Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Nationalism -v - multiculturalism

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326419

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1546
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote: I don't think anyone minds anyone from foreign shores setting up home in the UK I just think people take exception to spongers and crime rings coming here to use the old term rape and pillaging the good people unfortunately there are far to many in the UK.
We are a multicultural society and long may that continue just without the criminals imported we have enough british ones to deal with.

You may remember from your history books, Britain once banished those convicted of crimes to far off lands, including the "Tolpuddle Martyrs", where low and behold they became citizens, or many of them did, as good as the people who sent them, and to confound us all came back generations later and beat us at test cricket. smile.png .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, NewTricks, Just John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326448

• fitzgarabaldi
  • fitzgarabaldi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 609
  • Honor Medal 2010
just started reading, again "A History of the English speaking people" by Winston Churchill in which he recounts the development of a multicultural society in this nation since at least 55 BC - I guess we have had some practice?
The following user(s) said Well Said: grahamg

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326451

• fitzgarabaldi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

ThedukeofEarl wrote: For balance

A new peer reviewed study by Danish academics has found that ethnic diversity has a negative impact on communities because it erodes trust.

summit.news/2019/10/07/new-peer-reviewed...y-is-not-a-strength/

just a reminder for those who don't understand research OR don't believe it !!! - a quote from the study - poo hoo or worth a guernsey??

[ In other words, mass immigration is eroding community trust and harming society.

“Diversity is a strength” is a glib, onerous, empty aphorism that is shoved down our throats as a piece of received wisdom that only racists would deny.

It may be politically correct, but has no basis in actual reality.][/i]

with all due respect it might be useful to read the attached article before attacking!!

Last edit: by fitzgarabaldi.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326454

• fitzgarabaldi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: It backfires when citizens of a country are told that refugees are more important than citizens even during times where they faced severe sexual assault, physical assault, and the like. This bred a rise in nationalism where people who wore the hat of "true patriots" spoke out against this while their governments bit their tongues in political correctness.

There has been this rise in anti-political correctness which runs counter to the "accepting/universalistic" nature of the left. We currently have a culture which is willing to put their own values aside in the name of making people from backward parts of the world feel welcome. You can take that as offensive, but any part of the world which treats women as second-class citizens is a backwards part of the world. That isn't an attack against a race, that is an attack against a culture. There are plenty of people who immigrated from backwards parts of the world and believe in equality and dignity for all people. These comments have nothing to do with race or background.

People were told for years that they should feel ashamed for having pride their home countries. "That is wrong and you are a racist/bigot for having pride in one country over others." That's like saying you shouldn't love your own parents more than someone else's parents. Your home is your home and your culture is your culture. Saying that love for one's home country is bigotry doesn't make any sense. The fact I want what is best for my home country and I am not willing to put another country ahead of my needs is not racism or bigotry, that is simple common sense.

Serena77, I may be in error but you seem to be quoting in some sections of your above account ? ; if so can you provide some reference points? ta

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326475

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1952
  • Honor Medal 2010

fitzgarabaldi wrote:

Serena77 wrote: It backfires when citizens of a country are told that refugees are more important than citizens even during times where they faced severe sexual assault, physical assault, and the like. This bred a rise in nationalism where people who wore the hat of "true patriots" spoke out against this while their governments bit their tongues in political correctness.

There has been this rise in anti-political correctness which runs counter to the "accepting/universalistic" nature of the left. We currently have a culture which is willing to put their own values aside in the name of making people from backward parts of the world feel welcome. You can take that as offensive, but any part of the world which treats women as second-class citizens is a backwards part of the world. That isn't an attack against a race, that is an attack against a culture. There are plenty of people who immigrated from backwards parts of the world and believe in equality and dignity for all people. These comments have nothing to do with race or background.

People were told for years that they should feel ashamed for having pride their home countries. "That is wrong and you are a racist/bigot for having pride in one country over others." That's like saying you shouldn't love your own parents more than someone else's parents. Your home is your home and your culture is your culture. Saying that love for one's home country is bigotry doesn't make any sense. The fact I want what is best for my home country and I am not willing to put another country ahead of my needs is not racism or bigotry, that is simple common sense.

Serena77, I may be in error but you seem to be quoting in some sections of your above account ? ; if so can you provide some reference points? ta

Multi Culturalism is already here. It was here when I was a kid, all over the US. So that's beating a dead horse. We are a nation of immigrants so get used to it.
The sheltering of refugees is a core value, it's a good thing.
My values are compassion, acceptance and kindness. When people come here they are not looking to get revenge or to start criminal enterprises, for the most part they come here to make a better life, work and contribute.
I have not lost my cultural heritage, and I can enjoy other cultures. Stigmatizing people is not productive, that's spreads hate and intolerance. Every country has things in their past that they are not proud of and hopefully they learn from them. You can't forget history unless you want to repeat it. You can be proud of the good in our country (or yours). You can be proud of our accomplishments and critical at the same time.
The 'left' is the birthplace of freedom, women's rights, worker's rights, working together to make everyone's life better, providing opportunity, a clean environment, a save environment.
Nationalism is a step backward, it's a way of enforcing false pride and trying to erase/ignore mistakes, promoting racism, jingoism, fascism. You can be proud of your country without withdrawing from the world. You can be respectful of other nations and their cultures without calling them S-holes or backwards. You can support just causes and not force our values on other people.
We must be proud of our accomplishments and tolerance, that's the best way to be.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cestrian, Vegemite Kid, WinterLily, Just John, fitzgarabaldi

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326504

• fitzgarabaldi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
U.S. Politics & Policy

4. Race, immigration and discrimination

Views about immigrants and the nation largely parallel attitudes about whether openness to people from all over the world is an essential aspect of the national character: 68% say openness to foreigners is essential to “who we are as a nation,” while 29% say that if America is too open to people from all over the world “we risk losing our identity as a nation.” (For more on this question, see the Aug. 4, 2017 post, “Most Americans view openness to foreigners as ‘essential to who we are as a nation.”)

www.people-press.org/2017/10/05/4-race-i...-and-discrimination/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 1 month 4 days ago #3326512

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4224
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks Kedro :xxx:

Just John wrote: They're cattle I think, had them on a farm we stayed on once, fabulous unpasteurised milk.

Yes, they are.
I expect you dont imply I am a cow, though...:laugh:

And they are very beautiful, famous horses too ;-)
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds