Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes

Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 6 months ago #2923937

• Eira
  • Eira's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8547
  • Honor Medal 2010
I thought I'd just share something I have just discovered, in case it may help someone else.

If your weight is above the normal healthy range and you are considering joining a slimming club or a gym to help you lose weight and get fitter, it may be worthwhile checking out what free support is on offer from your local Council first.

In the past publicly funded weight management support was only available if you were classed as obese and you needed a GP referral to access the service but nowadays more local Councils offer Weight Management Programmes to those who are in the 'overweight' category as well as 'obese' - and you can apply to join the programme yourself without needing a medical referral, if you meet the criteria for their scheme.
There seem to be different schemes in different areas, so you would need to check what is on offer in your area, either via your local Council website or via a council run leisure centre or gym.

For example, my local council offer a scheme to any adult resident who has a BMI of 25 or above and you can apply without any GP referral.
Their scheme is called "Take that Step"
It is a free 12 week structured adult weight management programme which is fully funded by the County Council Public Health and includes 1-2-1 support from a qualified health & wellbeing officer , weekly workshops including nutritional advice, a weekly weigh in and a prescribed physical activity plan, according to your own individual physical capabilities.
These sessions take place at the local leisure centre and all participants receive free access to the leisure centre facilities (which is, essentially, free membership of the leisure centre and free use of all the gym and swimming pool facilities)
If you successfully complete the 12 weeks and achieve an agreed weight loss target you will be entitled to a further free 12 weeks maintenance programme and free membership of the leisure centre.
After this, if you decide to continue to use the leisure centre facilities, you will be offered a discounted membership fee.

I think this is a great scheme to help people establish new healthy eating and activity habits to manage their weight and fitness issues, not just to tackle existing obesity but before one gets to the stage of being obese or medically unfit.
Often, people join a slimming club or join a gym when their weight starts creeping up but the subscription costs can be a deterrent - this free scheme seems to combine the benefits of both and could be the kick start some folk need to get into the habit of a healthier lifestyle.

Anyway, I have just applied to join the scheme and my first session is in 3 weeks time.
If anyone else finds a similar scheme in their area and is thinking of joining and wants to know how I get on, I'd be happy to let you know.
If anyone here has already used a similar local authority Weight Management Scheme, it would be good to hear your thoughts and how you got on.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 6 months ago #2923945

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 10686
  • Honor Medal 2010
Excellent advice Eira..

The NHS also offer help and advice and an online weight loss plan.

www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/weight-loss-guide/Pa...ight-loss-guide.aspx
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 6 months ago #2924197

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11034
  • Honor Medal 2010
Sounds good Eira.

I know there have been some similar programs here, free or very low cost.

My friend was doing one specifically for retired people over 60 and it was really beneficial.

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 1 month ago #3014438

• JBaker65
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Buzz50

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 3 weeks ago #3033562

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Sorry for not responding to your post, JBaker. I had forgotten about this thread and only just seen your post.
I hope the info was useful and that you were able to find a scheme in your local area.

An update on my experience:

The free gym membership really motivated me to increase my fitness activity. I have been trying all the different group exercise classes to find those which suit me best, plus using the gym for regular work outs.
The weekly weigh-ins and talks during the first 12 weeks of my programme kick started my weight loss of around 2lbs per week and I am now on a further 12 week maintenance programme, just popping in to get weighed once a fortnight to keep me on track.

So far, I have lost 34lbs and have more energy and feel much fitter.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, Pats, Vegemite Kid

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 1 year 3 weeks ago #3033665

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4340
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well done Eira !! That’s awesome!

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 8 months 1 week ago #3128512

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've just remembered this thread and realised I haven't updated it for 4 months.

Since my last posting, I finished my second 12 week weight loss programme.
Although my first 12 weeks resulted in an average weight loss of 2lbs per week, my second 12 week "maintenance" programme gave me an average weight loss of 1lb per week.
I have now finished this monitored programme but have continued my gym membership and the exercise and healthy eating habits I have developed and have continued a slow but steady weight loss.
It took me 9 months from when I first started to finally achieve my ultimate goal of losing a full 3 stones (42lbs)

I feel so much fitter and healthier now. It's mainly exercise that has increased my metabolism and I have discovered that I can lose weight steadily and consistently if I maintain a consistent level of exercise and a healthy, balanced eating plan, I can eat a varied and interesting range of foods, including occasional treats.

My goal now is to continue this lifestyle to maintain the healthy BMI I have achieved.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

Last edit: by Eira.

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 8 months 1 week ago #3128515

• Tachyon
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1606
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well done you! Amazing what people can achieve with willpower and determination. I salute you! :)

Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 8 months 1 week ago #3128529

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11034
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well done Eira!! (;;)

Good example of a steady weight loss, sticking at a long term Eat less, Move more program.
The only way that really works. smile.png

Re:Free support for weight loss and increased fitness from Council funded schemes 8 months 1 week ago #3128540

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks, Tachyon & Vege.
It really didn't take much determination once I got started - my journey has been more of a pleasure than a pain.
The hardest bit was acknowledging I needed to make changes and getting started - the discipline of regular weigh-ins and pre-booked exercise classes helped me initially to get focused and "in the groove", after that, the rest was easy.
The programme I was on had no set "diet" or "banned foods", just an emphasis on exercise and eating a healthy balanced diet and discussions about planning menus to fit in with your lifestyle.
The underlying principle of the programme is that short term "diets" don't work because it takes about 6 months for changes in eating / exercise patterns to become established habits.

Last edit: by Eira.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds