Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gaining weight?

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3834826

• kb0000
  • kb0000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8
The webverse is full of advice on how to lose weight. I’ve got that one licked- without trying, I lost more than 40 lbs over the last 15 yrs or so. I’m now at the point where two different MDs told me to not lose any more weight. Turns out this is not easy. I rarely feel hungry, so why eat? I used to take down a 8 oz burger with ease. Now a 3 oz burgers fills me up-- no room for fries. If I eat fatty meat-- lots of calories-- , it sends my blood sugar into the lookout for diabetics range. When I cut out dairy (saturated fat) and high fat meat, blood sugar dropped from 107 to 82, but more weight loss.

I don’t believe in medical uniqueness. Odds are I am not the only old guy or gal with this problem, so does anybody know how to stop Srs from loosing weight?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3834846

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 954
  • Honor Medal 2010
Have the doctors (knowing your specific medical issues) made any recommendations or referred you to a dietitian? I’m sure others here will be able to offer some opinions.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3834868

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1424
  • Honor Medal 2010

kb0000 wrote: The webverse is full of advice on how to lose weight. I’ve got that one licked- without trying, I lost more than 40 lbs over the last 15 yrs or so. I’m now at the point where two different MDs told me to not lose any more weight. Turns out this is not easy. I rarely feel hungry, so why eat? I used to take down a 8 oz burger with ease. Now a 3 oz burgers fills me up-- no room for fries. If I eat fatty meat-- lots of calories-- , it sends my blood sugar into the lookout for diabetics range. When I cut out dairy (saturated fat) and high fat meat, blood sugar dropped from 107 to 82, but more weight loss.

I don’t believe in medical uniqueness. Odds are I am not the only old guy or gal with this problem, so does anybody know how to stop Srs from loosing weight?

Has your doctor fully investigated for any health conditions that may have caused you to lose weight?
It can be caused by a stressful event like a divorce, losing a job, or the death of a loved one, it can also be caused by malnutrition, a health condition or a combination of things.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Bruce

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3835253

• sandoval
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 205
  • Honor Medal 2010
You seem to have very strange metabolism because fat doesn't effect blood sugar. Clue is in the word "sugar" which isn't in fat. To put on weight eat lots of carbs and anything that says "low fat" because the fat is replaced with sugar. To be honest losing 40lb in 15 years is hardly a crash diet. As we get older we need less food but most eat more. You sound fitter than most to me so unless it effects your quality of life why worry. I'm not a doctor but I've had to learn nutrition which unfortunately doctors don't.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, RichardA

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3835258

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 517
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: You seem to have very strange metabolism because fat doesn't effect blood sugar. Clue is in the word "sugar" which isn't in fat. To put on weight eat lots of carbs and anything that says "low fat" because the fat is replaced with sugar. To be honest losing 40lb in 15 years is hardly a crash diet. As we get older we need less food but most eat more. You sound fitter than most to me so unless it effects your quality of life why worry. I'm not a doctor but I've had to learn nutrition which unfortunately doctors don't.

Not forgetting that a high carbohydrate diet can increase blood sugar levels....not ideal for diabetics.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, sandoval

Gaining weight? 1 month 3 weeks ago #3835307

• sandoval
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 205
  • Honor Medal 2010
Very true Richard but is the poster Diabetic ? They said when they eat fat Blood sugar goes up and when they cut it out if goes down but fat doesn't effect blood sugar. If you can't put on weight eating carbs there must be something else going on or you are so insulin sensitive you can eat what you like. It's possible on a restricted diet for insulin sensitivity to improve but would need a kraft test to check.
The following user(s) said Well Said: RichardA

Gaining weight? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3835444

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1433
  • Honor Medal 2010
Maybe protein drinks?

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Gaining weight? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3835460

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 663
  • Honor Medal 2010
Keep Blue Bell in the icebox 24/7!

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

Gaining weight? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3835505

• kb0000
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
2 MDs said, 'try not to lose any more weight'

Gaining weight? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3835508

• kb0000
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
Saturated fat raises blood sugar. Poly & mono unsaturated fats don’t. When I stopped eating beef in favor of fish, skinless chicken, & ham, blood sugar level dropped from 107 to 82.

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds