Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit:

Brexit: 3 months 2 weeks ago #3001539

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4365
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

Polliyana wrote: I agree with everything you say Pats. The largest turn-out for many years voted to leave. At that time we were in a strong position, but all the interference and downplay by the London based media as not helped one bit. What can we expect expect though, remainers negotiating? Plus all the 'as been' ministers., and rich immigrants who

care not one jot for our country. The whole
lot who call themselves remainers are
thinking only of themselves. What a
betrayal.

So in your mind you are saying that all Remainers are selfish only thinking of themselves. Nonsense. How on earth can you say over 16,000,000 people were selfish and just over 17,000,000 were thinking of the good of each other.
In an earlier post I was accused of being patronising. I said that no one who voted had the intelligence to know what they were voting for. I realise now that the accuser thought that I meant intellect. I didn't mean it in that context I was referring to intelligence which is secret information kept secret for political purposes. So no one really knew what a can of worms would be opened. Remainers think of how the people and economic situation will be effected by Brexit. How EU citizens rights will be effected both in the UK and UK citizens immigrants in other EU countries. Remainers think of how free movement of UK citizens around the other 27 members will be affected. Remainers never wanted a border control put in place in Ireland and thus putting the Good Fridayaagreement put in danger. Remainers wanted to be at the table to have a say in how the EU c ould be improved as the EU is far from perfect.
To put all Remainers in one box scares me even more about Brexit voted for by people with that sort of thinking. On 29/03 / 2019 all UK citizens will lose their EU citizenship. So you voted for having a citizenship taken away from you? You voted for the possibility of having queues 50 miles long outside of our ports. The list goes on and on only strengthening my statement that no one had the intelligence to vote.

Don't you recognise propaganda? When I said remainers were thinking of themselves, I refer to the people with the power and influence 'to put a spanner in the works', Not the voters, they are the ones who are sleep walking into a vassal state. It's really disgusting what's taking place and it could have been avoided if we had someone at the helm with a backbone. Even the US President is reputedly disenchanted with her according to the press.
She decimated the police when Home Secretary, and now she is doing it to our country. I'm so sad.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Jane R

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Polliyana.

Brexit: 3 months 2 weeks ago #3001575

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6779
  • Honor Medal 2010
Who might this person with backbone have been, Pollyanna ?
I often see on here people wishing we'd had a leader like Donald Trump. Boris apparently said Trump would have in 'gone in bloody hard'.
Other people wish Mrs Thatcher had been at the helm of the negotiations. Sadly, The Iron Lady is dead and, with a nod to Andrew Marvell, The grave's a fine and private place, but Brexit there she can't embrace! .

So who is it to be for those who think Mrs May is not doing a good job? Bumbling Boris ? 1930s throwback Milksop Mogg?
Suggesting that remainers are selfish is an insult to people who are fearful for the economy.
Sleepwalking into a Vassal State ? No, trying to protect our livelihoods and living standards more like.
The following user(s) said Well Said: D1A2V3I4, Davegem

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001688

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 508
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bryoney I have afraid that you are wrong. If you leave the UK and go live in the EU before March 2019 you will still be a UK citizen. You cease to be an EU citizen as the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. You will just be an immigrant in the EU from the UK.
We in Spain are UK immigrants and as all the British are for the moment. We want to keep our EU citizenship as well as our UK citizenship n but there is nothing in the Brexit negotiators to allow that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davegem

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001777

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 868
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote: Bryoney I have afraid that you are wrong. If you leave the UK and go live in the EU before March 2019 you will still be a UK citizen. You cease to be an EU citizen as the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. You will just be an immigrant in the EU from the UK.
We in Spain are UK immigrants and as all the British are for the moment. We want to keep our EU citizenship as well as our UK citizenship n but there is nothing in the Brexit negotiators to allow that.

That sounds like the much-bandied ‘cherry picking’. In other words you can’t have your cake and eat it. It sounds like a fairly straightforward, but stark, choice.

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001785

• Taner
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 36
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote: She decimated the police when Home Secretary, and now she is doing it to our country. I'm so sad.

And you want the likes of her and Johnson and Gove etc to make a better job of running the country than us continuing as we were!!! ???
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Davegem

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001789

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 9833
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote: Bryoney I have afraid that you are wrong. If you leave the UK and go live in the EU before March 2019 you will still be a UK citizen. You cease to be an EU citizen as the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. You will just be an immigrant in the EU from the UK.

I understand so well D and this is why Brexit is such a sensitive issue because it touches us to the chore to who we are and how we define ourselves.
The Brits who only feel Brits and never ever felt European from within, could not care less about leaving the E.U. which is totally understandable.

The Brits raised within a European Uk, with European values, and feel as much a part of the E.U as a part of the U.K feel stripped of half their identity and that is very painful and felt by pretty much many people from the younger generation.

I feel just as European as I feel French and being asked to give up my French Passport or my E.U passport would be like depriving me of half of my identity....:(

Nothing to do with having a cake and eat it and everything to do with who I am a French and a European.
Not a French 1st and European 2nd just a European French, this is my identity and who I am, just like kids with parents from 2 different nationalities , the kids can not choose, they are who they are by birth and education, and I believe no matter wether you are a brexiter or a remainer, deep inside our identity is being threatened and that is why it makes this whole situation very explosive... as it is very emotional for all parties involved...

And the consequences are massive for the economics and the future prosperity of the U.K.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, D1A2V3I4, Aida, Taner, Davegem

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last Edit: by pascalou.

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001819

• QuinTSensual
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 340
  • Honor Medal 2010
<<< Thoroughly disagrees with having been given a referendum on such a profound issue.
We have the Democracy that those who object to this opinion, in being able to consider locally known candidates to represent us in Parliament.

A Parliament that has all the resources to enable constructive debate.
In this motion concluding with a whip unhindered cross party resolution.
What we were given was a total cop out by Cameron.
A typical example of "when the 'not so' tough get going" they getting going to somewhere less stressful.
Whatever colour party flag one waves, one thing has been proved.
Mrs May has picked up the pieces, during a period of many other contemporary/historic revealed shambles with enviable energy and tenacity in the face of even her own backbenchers muddying the water at almost every step.
Absolutely shameful, when one considers that natural opponents such as the leader of the opposition and devolvement politicians have refrained from protagonism during this intense time consuming period.
Even the best can only take so much.
The UK will need significantly more than divine providence if she throws the towel in or is ousted and we have to start this from scratch all over again.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

"Since the World Began. > The most Destructive force is Man"
'When you Arrive > Change it To Survive'. > Signed. Con Fucius Age 2600yrs. [Probably!]
"Make friends make friends, never never break friends.
If you do you will catch the flu. > And that will be the end of you." > Signed. Cindy Age 10yrs. [Defininitly]
"Out of the eyes and words of children we 'may' best be known." Signed. Daddio.
Last Edit: by QuinTSensual. Reason: grammer

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001860

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6779
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am English and European. I am a remainer. I am not a Conservative but I have sympathy for Mrs May caught up as she is with that pack of back stabbing cloud dwellers. She has worked hard and is still working hard to get the right deal. I'd like to see what happens if she is usurped by one of the idiots who think we can leave without negotiating the right deal.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, pascalou, D1A2V3I4, QuinTSensual, Taner

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001890

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4365
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote:

Polliyana wrote: She decimated the police when Home Secretary, and now she is doing it to our country. I'm so sad.

And you want the likes of her and Johnson and Gove etc to make a better job of running the country than us continuing as we were!!! ???

Can you repeat that in English? I don't want TM never did. And yes I think people who voted to leave, will have the courage of their convictions. May and Hammond ( who should have been sacked a while ago imo) are hardest remainers.

If we stay now, we would be just puppets doing the very expensive bidding of the EU.
In the end the UK taxpayers foot the bill.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey

Brexit: 3 months 1 week ago #3001896

• Davegem
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1091
  • Honor Medal 2010
Every time Brexit comes up on a thread the same nastiness appears.
What a dreadful state us Brits are in.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.