Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit:

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3000888

• Buzz Newsman
  • Buzz Newsman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Publication of temporary customs proposals could be delayed after "push back" from David Davis.

Image copyright AFPTheresa May will meet with senior ministers later in an attempt to resolve tensions over the government's Brexit "backstop" plan.
In the proposal the UK would match EU tariffs temporarily in order to avoid a hard Irish border post-Brexit.
Number 10 had been expected to publish the "temporary customs arrangement" on Thursday, but faced resistance from Brexit Secretary David Davis.
Its publication could now be delayed until the end of the week.
The proposal will outline what would happen should no permanent solution be agreed with the EU before the UK's 2019 exit - but it might not specify an end date.
BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Downing Street believed it had enough support from senior ministers to publish the proposal.
"But what they hadn't quite bargained for was the level of resistance from the man who is meant to be in charge of this process (Mr Davis)," who wants a time limit added to the backstop, she added. Mr Davis told a press conference on Wednesday that he "expected" there to be a time limit in the signed-off version of the plan.
Speaking in London, he said the details had yet to be approved and that he believed Thursday's meeting of the cabinet's Brexit sub-committee would be "decisive".
Number 10 says it does not believe the contingency plan will ever come into effect because a customs arrangement - seen as vital to preventing a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland - would be agreed as part of the overall withdrawal deal.
But proposals would include a time limit, Downing Street has said.

Analysis Image copyright Reuters
No 10 is trying to find a way of satisfying David Davis By Laura Kuenssberg, BBC News political editor
No 10 have prepared a proposal for a "Temporary Customs Arrangement", where the UK would retain close ties to the EU for an indeterminate period after the end of the transition period - past 2020 - in case none of their hoped for customs fixes come to pass.
They believed they had the support of senior ministers to publish it on Thursday, even without explicit and detailed discussions of the written paper itself in the inner Brexit cabinet, let alone the full gathering of senior ministers.
It became clear, however, and rather surprisingly to the outside observer, that the man in government who is meant to be in charge of the Brexit process was not completely on-board.
So the brakes have been slammed on publishing the paper until meetings and discussions between senior ministers on Thursday.
Read more from Laura
Sources in Brussels have told BBC Europe editor Katya Adler that Mr Davis will go to Brussels on Monday after requesting an "informal" meeting with his EU counterpart, Michael Barnier.
The UK has said it will leave the EU's customs union but has yet to agree on what will replace it.
The UK has said that the EU's proposed option - keeping Northern Ireland in the customs union - would effectively create a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK and was not acceptable.
Please upgrade your browser

Your guide to Brexit jargon
Instead, the UK is proposing a "backstop[/img] The plan, which Theresa May has said would only apply in a "limited set of circumstances", would see the UK match EU tariffs in order to avoid border checks and allow it to sign and implement its own trade deals. The BBC understands the plan circulated among some ministers on Wednesday morning refers explicitly to the whole of the UK rather than just to Northern Ireland.
Pressed on the issue at Prime Minister's Questions, Theresa May insisted the UK was on track to leave the EU in March 2019 and that the transition period would last no longer than 31 December 2020.

Please upgrade your browser to view this content.

https://www.buzz50.com/images/obgrabber/2018-06/ed1ceff629.svgxml

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3000949

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2073
  • Honor Medal 2010
I doubt if we will ever free ourselves from the clutches of the European Union. So much for democracy.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Maryjoolz, Steffiegirl

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001206

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 525
  • Honor Medal 2010
That is one hell of a post and topic. After reading all that waffle ( I sorry but that is how I see it) As a staunch Remainer the only thing that I wished was that David Davis would resign. It would have put the whole question of Brexit in disarray and possibly have stopped Brexit altogether. That is what I want and also a Peoples Vote to decide the UK´s plight. b]
The following user(s) said Well Said: Merseymog, largolass, Aida, Taner

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001209

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 12471
  • Honor Medal 2010
The people have decided.

They voted for what they wanted.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Libby, Jane R

Happy to help.

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001216

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote: The people have decided.

Sorry Pats but they had no idea what they were voting for. No one whether For Leave or Remain had the intelligence to really understand all the implications that leave would have.
Now they are beginning to realise what the majority voted for and it is nothing like they thought it would be. The majority of people in the UK now think leaving is a mistake and they deserve a Peoples Vote on the deal. This is not a second referendum but a vote on the agreements that the UK and Eu have made.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Merseymog, largolass, Evy s, Taner

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001218

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

Sorry Pats but they had no idea what they were voting for. No one whether For Leave or Remain had the intelligence to really understand all the implications that leave would have.

How very patronising....it always amuses me how some that voted remain think they were the only ones that knew what they were voting for.
The following user(s) said Well Said: lensman, Polliyana, Libby, Maryjoolz

Happy to help.
Last Edit: by Pats.

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001219

• angelwings
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 568
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

Now they are beginning to realise what the majority voted for and it is nothing like they thought it would be. The majority of people in the UK now think leaving is a mistake and they deserve a Peoples Vote on the deal. This is not a second referendum but a vote on the agreements that the UK and Eu have made.

I agree, many people I have spoken to for voted for Brexit didn't seem to haver a clue what it was about. I think it was a huge mistake, which Britain will regret.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Taner

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001222

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

How very patronising....it always amuses me how some that voted remain think they were the only ones that knew what they were voting for.

Pats you obviously did not read my post correctly I said whether they voted Leave or Remain. So I was not being patronising at all but included all the electorate. I did not say that Remainers knew it all, in fact, they did not know the enormity of the task. And now 2 years down the road, no one knows what the end result will be. We have less than 300 days to the end of March 2019 to get it sorted out. One thing that was never discussed was the Irish border and the effect on the Good Friday agreement should a hard border be put in place. Did you know about this? So please before saying that I am patronising read my comments carefully.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Taner

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001225

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

Pats wrote:

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

And now 2 years down the road, no one knows what the end result will be. We have less than 300 days to the end of March 2019 to get it sorted out. One thing that was never discussed was the Irish border and the effect on the Good Friday agreement should a hard border be put in place..

Yes and if it hadn't been for the constant attempts to scupper the duly elected decision we wouldn't be in this mess now.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Polliyana, Libby, Maryjoolz

Happy to help.

Brexit: 2 months 1 week ago #3001238

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4610
  • Honor Medal 2010
I agree with everything you say Pats. The largest turn-out for many years voted to leave. At that time we were in a strong position, but all the interference and downplay by the London based media as not helped one bit. What can we expect expect though, remainers negotiating? Plus all the 'as been' ministers., and rich immigrants who care not one jot for our country. The whole lot who call themselves remainers are thinking only of themselves. What a betrayal.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Libby, Jane R

Last Edit: by Polliyana.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.