Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105298

• Annette
  • Annette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3917
  • Honor Medal 2010
Today another mass shooting took place in the US.

It is the 307th mass shooting in 2018, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that tracks shootings in the US.

To put this into perspective, we are 312 days into the year, meaning the US has had nearly as many mass shootings as days in 2018.

Americans are more likely to die from gun violence than many leading causes of death combined, with some 11,000 people in the US killed in firearm assaults each year.
www.businessinsider.de/how-many-mass-sho...ear-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

Seems the ´thoughts and prayers´ trump sends on every occasion don´t work...

I wonder...how can people who say they are pro-life accept all those shootings and the freedom of carrying arms?
The following user(s) said Well Said: gazchatbot16, Aida, Davegem

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105314

• Frankie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1337
  • Honor Medal 2010
Annette are you in the states?

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105326

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3766
  • Honor Medal 2010
You don't seem to be seeing the big picture, what happens in the US always has a way of seeping into the culture of many other countries. Just recently I donated to a campaign running over here to defend against US NRA lobbyists who are trying the influence a change in OUR guns laws to more closely reflect those that exist in the US.

You can be certain that we are not the only country with laws that the NRA don't like and are trying to influence changes to, the UK has also been mentioned as under assault from these lobbyists. What happens in the US can happen in our own countries if we are not forever vigilant in face of the big gun companies and their agents, such as the NRA.

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105335

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14811
  • Honor Medal 2010
Regardless of the potential effect on other countries - and I take your point with that - one surely doesn't have to be American to be saddened by the recurring mass shooting events occurring there.

Not sure why Frankie is asking rhetorical questions about where anyone lives :unsure:

And I agree - thoughts and prayers without action to change anything is useless.
If you don't change anything - nothing changes.

Sadly I expect to read another thread about another similar event in the near future.:(
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Aida

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105351

• norm1035
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 657
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:
Not sure why Frankie is asking rhetorical questions about where anyone lives

.:(

Maybe to personally gauge the validity of the OP's comment?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

"He who dies with the most toys wins, but he is still dead!" -- author unknown
Last Edit: by norm1035.

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 3 days ago #3105384

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6185
  • Honor Medal 2010
No country is safe, if someone gets hold of a gun,and decides to go on a shooting rampage, little if anything can be done.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Elspeth, Rhett1, Morgeno1

Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 2 days ago #3105449

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14811
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes true Jujo - and these things have happened in most countries.

But is obviously easier to get hold of a gun is some places than others - and much higher rate of such events reflects that

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 2 days ago #3105505

• Rhett1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 526
  • Honor Medal 2010
It’s a cowardly way,the innocent people have no idea it’s coming so have no way of protecting themselves

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 2 days ago #3105755

• shrubby
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1549
  • Honor Medal 2010
When you live in a country where the owning of firearms is legal if the Gun Laws don't change nor will the Instances of gun deaths drop and at times reach 73,000 victims in one year. . Only Americans can alter what is happening
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, altshovel, pascalou, Vegemite Kid, senile1, Aida, Back again

We are 312 days into the year, the us had 307 mass shootings so far 1 week 2 days ago #3105809

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 398
  • Honor Medal 2010

shrubby wrote: When you live in a country where the owning of firearms is legal if the Gun Laws don't change nor will the Instances of gun deaths drop and at times reach 73,000 victims in one year. . Only Americans can alter what is happening

I’m just concentrating on keeping myself and those close to me safe. Fixing this mess isn’t going to happen overnight. The greatest country on earth has a fatal flaw and it’s not the firearms.

God Bless Murica!
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.