knew her risk she was monitored all through pregnancy and after, she got clots a couple of days after giving birth just like my wife did.
She is a professional trainer and former Miss toned body world champion and must be the most healthy eating person in the world as she is also a professional dietician with all those letters after her name.
So I think it is pretty safe to say you are correct when calling it genetic.

What is a calcium scan? what is it for?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Amandine

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840774

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010
A CT scan will detect and diagnose blood clots by providing detailed, accurate imagery of the body's blood vessels and their obstructions

Calcium scans detect calcium deposits in the blood vessels supplying the heart.

Happy to help.

Blood Clots 5 months 1 week ago #3840781

• DarrenM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 442
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've had Contrast (the dye injection) a few times, they always tell me it is like a fuzzy warm feeling, as if you are peeing yourself! i always reply i have never peed myself, the warm fuzzy feeling does make me laugh though

I've mentioned this purely to keep you and your missus' spirits up in what could be a serious situation
Stay positive and sincere good luck

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds