Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: One year from today

One year from today 5 months 3 days ago #3341789

• Gabby Hayes
  • Gabby Hayes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tuesday, November 3, 2020 – a mere 365 days away – will be the 59th quadrennial United States presidential election.

Voters in each of our 50 states will select presidential electors who in turn on December 14, 2020, will gather in Washington to either elect a new president and vice president or re-elect the incumbents.

If no candidate receives the minimum 270 electoral votes needed to win the election, the United States House of Representatives will select the president from three candidates that received the most electoral votes, and the United States Senate will select the vice president from the candidates that received the two highest totals.

The series of presidential primary elections and caucuses is likely to be held during the first six months of 2020. This nominating process is also an indirect election, where voters cast ballots selecting a slate of delegates to a political party's nominating convention, who then in turn elect their party's presidential nominee and his or her vice presidential running mate.

Seems like it's already been going on far too long. smile.png

Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

One year from today 5 months 2 days ago #3341886

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3755
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well it appears that the 2020 election season hasn't started well for Trump. After his whirlwind trip to Kentucky for a rally to support the Republican candidate for Governor, in which Trump implored his supporters to vote for the Republican or he'd be very upset. So after the count, Democrat Andy Beshear claimed victory in the Kentucky governor's race, but, as is becoming commonplace with Republicans, Republican Gov. Matt Bevin said he is not conceding. He seems to be the only one who thinks he still has a chance of saving the race. Could be the first shock for Trump in his red Red State support base.

Things are better in Mississippi , with the Republican winning over his Democrat rival, though in one of the reddest of Red States isn't surprising, what is cause for Republican concern is just how close it was. Trump has already jumped on the band wagon, congratulating the winner.

But in another blow to Trump, Republicans lost control of both Houses in Virginia for the first time in nearly 3 decades.

The overall outcome from the races showed significant, and growing, strength for the Democrats in the suburbs while the Republicans maintained support in the shrinking rural areas.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, Rips, eleramune, Poppy, Pete3

One year from today 5 months 2 days ago #3341892

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3049
  • Honor Medal 2010
Seems even more convoluted than our political system.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342381

• Serena77
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 19115
  • Honor Medal 2010
Oh yeah, popcorn - time! Can't wait for the debates - Dem. line-up has zilch to offer. Trump hopefully will go off script as he often does. Trump will surely make mincemeat out of any of their Candidates. It is so amusing and so much fodder for MSM to pick up the next day! Of course they will be incensed!
"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342424

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1858
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: Oh yeah, popcorn - time! Can't wait for the debates - Dem. line-up has zilch to offer. Trump hopefully will go off script as he often does. Trump will surely make mincemeat out of any of their Candidates. It is so amusing and so much fodder for MSM to pick up the next day! Of course they will be incensed!

I'd love to see him debate Bernie. Kamala would be good too.
Any Democrat offers a lot more than Trump can and of course some are offering more than others.
It's not "they" that will be incensed. Trump is already incensed about lots of things, especially his own party.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, eleramune, hcf3sf, Poppy
“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342425

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6540
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wish the Trump would keep his sticky beak out of the U.K. general election .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cestrian, QuietMouse01, Dan Dare, GerryM, eleramune

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342426

• grahamg
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1962
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rips wrote:

I've sort of vowed to keep my sticky beak out of what happens in the US because of the event due there one year hence, but had to enquire where the "sticky beak" comment comes from, and why its sticky? smile.png .

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342430

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3755
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

Rips wrote:

I've sort of vowed to keep my sticky beak out of what happens in the US because of the event due there one year hence, but had to enquire where the "sticky beak" comment comes from, and why its sticky? smile.png .

If you truly don't know, the term "Stickybeak" (no space in Oz) refers to a person who sticks their beak (nose) uninvited into other peoples business. I don't know where it originated but I've used it all my life. The shortened have a "Sticky' means to have a look at something and can be used in both a negative and positive fashion. For example, "I'm going to sneek round and have a sticky in the neighbors backyard" (not really) or "Give me a sticky at ya new car".

The Stickybeak is related to the Nosey Parker.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, grahamg, eleramune

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342436

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6540
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

Rips wrote:

Stickybeak errr my iPad likes it separate , although I bow to KeeGee knowledge , refers to someone who has a unfortunate habit of prying into other people’s business .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, grahamg

One year from today 5 months 1 day ago #3342488

• Gabby Hayes
  • Gabby Hayes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It turns out that Trump and Warren have something in common. Both of their forebears sold real estate in Manhattan. :lol:
Last edit: by Pats. Reason: unnecessary name calling removed.
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds