TOPIC: P S A Levels.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809817

• Davenorave
  • Davenorave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 273
  • Honor Medal 2010
This might be one for the men, but I do not preclude women with knowledgable answers.
I was wondering if anyone knows why my PSA test results show it rising? What causes this rise? Is there anything that I can do to reduce my levels?
I ask because I am on the brink of medical intervention, something I wish to avoid. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809819

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1425
  • Honor Medal 2010
Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by prostate gland cells.

PSA often rises with age.
Elevated levels may indicate prostate cancer, but PSA levels can also be affected by other things, such as an enlarged prostate, or simply a urinary tract infection.

It depends on what sort of symptoms you may be having as to why your doctor ordered the test in the first place.

My husband was found to have an enlarged prostate over 6 years ago which is simply controlled by medication.

Subsequent PSA tests have shown stability in his levels since.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave, Keeper, Robin

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809828

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by prostate gland cells.

Elevated levels may indicate prostate cancer, but PSA levels can also be affected by other things, such as an enlarged prostate, or simply a urinary tract infection.

It depends on what sort of symptoms you may be having as to why your doctor ordered the test in the first place.

My husband was found to have an enlarged prostate over 6 years ago which is simply controlled by medication.

Subsequent PSA tests have shown stability in his levels since.

Thank you, Pats. Reassuring. My prostate is enlarged, and I have urinary associated symptoms, other than that nuisance and inconvenience I have lost a bit of weight.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809837

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 953
  • Honor Medal 2010
While prostate cancer does cause a rise in PSA, it is not the only condition that does. Having benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), more commonly known as an enlarged prostate, can certainly increase PSA. Medication to treat that will bring down the PSA. The doctor uses the PSA in combination with the physical exam and review of your symptoms to determine the cause.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809845

• Hoot N Annie
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 132
  • Honor Medal 2010
I recently switched PCPs, and the new guy performed a prostate exam and a separate test for cancer on the last visit, I go back next week to go over the results of that and a home-based sleep study.

Getting old ain't for sissies.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave, Robin

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809924

• GerryM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 334
  • Honor Medal 2010
Go see your doctor and listen to his advice.

It's certainly not uncommon.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davenorave, Robin

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3809940

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1425
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davenorave wrote:

Pats wrote: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by prostate gland cells.

Subsequent PSA tests have shown stability in his levels since

Thank you, Pats. Reassuring. My prostate is enlarged, and I have urinary associated symptoms, other than that nuisance and inconvenience I have lost a bit of weight.

Yes, my husband presented with urinary symptoms ie frequent micturition especially at night.

I am pleased that you are getting it sorted and I wish you well.

Happy to help.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3810109

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 662
  • Honor Medal 2010
Had mine checked yesterday 1.5 which is about my avg. Had a friend never checked in his life then checked with an 18 he lived 4 more months afterwards he was eaten up with cancer. I get my blood checked 4 times a year and PSA every time along with A1C, Hepatitis, Cholesterol and other things.

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

P S A Levels. 3 months 3 weeks ago #3810660

• GerryM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 334
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thats a good idea, it's not something that you get symptoms.

P S A Levels. 1 month 2 weeks ago #3838061

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I went to the urologist at the hospital, where he examined my prostate. He considered it sus ordered an MRI and bone scan. He also booked me in for a Prostate biopsy. I had an MRI, but decided to forego the bone scan and biopsy. The urologist removed me from his list, and I considered that an end to it. However, I have since received 2 further phone calls from the hospital, one to reinvite me for the bone scan. The other to offer an alternative treatment, that being. Hormone Injections into the stomach. I decided to accept that alternative, and so it is being set up with my Doctor as we speak. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this procedure and could enlighten me further. My PSA levels are through the roof and doing nothing. (As the Nurse pointed out) was risky.

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds