Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: One year from today

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3347864

  • KayyGee
  • KayyGee's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2494
  • Well said received: 3755
  • Points: 438694
  • Honor Medal 2010
And another hit for Trumps re-election chances, after stumping 3 times for the Republican candidate in another ruby Red State the Democrat incumbent, John Bel Edwards, has been re-elected as Governor.

I predict some rage tweets from Trump with copious excuses as to why it wasn't his fault, he might even ask for his money back, well the money he made the Feds give Louisiana to curry favor with the electorate over an expansion of its natural gas exports.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3347899

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 3393
  • Well said received: 3706
  • Points: 3886
  • Honor Medal 2010
Here in U.K. on 12th December 2019,we vote for Boris Johnson to either remain as Prime Minister,or vote for a new prime minister,
This time next year,Americans vote for the re election of President Trump,or a new President,
No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3347904

  • Mykle
  • Mykle's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1026
  • Well said received: 1347
  • Points: 18483
  • Honor Medal 2010

Gabby Hayes wrote:

grahamg wrote: Thanks for the info, did Warren's grandfather avoid army service, and as a result get refused permission to re-enter the country of his birth too? :unsure: .

Senator Warren's paternal grandfather, Grant Leslie Herring (1887–1969), was born in Missouri. Her maternal grandfather, Harry Gunn Reed (1872–1956), was born in Illinois. Both being native born Americans, there was never any question of being refused re-entry to their country of birth since neither ever left.

As far as military service goes, Grant Herring (no relation to Red) would have been 30 years old in 1917 when the WWI draft was begun to send Americans overseas to rescue England for the first time in the last century. Since he was married and had children by then he would have initially received an exemption on those grounds. Harry Reed would have been 45 in 1917 and thus too old to be drafted.

Am I correct in assuming that your reference to avoiding military service was a jab at former President Bill Clinton for his numerous successful attempts to escape service during the Vietnam War? smile.png

The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, GerryM
Last edit: by Mykle.
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3348099

  • Corvette
  • Corvette's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 951
  • Well said received: 749
  • Points: 15183
  • Honor Medal 2010
I do believe a year from now we will understand such words as hearsay, real facts, and which
laws are just made up or did someone really break a law. I am waiting to see how many people
really understand who is right or wrong.
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3348140

  • Mykle
  • Mykle's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1026
  • Well said received: 1347
  • Points: 18483
  • Honor Medal 2010

Mykle wrote:

Gabby Hayes wrote:

grahamg wrote: Thanks for the info, did Warren's grandfather avoid army service, and as a result get refused permission to re-enter the country of his birth too? :unsure: .

Senator Warren's paternal grandfather, Grant Leslie Herring (1887–1969), was born in Missouri. Her maternal grandfather, Harry Gunn Reed (1872–1956), was born in Illinois. Both being native born Americans, there was never any question of being refused re-entry to their country of birth since neither ever left.

As far as military service goes, Grant Herring (no relation to Red) would have been 30 years old in 1917 when the WWI draft was begun to send Americans overseas to rescue England for the first time in the last century. Since he was married and had children by then he would have initially received an exemption on those grounds. Harry Reed would have been 45 in 1917 and thus too old to be drafted.

Am I correct in assuming that your reference to avoiding military service was a jab at former President Bill Clinton for his numerous successful attempts to escape service during the Vietnam War? smile.png


None of the above has anything to do with me !! I didnt write any of it .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 3 weeks ago #3348880

  • Vegemite Kid
  • Vegemite Kid's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 9302
  • Well said received: 9692
  • Points: 223092
  • Honor Medal 2010
What on earth difference does it make what anyone's grandfather did???

Voting is for the candidate, not their family :unsure:
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 2 weeks ago #3350074

  • grahamg
  • grahamg's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2767
  • Well said received: 1962
  • Points: 99770
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: What on earth difference does it make what anyone's grandfather did???

Voting is for the candidate, not their family :unsure:


It might matter if your grandfather was Adolf Hitler.

I suppose family connection must carry some weight in the public's mind too, or else there would never have been any attention drawn to the Kennedy family, or the Churchill family, where generations and/or family members held high public office. smile.png :evil: .
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 2 weeks ago #3350125

  • Annette
  • Annette's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 3681
  • Well said received: 4016
  • Points: 87207
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote: It might matter if your grandfather was Adolf Hitler.
.


Why is that?
Is it written in stone that grandchildren have the same views on life as their grandparents?
LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 2 weeks ago #3350145

  • Vegemite Kid
  • Vegemite Kid's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 9302
  • Well said received: 9692
  • Points: 223092
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: What on earth difference does it make what anyone's grandfather did???

Voting is for the candidate, not their family :unsure:


It might matter if your grandfather was Adolf Hitler.

I suppose family connection must carry some weight in the public's mind too, or else there would never have been any attention drawn to the Kennedy family, or the Churchill family, where generations and/or family members held high public office. smile.png :evil: .



No it wouldnt matter if your grandfather was Hitler - you should be judged on your own views and actions, not those of your relatives.

Families might have children follow in parents footsteps and family might have money and opportunity and inclination to encourage this - but the candidate is till voted in or not as themself.
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 4 months 2 weeks ago #3350269

  • grahamg
  • grahamg's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2767
  • Well said received: 1962
  • Points: 99770
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annette wrote:

grahamg wrote: It might matter if your grandfather was Adolf Hitler.
.


Why is that?
Is it written in stone that grandchildren have the same views on life as their grandparents?


No, not written in stone but I'd just like to be cautious, just in case...….!
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.