Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Bigamy

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120105

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7459
  • Honor Medal 2010
This is the subject of a new TV drama. Do you know anyone who is a bigamist or who has been in any been the victim of such a relationship ?

There was a young man in our village when I was growing up who had a whirlwind romance with an older woman. He married her but weeks later the Police were knocking on his door because she omitted to tell him she had not obtained a divorce from her previous husband. I doubt it happens much these days. Apparently it was common during World War II.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120228

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3953
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bigamy is just pushing an affair to far, but having ´just´an affair while married is just as bad.

How many married people promiss their lover marriage? holding that person on the line for who knows how long?
The following user(s) said Well Said: senile1, Aida

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120259

• Toorbulite
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 58
Might seem a strange thing to say but I don't believe bigamy should be an offence IF ALL PARTIES AGREE TO IT.

I know a "happily married" trio - one man, two women - who have been together for more than two decades.
Naturally, only one of the women is his 'legal' wife. Why not both ?
Christians would be aware that many of their Old Testament 'heroes' had many, many wives.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Annnie, Shadowman

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120272

• Lexie78
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 736
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have talked about Bigamy before on Buzz, at some length. IMO, given the parlours state of " marriage" in UK, what's wrong with Bigamy? I have come to the conclusion that the best resolution of these matters would be to
" ban" marriage in UK, in all its forms. Then everyone would be "equal", no one would be illegitimate, no one would be getting an unfair tax advantage or qualify for additional benefits or inheritance!

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120359

• RosieLeah
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3063
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have no personal experience of bigamy, but it is a fact that some people are content with one partner..others need more than one. In some cultures, it's perfectly acceptable to have more than one spouse. We in the west, marry for love, that's our culture; other cultures take a different view.

Bigamy 2 weeks 5 days ago #3120519

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5389
  • Honor Medal 2010

Toorbulite wrote: Might seem a strange thing to say but I don't believe bigamy should be an offence IF ALL PARTIES AGREE TO IT.

I know a "happily married" trio - one man, two women - who have been together for more than two decades.
Christians would be aware that many of their Old Testament 'heroes' had many, many wives.

Jefferson Airplane "why can't we go on as three"
Triad
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Bigamy 2 weeks 4 days ago #3120690

• habibi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 407
  • Honor Medal 2010
Many years ago I knew someone who was a bigamist, he hadn't divorced his first wife when he married his second wife.

I was in a situation where I could not repeat what he told me due to confidentiality rules. I've no idea if he was ever caught and I'm only writing this as I think he's probably dead now.

Bigamy 2 weeks 4 days ago #3120746

• Annnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5911
  • Honor Medal 2010

RosieLeah wrote: I have no personal experience of bigamy, but it is a fact that some people are content with one partner..others need more than one. In some cultures, it's perfectly acceptable to have more than one spouse. We in the west, marry for love, that's our culture; other cultures take a different view.

Today's cultures who have more than one spouse mostly are the ones where only the man has sexual freedom. Sleeping around is not in favour with their religion so they allow themselves extra wives instead. Let the wife dare to seek sex with other than her husband and she might well be sentenced to death.
However there were older cultures where it was accepted the women had sexual freedom too and the children took their mothers' names as were never sure who their fathers were.
I saw a tv documentary sometime fairly recently about a village in India which still practices this and apparently the women love it. :)

Last Edit: by Annnie.

Bigamy 2 weeks 4 days ago #3120836

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14831
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have no issue with people having more than one partner, either legally recognised in countries where this is the norm, or informally in our countries - if everyone is consenting adults and all know and willingly enter in to the situation.

It is not for me - but others can make their own choices.

The thing about bigamy and affairs though is the dishonesty - usually there is one party in situation being lied to and who has not given informed consent.
That is the big difference.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, TwistNShout, Yo

Bigamy 2 weeks 4 days ago #3120847

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3691

Toorbulite wrote: Might seem a strange thing to say but I don't believe bigamy should be an offence IF ALL PARTIES AGREE TO IT.

2 spouses, sounds like double trouble to me, I get spooked by the thought of just one :ohmy: Stay single, play the field ;) B)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Yo, maylily7651

Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.