TOPIC: P S A Levels.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3838102

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 386
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have my PSA checked 4 times a year along with my blood work, so far it is very low on the good side, I lost a friend last year from not getting regular checks he was ate up with cancer, his 1st test was an 18 bad bad.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.
Last edit: by Dennis 2.

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838287

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 577
  • Honor Medal 2010
Dave I do not have personal experience of them (obviously, being a woman) - although it may interest you to know same medication (by the brand name Zoladex in Australia) - can be used for women for severe endometriosis Different dosage though, I think.

But in my work in general practice, I have known many men on this treatment. usually one injection every 3 months, small amount of local anasthetic first and then done in Dr's surgery, takes a few minutes.

Common side effect include things similar to menopause - hot flushes, that sort of thing. But not everyone gets.

It can be a maitenance treatment for many years - have known men on it for 10 years or more with no issues or change in disease status.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave, Pats

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838368

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 461
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have my PSA levels checked once a year and so far am in the expected range for my age and within the margin of "safety". Unfortunately the best preventative against a worsening condition is now sadly out of reach, though there is always hope this may change.

Dad contracted prostrate cancer in his early 70's, and though it was an uncomfortable experience he managed to beat it and go on til he was 86, it's doesn't have to be a death sentence or a significant life changing event. But prevention is the best option.

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838515

• Davenorave
  • Davenorave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 261
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: Dave I do not have personal experience of them (obviously, being a woman) - although it may interest you to know same medication (by the brand name Zoladex in Australia) - can be used for women for severe endometriosis Different dosage though, I think.

But in my work in general practice, I have known many men on this treatment. usually one injection every 3 months, small amount of local anasthetic first and then done in Dr's surgery, takes a few minutes.

Common side effect include things similar to menopause - hot flushes, that sort of thing. But not everyone gets.

It can be a maitenance treatment for many years - have known men on it for 10 years or more with no issues or change in disease status.

VK, that wasn't you I was talking on the phone with, was it? She said the same almost word for word.smile.png Seriously. Since you are familiar. Is there any chance of bodily change. Though my lady did mention a loss of sex drive too. Not a problem for me, that went years ago.

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838768

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well not unless I am moonlighting on other side of the world in my spare time tongue.png :laugh:

yes it is hormonal suppression - so can affect libido/sexual function too - although as you mention that is not an issue for everyone.
I'm not sure what you mean by bodily changes?

I dont think so - just hot flushes sometimes - an annoying but manageable side effect for some people - I jokingly say Welcome to my World if men mention that - because of course, that is a common symptom of menopause for women too.

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838778

• Starfish2
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2010
@Davenorave
You didn't say when and how often it was checked. An increased level needs to be confirmed by several checks to make sure it was not caused by events happening just before the check like cycling, riding, sex, an inflammation, natural fluctuations due to seasonal effects or the time of the day.

I also used to be a Platinum Buzzer....sigh...

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838816

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Starfish2 wrote: @Davenorave
You didn't say when and how often it was checked. An increased level needs to be confirmed by several checks to make sure it was not caused by events happening just before the check like cycling, riding, sex, an inflammation, natural fluctuations due to seasonal effects or the time of the day.

Having diabetes and not controlling it very well, I've had blood tests three or four times a year in recent times. They include a PSA test, which has recently shown a major rise in numbers, well above 100. This including urinary problems and, some weight loss prompted the current activity/intervention of my condition. But I have refused direct medical treatment of the prostate, believing it can do more harm than good.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Starfish2

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838822

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: Well not unless I am moonlighting on other side of the world in my spare time tongue.png :laugh:

yes it is hormonal suppression - so can affect libido/sexual function too - although as you mention that is not an issue for everyone.
I'm not sure what you mean by bodily changes?

I dont think so - just hot flushes sometimes - an annoying but manageable side effect for some people - I jokingly say Welcome to my World if men mention that - because of course, that is a common symptom of menopause for women too.

VK. With bodily changes, I was referring to the possibility of growing breasts, or perhaps weight gain with fat build up.

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3838901

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not that I have come across - and not listed in common side effect if you google the product.

this is a good article written in layman's terms: www.healthline.com/health/drugs/zoladex-side-effects

P S A Levels. 3 months 2 weeks ago #3839218

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Oh! deary me. I have just had another phone call from the urology Doctor about undergoing. The already declined. Bone scan and biopsy. He seems intent upon getting his medical instruments on my extremely reluctant prostate. I have agreed to the bone scan, but I do not trust in the biopsy and told him I was putting my faith in the hormone injections. Those clever people that know about these things. Am I taking the right decision???

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds