Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Nationalism -v - multiculturalism

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325292

• fitzgarabaldi
  • fitzgarabaldi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 603
  • Honor Medal 2010
Trump has highlighted the need for stronger nationalism and the ozzie PM has repeated the mantra. To paraphrase, someone on TV the other day said " Countries need to be proud of their history and support their national image; social mores and social and religious practices - they are not entitled to be swamped by large popns of immigrants with different images, social mores and socila and religious practices"

this is what Trump and Morrison are getting at. And yet OZ is lauded as the most successful multicultural country on the planet [ disputes accepted !]

Morrison is contradicting himself - the old national identity of OZ is vanishing and everyone is embracing the new mix of cultures and nationalities. Inter-marriages are common to. After Angela Merkels swamped Germany with refuges surrounding countries closed their borders and were really proclaiming a state of nationalism!

I live in OZ and find the mix of nationalities and customs embracing and stimulating and the Indigenous popn [original] are making their presence and voices heard too.

so old nationalism has disappeared and I am not sure what Morrison is on about? I am equally sure that the older mores of UK, USA and many other countries are also changing. So hanging onto nationalism might be rather like holding onto a dead dodo??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325313

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10077
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm often not sure what Morrison is on about. :huh:

However countries like US and America harping on about immigrants taking over their culture is rather absurd - what do people think whites did to the indigenous peoples ???

And I don't think it has to be nationalism vs multiculturalism, ie they don't have to be in conflict. We can be multicultural and proud of our unique melting pot heritage
I'm sure as an Australian you are familiar with the song We are Australian - one of my favourite songs and it sums up this concept.

The chorus for those unfamiliar with it.....
We are one, but we are many and from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice I am, you are, we are Australian.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, pascalou, Eira, Yo, Morgeno1, WinterLily, eleramune, Pottyanne

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325331

• GerryM
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 235
  • Honor Medal 2010
I kind of think the tribes;
Historically, the English population is descended from several peoples — the earlier Britons (or Brythons) and the Germanic tribes that settled in Britain following the withdrawal of the Romans, including Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians.

Perhaps the tribes of those peoples would like you foriegners to leave.
I know the Indian Tribes of the US would vote yest for it.

There always has been and always will be multiculturalism. To think otherwise it to be a very narrowminded person.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, altshovel, cestrian, Vegemite Kid, Eira, Yo, Krystalle, eleramune

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325381

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8164
  • Honor Medal 2010
I thank God that The UK is 'multicultural' . It's great , especially as we now have a woman of colour in the Royal Family. Off topic, but worth a mention.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, Yo, Krystalle

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.
Last edit: by Aida.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325403

• Rhett1
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1695
  • Honor Medal 2010
Watch this space.. other than that I’m keeping stum
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325406

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4249
  • Honor Medal 2010

fitzgarabaldi wrote: After Angela Merkels swamped Germany with refuges surrounding countries closed their borders and were really proclaiming a state of nationalism!

What are you on about?
Chancellor Merkel did not ´swamp´ the country with refugees.
She merely gave some people driven away from home by wars started by a certain country a safe haven.
Like the surrounding countries did...

Seems you only read ´news´ coming from a certain group of people...
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325408

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

GerryM wrote: I kind of think the tribes;
Historically, the English population is descended from several peoples — the earlier Britons (or Brythons) and the Germanic tribes that settled in Britain following the withdrawal of the Romans, including Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians.

There always has been and always will be multiculturalism. To think otherwise it to be a very narrowminded person.

Like I, being from Frisian birth (and very proud of it), ´invaded´ the UK once, but left to ´invade´ Germany :xxx:

Like Fitzgarabaldi ´invaded´ Australia, I guess...says so on his profile.
I love the multi-cultural society I was raised in, I love the multi-cultural society I live in now...even if I only think of the food they brought...a week without a Döner is a lost week.
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Last edit: by Annette.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325410

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2890
  • Honor Medal 2010
No-one ever asked me if I wanted to be part of a multi-cultural society: It just seemed to happen.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325416

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8827
  • Honor Medal 2010
Nobody asked me either. I wasn’t even a distant twinkle in my mother’s eye when her Danish ancestors came a-viking to the British Isles and settled here. This multiculturism malarkey does just happen as populations move around the world and different cultures either co-exist or become partly absorbed into a Nation’s culture.
Multiculturism has been developing over many centuries.
I expect if one could travel back in time to any point where there was a major influx of people into an area, one would find dissatisfaction among the resident populace about it. I don’t suppose my Viking ancestors were welcomed in Britain with open arms but their history and some of the culture they brought with them is now part of our British heritage.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cestrian, pascalou, Vegemite Kid, Yo, eleramune

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

Nationalism -v - multiculturalism 2 months 6 days ago #3325437

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: ...our British heritage...

Maybe people should research where the English language comes from...we, the Danish and the Frisians, had something to do with that. Like the Germans ;-)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds