Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Trump’s UK visit:

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3018579

  • Buzz Newsman
  • Buzz Newsman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The US president will stay overnight in London but will spend much of his time outside the capital.

Image copyright EPA
Melania Trump is joining her husband on the visit Donald Trump will meet the Queen at Windsor and hold talks with the prime minister at Chequers on his two-day visit to the UK next week.
The itinerary for Thursday and Friday confirms the US president will stay at the US Ambassador's House in Regent's Park overnight.
But he will spend much of his time outside London at formal events.
Protests in the capital will go ahead as planned, organisers have said, with others set to demonstrate in Scotland.
BBC diplomatic correspondent James Robbins said it would be "the most controversial visit ever made by an American president to Britain".
Despite some pomp and ceremony, it will be "far from the original state visit promised to President Trump" and remains what is deemed a working trip, Robbins added. Robbins said it was also "really noticeable that he will barely spend any time in London" - perhaps to avoid the protests.
But US ambassador to the UK, Woody Johnson, said there was no deliberate plan to keep Mr Trump out of the capital or away from protests, and he was "focused on his objectives".
He added that it was a "short trip, packed with things he has to do", but that President Trump "will be spending a lot of time in central London".
Groups organising protests on Friday have vowed to "be heard" whether he is in the capital or not.

[url=#jump-linkhttps://twitter.com/womensmarchlon/status/1015254227541811200]Skip Twitter post by @womensmarchlon[/url] \[quote\] ☕️ with the Queen ?️‍♂️ in Scotland ? and ? at Bleinham where #Churchill was born
But the word will be spread far and wide across the globe #BringTheNoise We're going to be loud We're going to be heard.
We will be heard.
— Women's March London (@womensmarchlon) July 6, 2018 \[/quote\] Report End of Twitter post by @womensmarchlon

President Trump will fly in to the UK on Thursday afternoon with First Lady Melania Trump, following a Nato summit in Brussels.
The couple will attend a black-tie dinner on Thursday hosted by Theresa May at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire - the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.
The president will be greeted with a military ceremony in the Great Court, with the bands of the Scots, Irish and Welsh Guards playing the Liberty Fanfare, Amazing Grace and the National Emblem.
A black-tie dinner will be held at Blenheim Palace Invited guests, including a number of business leaders, will eat dinner to the sounds of the Countess of Wessex's Orchestra, which will play a "series of classic British and American hits", according to Mrs May's deputy spokeswoman.
Mr Trump, whose mother was Scottish , will then be piped out at the end by the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
After spending the night at Winfield House in London, hosted by his ambassador Mr Johnson, the president will join the prime minister to watch a UK military exercise, before the pair travel to Chequers - the PM's country residence in Buckinghamshire - for bilateral talks.
The president and first lady will then travel to Windsor to meet the Queen on Friday afternoon.
On the final leg of the tour, the couple will fly to Scotland, where they plan to spend the weekend.
Image copyright PABBC diplomatic correspondent Robbins said while the government realises it is a controversial trip, President Trump is "fully entitled" to be welcomed into the UK in this way.
The government also stressed that previous presidents have met prime ministers at Chequers rather than at No 10, including Richard Nixon and both the Bushes.
US ambassador Mr Johnson said the "special relationship" between the UK and the US was "as strong as ever", and that Mr Trump knows the UK "better than any other modern president".
State visit? Mrs May announced President Trump would be coming for a state visit to the UK in January 2017 after she became the first foreign leader to meet with him in Washington following his inauguration.
But after a lot of backlash from MPs and more than one million people signing a petition against the trip, a date has still not been set for the state visit.

What is a state visit? Frankie McCamley explainsThousands are expected to protest in London on Thursday and Friday against the president's working visit.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has granted permission for Original Source BBC World News - Click Here to see the full article

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3018644

  • Topsy
  • Topsy's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7058
  • Well said received: 3122
  • Points: 38522
  • Honor Medal 2010
I hope Trump & Melania have a lovely time here in the UK.
Not all are against them .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, rip, Jane R, zephyr, JUJO, Jandante, Susan, SuzieQ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020898

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 10919
  • Well said received: 6312
  • Points: 416
I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Missey, Jane R, zephyr, Susan, SuzieQ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020903

  • Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1479
  • Well said received: 1703
  • Points: 18085
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm hoping people turn out in their thousands to show Trump we don't like him our his hateful rhetoric.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Aida, Rips, alta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020911

  • Topsy
  • Topsy's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7058
  • Well said received: 3122
  • Points: 38522
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.

JUJO
I feel exactly the same JUJO, I do hope they enjoy their their visit, and it is not marred by idiots.
We need the US of A particulary now , with the shambles of Brexit
The following user(s) said Well Said: Missey, rip, zephyr, JUJO, Jandante, Susan, SuzieQ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020913

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Online
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 25136
  • Well said received: 12216
  • Points: 272872
  • Honor Medal 2010
"The US president will stay overnight in London but will spend much of his time outside the capital"

A flying visit it seems.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020922

  • Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1479
  • Well said received: 1703
  • Points: 18085
  • Honor Medal 2010

Topsy wrote:

JUJO wrote: I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.

JUJO
I feel exactly the same JUJO, I do hope they enjoy their their visit, and it is not marred by idiots.
We need the US of A particulary now , with the shambles of Brexit


It's quite possible idiots will be used by the media to show the unsavoury nature of people opposed to Trump, however in reality most protesters will be ordinary decent folk who just want to make a stand against everything Trump represents.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, kedro, cestrian, Vegemite Kid, Aida, Mary Mary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020926

  • Topsy
  • Topsy's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7058
  • Well said received: 3122
  • Points: 38522
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote:

Topsy wrote:

JUJO wrote: I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.

JUJO
I feel exactly the same JUJO, I do hope they enjoy their their visit, and it is not marred by idiots.
We need the US of A particulary now , with the shambles of Brexit


It's quite possible idiots will be used by the media to show the unsavoury nature of people opposed to Trump, however in reality most protesters will be ordinary decent folk who just want to make a stand against everything Trump represents.

Sez you ,I happen to like Trump
The following user(s) said Well Said: rip, Susan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020932

  • Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1479
  • Well said received: 1703
  • Points: 18085
  • Honor Medal 2010

Topsy wrote:

Davegem wrote:

Topsy wrote:

JUJO wrote: I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.

JUJO
I feel exactly the same JUJO, I do hope they enjoy their their visit, and it is not marred by idiots.
We need the US of A particulary now , with the shambles of Brexit


It's quite possible idiots will be used by the media to show the unsavoury nature of people opposed to Trump, however in reality most protesters will be ordinary decent folk who just want to make a stand against everything Trump represents.

Sez you ,I happen to like Trump


Sez me?
I'm just stating most protesters against Trump will be law-abiding. There will be however a significant minority that WILL try to cause trouble and violence, and the media, obviously will concentrate on that.
You are of course entitled to like and support Trump and his "policies", as am I entitled to think you're misguided, and that Trump is an awful disgraceful man.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, kedro, cestrian, Vegemite Kid, senile1, Aida, Mary Mary, WinterLily

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trump’s UK visit: 5 months 1 week ago #3020933

  • Topsy
  • Topsy's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7058
  • Well said received: 3122
  • Points: 38522
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote:

Topsy wrote:

Davegem wrote:

Topsy wrote:

JUJO wrote: I hope president Trump and his wife enjoy United Kingdom.

JUJO
I feel exactly the same JUJO, I do hope they enjoy their their visit, and it is not marred by idiots.
We need the US of A particulary now , with the shambles of Brexit


It's quite possible idiots will be used by the media to show the unsavoury nature of people opposed to Trump, however in reality most protesters will be ordinary decent folk who just want to make a stand against everything Trump represents.

Sez you ,I happen to like Trump


Sez me?
I'm just stating most protesters against Trump will be law-abiding. There will be however a significant minority that WILL try to cause trouble and violence, and the media, obviously will concentrate on that.
You are of course entitled to like and support Trump and his "policies", as am I entitled to think you're misguided, and that Trump is an awful disgraceful man.


Whatever.
I will stick to my opinons, as I am sure you will stick to yours.
grin
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.