Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced!

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984535

• Annette
  • Annette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3399
  • Honor Medal 2010
Germany’s far-right and President Trump have long voiced similar complaints about their respective treatment by the media: too biased, too liberal. Now, both have suggested or attempted to implement a similar response — exclusion.

On Wednesday, Trump publicly appeared to ponder the possibility of taking away credentials from journalists. “Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?” he asked on Twitter. At a subsequent press briefing, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders did not rule out that possibility.

In Germany, the leading opposition party essentially tried to put that idea to the test this week — and failed.

When the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party announced during a news conference on Tuesday that a reporter with the top-selling Bild tabloid would not be allowed to ask questions during the event, all German journalists left the room in protest. The AfD subsequently had to cancel the press briefing in Brandenburg’s regional state parliament.

The reporter excluded from the press briefing, Michael Sauerbier, had asked critical questions about a senior AfD official’s alleged contact to a right-wing extremist group during a previous press event.

According to journalists present at the briefing, the far-right party cited his questions as the reason for silencing him. The Brandenburg AfD’s press office did not respond to calls on Thursday, but in a prior statement it defended its decision, implying that Sauerbier had insulted “his hosts.” On its Facebook page, the party said that all journalists could request comments on the phone or via email and that the briefing restriction was supposed to allow the AfD to “conduct the press conference in a professional manner.”

both in the United States and in Germany, journalists have seen themselves confronted with new challenges over the last year as they have attempted to find ways to interact with politicians willing to threaten or exclude critical reporters.

When then-press secretary Sean Spicer excluded several news organizations from an off-camera press briefing last February but invited conservative publications to join, only a few media outlets decided to boycott the event. The reasons for refraining to boycott the briefing were diverse: Some argued that continuing to cover the administration was more important than setting an example. Other, more polarized news outlets appeared pleased to be favored.

In contrast, Tuesday’s journalistic walkout could set a new precedent for Germany and discourage future attempts to exclude critical journalists.

While Germany has a vastly diversified media landscape, far-left or right-wing publications and networks have so far gained little traction here. German journalists often issue statements through joint umbrella associations when they fear violations of press freedom, regardless of their papers’ editorial stances.

Brandenburg’s press association, for instance, almost immediately issued a statement on behalf of its members this week, writing that the AfD threat constituted “an unacceptable and far-reaching interference with press freedom.”

It added: “We ask all our members only to attend AfD events if all attending journalists have the right to ask questions.”

That degree of journalistic solidarity, however, hasn’t been found to the same degree across the Atlantic. Chances are small that media outlets in the United States, some of which some are deeply at odds with one another, will suddenly unite like their German counterparts. The key question is whether it will ultimately embolden those hoping to experiment in withdrawing the credentials of some journalists.
www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/201...m_term=.482647deea78
The following user(s) said Well Said: Morgeno1, alta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984565

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4729
  • Honor Medal 2010
The press goes far beyond their remit. I would welcome change.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rhett1

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984567

• ArtInLondon
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 622
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote: The press goes far beyond their remit. I would welcome change.

You can't just leave there - how does the press go beyond their remit? What do you suggest is their remit? A free press is one of the first casualties of dictatorship so any government interference has to be treated with extreme caution.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, senile1, Davegem, alta

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984570

• Davenorave
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1019
  • Honor Medal 2010
While some journalist do stretch the rules and truth sometimes, we ought be careful of allowing swinging changes to press freedom. They do often hold corrupt and incompetent politicians and privileged greedy wannabe's to account. That is not something we should readily give away.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Eira, senile1, Davegem

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984584

• Davegem
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 318
  • Honor Medal 2010
Another thought-provoking article, Annette.
It's a difficult time for journalism as the world adapts to the digital age and the attempts of leaders like Trump and Putin who try to silence their detractors.
Who in their right mind would not want a free and unfettered press?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Davenorave, senile1

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984585

• Davegem
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 318
  • Honor Medal 2010
Another thought-provoking article, Annette.
It's a difficult time for journalism as the world adapts to the digital age and the attempts of leaders like Trump and Putin who try to silence their detractors.
Who in their right mind would not want a free and unfettered press?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984605

• Annette
  • Annette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3399
  • Honor Medal 2010
Any dictator or leader with skeletons in his cellar I suppose...

Polliyana said:"I would welcome a change"

You mean change like in Turkey, China, Russia and other countries that are known for the supression of their citizens?

I really cannot understand that people prefer to only read or hear what their idol wants them to hear.
It has been centuries that people were kept dumm by not telling them what really happened in their region.

Nowadays if one does not like the news they read or hear the can close their eyes or ears.
Of course this means they are not informed of what is happening in the world and they probably believe the stories
told by their Leader (i would use the German word, but that would lead to unrelated discussions. Although this person did restrict his media, and so made people believe he did only do the best for them and his country....come to think of it, some things never change...) either true or total and utter lies.

I used to be a journalist quite some time ago, and I think some people are too blind to see that, even if they dont like the news they hear, it is evident to have acces to several sources to look at a happening from different angles.

After all, in a conflict between A and B the A-team gives out numbers and happenings that make Team A look fantastic. Of course Team B does the same to make them look the best.

With all possibilities we have nowadays (like internet) we are able to hear about both sides, mix them up and decide where they meet.
This prevends tunnel-vision.

And in the end it can save many lives...
The following user(s) said Well Said: senile1, Davegem, alta

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984630

• alta
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 230
  • Honor Medal 2010
Post WWII, The US Federal Communications Commission instituted a policy requiring holders of Broacast Licenses to, "both present controversial issues of public importance, and to do so in a manner that was honest, equitable, and balanced. " (A more extensive explanation available if one researches the Fairness Doctrine)

In 1969 the FCC (the FCC is controlled by Congress) policies were altered, to be clarified and more concise, as ordered by Court subsequent to a Law Suit by Red Lion Broadcasting (known to be generally fact free, malicious, and extremist right wing)

In 1987, during Reagan's Administration, these regulations were eliminated, and quietly removed altogether in August of 2011 from the Federal Registry.

Following these events, some news broadcasting on radio and tv have become a hotbed of misleading, false, and biased rhetoric.

Fox News was sued in Federal Court for false reporting, but, won the case.....not because of freedom of the press, not because they proved themselves truthful, but, because they are licensed, not as a News Organization, but, as an Entertainment Network.

Congress, as has become a common practice, does not see the need to demand truth, thus the FCC has been weakened and the issues surrounding this are pushed off the congressional table as unimportant.

Anytime a government does not find the truth important in the Press, disaster ensues.....we are subject to that every day here. The newest attempt at controlling "what the people hear" is in the present Congress and White House, pushing for Internet Controls.....not regulations, but, controls.

Trump didn't just happen overnight..........
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, ArtInLondon

Never argue with the alligator before you cross the river.....

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984634

• Popeye
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 219
  • Honor Medal 2010
It's Journalistic "Spin" that gets my goat.

Stories biased against, or for, Brexit., for example, or disaster stories of the NHS (without many of the good points) I could go on.

Raising the ante for public demonstrations with dates and times of the get - togethers published in minute detail.

Fake news, heavy bias, you name it.

Sadly, the press had to be clamped during WW2 - ask ourselves why!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana

Time to fight for freedom, dont let jornalists be silenced! 1 week 5 days ago #2984660

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7291
  • Honor Medal 2010
Interesting to read Alta's post about the relaxation of News reporting rules in US.

Re the OP:
We need a free press.
If policians start gagging the press by inviting only certain journalists who are sympathetic to their cause to ask questions at news briefings and they deny access by journalists who ask awkward questions about stuff the politician doesn't want the public to know or think about, that's the beginning of the end to freedom and democracy.
That makes me think of those 'state mouthpiece' newsreaders of controlling dictators, like Kim Jong-Un.

I do get fed up with the kind of journalistic 'spin' that Popeye mentioned, though - there's no doubt in my mind that journalists have a lot of power to mould public perception by the diet of daily news they feed us.
The constant barrage of gloom and doom when every failure is reported and dwelt on, without balancing it with the successes, can really influence public opinion. Once the press get their sights on a particular topic that fits their own editorial bias, they are like a dog with a bone and pounce on any tiny thing that may contain some link to it, however tenuous, so they can keep repeating whatever the mantra of the day is.
Given this power, I think the press have a duty to report facts, not only accurately but also fairly and in a balanced way.
I don't know any details about UK news reporting regulations but, from my own observations, fewer news outlets seem to offer balanced reporting nowadays.
Newspapers have always tended to be skewed towards their own editorial bias but the balance of 'fact' and 'opinion' is more skewed than it used to be. It irritates me to see that even TV National News programmes, like the BBC is going down this route. The lines between fact and opinion, what actually was said or done and what reporters 'read between the lines' are becoming ever more blurred.
Although some news outlets are more fair and factual than others, there is no one News outlet I would trust to give me the full and balanced facts of a situation, with all the pros and cons, so I have to read a range of reports to try to pick out the salient facts from the biased rhetoric.

The other area of reporting where I think journalists should take some personal responsibility is unnecessary invasion of privacy - some of the tittle tattle gossip they report about people's private lives can not really be claimed to be 'in the public interest' to know.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Popeye, alta

Step by step, one goes a long way.
  • Page:
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.