Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co.

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271026

• Annette
  • Annette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4248
  • Honor Medal 2010
We all know we need insects to provide our food.

Insects are underappreciated for their role in the food chain, inscts are food for many amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.

Insects dispose of wastes, dead animals and plants. It would be very messy if the didnt get rid of all this.

Insects pollinate our fruits, flowers, and vegetables. Without them there will be not enough food for us.

One third of our global food supply is pollinated by bees!

So we need insects.
Without insects there would not be a human (or other animals) would be able to survive.

German environment Minister Svenja Schulze says concerns over insect extinction have prompted demands for better safeguards. New research suggests 40 percent of insect species could be wiped out over the next few decades.

"We humans need insects," Schulze said. "They deserve protection from their own law. This not only to protect stag beetles and earth bumblebees, but above all ourselves."

The planned Insect Protection Act will likely contain binding requirements for changes to rules governing nature conservation, water resources, and plant protection, while further restricting the use of fertilizers, the German dpa news agency reported.

The law forms part of the Environment Ministry's Insect Protection Action Plan, which is due to be presented to the cabinet in April.

According to Bild, the wider plan earmarks some €100 million ($113 million) annually to protect insects, including €25 million for insect research.

There will be a stricter regulation of pesticide use, including the complete banning of the dangerous crop protector Glyphosate by 2023, new night-time lighting restrictions, as insects are disorientated by light, and limits on the use of new land for housing or road projects.

A new Australian study published in the ´Biological Conservation´, indicated that 40 percent of the world's insect species are in decline, and could become extinct over the next few decades caused by pesticide use, pollution, habitat loss, and climate change.

Similar research in protected areas of Germany found that insect abundance had declined by three-quarters over less than three decades.

President Steinmeier: 'We only have this one planet'

And he is right, eventhough other leaders dont seem th be able to see that.

trumps White House decided to stop collecting data on declining honey bee populations.

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) cited budget cuts when it said Saturday that it would indefinitely suspend data collection for its Honey Bee Colonies report, which has been compiled every year since 2015. The report helps scientists and farmers to assess the decline of honey bees, which are responsible for pollinating one in every three bites of food taken by humans."

US beekeepers reported last year that 40 percent of honey bee hives had collapsed, due to a combination of climate change, habitat loss, genetically modified crops and pesticides amongst others.

The decision to stop collecting data on bee colonies came just after the sulfoxaflor approval. (a systemic insecticide which acts as an insect neurotoxin and is a member of a class of chemicals called sulfoximines which act on the central nervous system of all insects.)

Sulfoxaflor exposure reduces bumblebee reproductive success.

In the 1950’s there were over 50 native species of bee in the UK, there are just 25 left.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is a phenomenon first noticed in the USA whereby entire colonies of bees simply died out thanks to hitherto unexplained circumstances.
There have been instances in the UK but it is not considered to be a major cause.
It is also put forward as a possible cause but is dismissed by those in the know.

One theory that does hold some water is the growth in genetically modified crops; bees, of course, love pollen and the theory is that modified pollens may be detrimental to the creatures.

Our governments need to be doing more to both investigate the bee decline problem and to encourage the public to do more to help bees instead of allowing and pushing the use of insecticides.

We are the ones who can do the most to help these wonderful, vital and generally harmless creatures that help us to keep supplied with the food we need to survive.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, Meeooow, Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Last edit: by Annette.

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271028

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3132
  • Honor Medal 2010
I really don’t like bees,wasps,
Everything else I am fine

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271043

• T65KBK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4741
  • Honor Medal 2010
I do. Just been out in the garden and the bees are humming up a storm all over the cotoneaster. ladybirds on the apple tree and a few cabbage whites but not many other butterflies on the buddleia.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Meeooow, Rose57

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271091

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: I really don’t like bees,wasps,
Everything else I am fine

Its not about liking them, this topic is about needing them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Meeooow, Rose57, T65KBK

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271092

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

T65KBK wrote: I do. Just been out in the garden and the bees are humming up a storm all over the cotoneaster. ladybirds on the apple tree and a few cabbage whites but not many other butterflies on the buddleia.

Our garden is designed to please us and the insects.
But it is scary that indeed only a few insects come to show...I can see a difference between now and a few years ago...
The following user(s) said Well Said: Meeooow, Rose57, T65KBK

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271097

• Meeooow
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3803
  • Honor Medal 2010
Certainly is concerning... my lavender bush was covered with bees in 2017, today I counted 4.
I live with farmland all around me and am angry that the farmers are still using Neonicotinoids.
One or two farmers have stopped but not enough is being done.
By a strange twist of fate, bees in cities are doing very well, people with rooftop hives and gardens report large numbers.
Time for the government to start clamping down rigorously, but I don't see them getting anywhere, standing up to monster companies like Bayer and Monsanto is daunting.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Jennet, Rose57

An eye for an eye, will only
make the whole world blind
-Mahatma Ghandi.
Last edit: by Meeooow.

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271098

• T65KBK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4741
  • Honor Medal 2010

Meeooow wrote: Certainly is concerning... my lavender bush was covered with bees in 2017, today I counted 4.
I live with farmland all around me and am angry that the farmers are still using Neonicotinoids.
One or two farmers have stopped but not enough is being done.
By a strange twist of fate, bees in cities are doing very well, people with rooftop hives and gardens report large numbers.
Time for the government to start clamping down rigorously. But I don't see them getting anywhere, standing up to monster companies like Bayer and Monsanto is daunting.

All the more reason for those of us who have gardens to grow plants that provide a food source for the insect population.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, kedro, Janquine, Meeooow, Rose57

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 4 days ago #3271107

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2584
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've made a concerted effort this year to plant and nurture as many insect loving plants in my garden as possible and have been rewarded as I have definitely seen more bees around in the past couple of months.

Although sadly I have yet to see a butterfly in my garden this year....where have they all gone? I have seen a few on my country walks so I guess they are still about.

Last night I had a lovely big bumble bee resting on my patio pavers which were still warm from the heat of the day. I think he/she was enjoying the bit of warmth from them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, kedro, Jennet, Meeooow, T65KBK

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 3 days ago #3271335

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4564
  • Honor Medal 2010
When I see green, beautiful, monoculture lawns; I see it as part of the problem. Only way to get that is to use weed killer fertilizers, restrict any biodiversity in the lawn, etc. To me, the more "wildflowers" I see in a lawn, the more beautiful it is.
Of course the really big problem is the huge corporate farms using tons of chemicals just to squeeze a bit more profit out of their fields. But that also eliminates the beneficial insects along with ones they are after - after which those chemicals are even more needed as the harmful (sort of) insects have no predators left - or are greatly reduced anyway. The more poison is used, the more poison is needed.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Jennet, Meeooow, Rose57, T65KBK

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Bees, butterflies, bumblebees and co. 5 months 3 days ago #3271361

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1085
  • Honor Medal 2010
I believe that everything is on this planet for a reason. We may not understand or like those reasons. We don't always like insects and see them as pests. But they have a purpose even if we cannot see it.

I sometimes think the planet knows what it needs to survive better than we do.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Meeooow, Rose57, T65KBK

The cat's flaps
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds