TOPIC: Impeachment Trial

Impeachment Trial 2 months 3 weeks ago #3384068

• eleramune
  • eleramune's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1376
  • Honor Medal 2010
The long awaited impeachment trial of trump has finally begun with the swearing in of Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts and the oaths taken by of all one hundred United States Senators.

The Constitution requires two-thirds of the Senate, in this case 67 senators, to vote to convict and remove.
Trump's fate lies in the hands of 20 GOP senators, the number needed to join the 45 Democratic senators and two independent senators, who normally side with Democrats, to vote to convict him and end his presidency, assuming they all vote to remove Trump.

Yes, it's a huge long shot that 20 Republican senators will vote to send trump packing, especially given Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell statement last week saying there's "no chance" that Trump will be removed.

Trump took to Twitter to let us all know how he’s feeling about it:

Donald J. Trump 12:39 PM - 16 Jan 2020

"I JUST GOT IMPEACHED FOR MAKING A PERFECT PHONE CALL!"

Well no, he didn't "just" get impeached, that happened last month but he can’t even get that right.
He's either in deep denial or the man is totally clueless!!!

So, let it begin!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, borninthe60s

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Impeachment Trial 2 months 3 weeks ago #3384106

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8710
  • Honor Medal 2010
He's in deep denial. He doesn't acknowledge his wrongs, indeed he seems incapable of doing so. . That said, I don't think it will have any effect on his popularity.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, eleramune, Rose57

It’s easy to stay with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.
Last edit: by Aida.

Impeachment Trial 2 months 3 weeks ago #3384380

• eleramune
  • eleramune's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1376
  • Honor Medal 2010
Trump impeachment trial will kicks into high gear next Tuesday.

Today, trump introduced two new counsels, Alan Dershowitz and Kenneth Starr.
The two will defend him during the Senate impeachment trial.

Both lawyers previously represented billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein but Dershowitz has deeper ties to sex predator Epstein...he was accused to have sex with underage girls.
On the other hand, Starr was forced to resign as the President of Baylor University because of the massive cover up scandal over rapes and other sexual assaults from students.

I guess corrupt people hire corrupt lawyers...This is sooooo bizarre!!!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare

Impeachment Trial 2 months 3 weeks ago #3384458

• Corvette
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 749
  • Honor Medal 2010
We both know some people have something to hide or this would not have happened. The people we
have put in office know the whole real truth can not be told. There would be too many people going to
jail. As we see the news now there is a new report about other people do wrong things. When people
vote on these new ideas , it will only be a vote to protect their own self. Real facts and laws may be
the answer this time.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, eleramune

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385162

• Shadowman
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1128
  • Honor Medal 2010
On one hand it is one of those tragic episodes in history. On the other it has it's humorous moments:

Dershowitz is on the job. And he says he kept his underwear on during his massages at Epstein's mansion. newspunch.com/dershowitz-says-he-kept-hi...at-epsteins-mansion/

"I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you." Nietzsche

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385290

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4016
  • Honor Medal 2010
It doesnt matter what he does, his mob (his party and his trumpeteers) will let nothing happen to their holy one...

They will not see what trump has done, so this whole thing is a farce.

But...fact is, trump is an impeached president. Nothing can change that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, eleramune, Ms Chey, borninthe60s

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385502

• Seeker80
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
When I saw this topic I wanted to run out my back door and go screaming into the night. But, I cannot avoid speaking about it once. So, here goes: I and millions of others like me in the USA have Trump fatigue. Yes, government is now like a reality show. Yes, I will watch the upcoming trial. Yes, I will observe all the comings and goings of the pols during the campaign. Yes, I will vote. And then, live with the outcome. God help us all! Thank you all for your input. Some very interesting comments here.

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385566

• Serena77
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 19116
  • Honor Medal 2010
Artificial Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tried to attach glitz and glamor to the most repugnant political act in all of American history yesterday
Imagine Pelosi handing out commemorative pens—with her name on them—after signing a resolution to transmit two articles of impeachment against President Trump to the Senate for trial!
Gall never had it so good!

The commemorative pens are the equivalent of Pelosi perfuming the feces-filled streets of the once beautiful San Francisco, now one of the nation’s biggest health threats after Pelosi left it to rot while playing out the Impeachment Game.
“Nancy Pelosi’s souvenir pens served up on silver platters to sign the sham articles of impeachment,” White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham tweeted in response. “She was so somber as she gave them away to people like prizes.”

Pelosi’s ‘giveaway’ is in reality, a takeaway stripping away the voting rights of some 63 million who voted for her arch enemy Donald Trump in 2016.

MARK SIMONE

@MarkSimoneNY

Embarrassing spectacle - Pelosi using sterling silver platters and handing out ceremonial pens to everyone in sight, made it ridiculously theatrical and so tacky and clownish. What goofballs: #IMPOTUS #ImpeachmentDay
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R, RunsWithBeer, MondayOptimist

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385573

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9955
  • Honor Medal 2010
Here in UK, we probably don’t get as much coverage of The Impeachment proceedings against Trump as you must get in US but we get some reports about it.

I watched the Impeachment ceremony, where the Articles of Impeachment were signed and saw them being carried into the Senate. It had an air of an ancient British Parliamentary ritual, with the solemn procession of the Articles through the Chamber and cries of “Hear ye” etc

I was perplexed when I saw Nancy Pelosi taking up one pen after another to sign her name - at first, I thought it was an unfortunate glitch and it was a batch of faulty pens which weren’t working! I remember thinking that it was fortunate there was some spare pens handy and that the administration staff should have checked the pen was working beforehand! :lol:

Then I saw an article on our BBC news, which explained there was a longstanding tradition in USA of using several pens to sign historic documents, so they can be kept as souvenirs - sounds a bit daft to me but every country has developed its own peculiar traditions, I suppose.

“This is actually a long-standing US tradition - since President Franklin Roosevelt, presidents have frequently used multiple pens to sign high-profile pieces of legislation, so they can be offered as souvenirs and historical keepsakes.
President Donald Trump joked that he was running out of pens as he signed legislation on his inauguration day - while President Barack Obama used 22 pens to sign the Affordable Care Act into law.
Ms Pelosi has faced criticism for using several pens to sign the impeachment articles - with Republican critics saying she appeared to be celebrating what was supposed to be a sombre moment.
Her office, however, argued that while impeachment is "tragic... it is indisputably historic when the Constitution and its balance of power reasserts itself."
Back in 1998, Republican senators also kept pens as souvenirs after signing oaths for the impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton - although those pens had typos on the text inscribed on them, and had to be reissued.”

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51139740

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

Impeachment Trial 2 months 2 weeks ago #3385594

• Serena77
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 19116
  • Honor Medal 2010
The signing ceremony was covered live by CNN, and social media quickly lit up with pundits slamming the optics of Pelosi smiling while divvying out the pens to impeachment managers and others while appearing to celebrate after months of referring to impeachment as a "sad" and "somber" effort on the part of Democrats.

Self-proclaimed never-Trumper Tom Nichols tweeted that "Pelosi has handled the optics of impeachment well, right until that signing ceremony, which was awkward. Handing out pens should have been done in private. This was not some celebratory moment."

Tom Nichols

@RadioFreeTom

Pelosi has handled the optics of impeachment well, right up until that signing ceremony, which was awkward. Handing out pens should have been done in private. This was not some celebratory moment.

5:31 PM - Jan 15, 2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, MondayOptimist

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds