Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong....

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172102

• PopsnTuff
  • PopsnTuff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8306
  • Honor Medal 2010
A mating session between two Sumatran tigers at the ZSL London Zoo ended in grisly tragedy after the male lethally mauled the female....

www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/world/europe/london-zoo-tiger.html

Was it too soon for the two wildcats to meet?
Why didn’t keepers use tranquilizers when the encounter turned violent?

www.nytimes.com/2019/02/10/world/europe/...e=Article®ion=Foo

Similar situations happened a few more times in the past..its always the male who does the killing...read on
www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx...oo-article-1.1556999

fox6now.com/2016/02/11/mating-attempt-go...d-at-sacramento-zoo/
gazette.com/news/rare-cheyenne-mountain-...06-f8705a32b93c.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello August....can't wait for some cool days in September...

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172112

• norm1035
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 783
  • Honor Medal 2010
IMHO, man cannot predicted the behavior of wild animals in an unnatural environment. So this type of "accident" is bound to happen.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, PopsnTuff

"When a man flatters you, it is almost certain that he means to take your business, pick your pocket, or sleep with your wife. When a man flatters himself, he might just as well put a revolver in his mouth and pull the trigger, for he has lost all touch with reality." -- William Bonner and Addison Wiggin, THE NEW EMPIRE OF DEBT.

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172164

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11034
  • Honor Medal 2010
It possibly happens in the wild sometimes too and is part of natural population control.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172181

• oldal
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2814
  • Honor Medal 2010
Looks like playing "hard to get" is dangerous, .......if your a tiger.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff

................oldal................
“If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. “

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172252

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4078
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: It possibly happens in the wild sometimes too and is part of natural population control.

I think that is not completely true, animals in the wild have the possibility to avoid each other, or to run.

"The animals had been paired as possible mates as part of a European-wide conservation effort for the critically endangered subspecies. Asim — age 7, confident, handsome, playful — had been shipped in from Demark last month."

"He courted her for 10 days in a separate enclosure, the zoo said — “chuffing” at her and getting used to her sight and scent. Then he finally approached her."

The male had been moved from his comfortzone in Denmark a month ago.
He has been getting to ´know´ his mate for only 10 days...

I am no biologist, but that seems to be quite a lot of stress in a short time.
I would take longer to get my cat to get to know a new friend...

It is a shame, after all, not too many of this beautiful species survived humanity..:angry:

"However because the seven-year-old endangered Sumatran tiger is so vital to the global breeding program he will not be put down, reports the Sunday Times."

I surely hope not! Why would he be put down on human faults?
But maybe the keepers and vetenarians learned and maybe they decide to let the beautiful male be a sperm-donor now instead of a real life mate.

It cant be the same risk is taken with another female?
The following user(s) said Well Said: norm1035

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Last edit: by Annette.

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172253

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4078
  • Honor Medal 2010
"Why didn’t keepers use tranquilizers when the encounter turned violent?"

My thoughts exactly...

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172271

• Tachyon
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1606
  • Honor Medal 2010
They don't use tranqs as a first resort because tigers in a life-and-death battle will be far too hard to hit, moving as fast as they would have been doing, and because it would take maybe 30 to 60 seconds to take effect. They try and split them up with flares, water hoses and fire extinguishers, because it's fast, they are area of effect and do no harm. However, a tiger can kill in a split second and that's just the way it goes.

Zoos are not really effective at conserving species. An article on Radio 4 said that the number of species bred in zoos and successfully put back in the wild "could be numbered on a few pairs of hands". What's the point of releasing zoo-bred animals back into a world where their vanishing habitats are shrinking ever smaller? What do they eat when the food chain they depend on has been totally disrupted? Why bother releasing them back to where they will just be hunted back to the point of extinction again?

The money wasted in zoos would, the interviewer stated, be better spent preserving natural habitats and protecting the endangered species on their own turf. Basically, turn poachers into wardens and make the money from wildlife tourism the basis of the local economy.

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172315

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11034
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annette wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: It possibly happens in the wild sometimes too and is part of natural population control.

I think that is not completely true, animals in the wild have the possibility to avoid each other, or to run.

?

It might not be true at all, I have no idea - but am surmising it could well be that males do sometimes turn on the female after mating in the wild too - and that this works as a sort of natural selection population control thing.

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172325

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1824
  • Honor Medal 2010
Annette wrote: But maybe the keepers and vetenarians learned and maybe they decide to let the beautiful male be a sperm-donor now instead of a real life mate.

Nope, sorry, I read yesterday that they're going to find him a new mate.

London Zoo tiger mating gone wrong.... 6 months 1 week ago #3172355

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8547
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote: Annette wrote: But maybe the keepers and vetenarians learned and maybe they decide to let the beautiful male be a sperm-donor now instead of a real life mate.

Nope, sorry, I read yesterday that they're going to find him a new mate.

My first thought was why do they have to keep moving the tigers around from country to country instead of using Assisted Reproduction techniques.

When I looked into why, I discovered the success rate for Assisted Reproduction in tigers is very low because they have not perfected the biotechnology yet. There are still various difficulties associated with IVF, embryo transfer and in vivo sperm collection in big cats, and some particular difficulties with tigers.
Partly because the female tiger does not have a regular cycle of spontaneous ovulation but has "induced reflex ovulation" - in the wild, males and females don't usually hang around together except for mating, so when the tiger spends a few days mating with the tigress, some stimulation or physical component of the mating act triggers ovulation.
Egg collection for IVF can be done using a combination of hormone treatments but it sounds tricky.
There are also difficulties in collecting uncontaminated sperm from anaesthetised tigers and with embryo transfer into anaesthetised females.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds