Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Deposit on bottles?

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2954951

• Polliyana
  • Polliyana's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4365
  • Honor Medal 2010
First of all it's only in consultation, it's not a 'done deal' as yet, in spite of the press.

I got me thinking though. How will it be executed? Can you imagine the number of cans and plastic bottles and glass bottles--- what about storage at a supermarket, or will there be depots I wonder. However it done, it's going to crest extra jobs as far as I can see?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, WinterLily, Aloysious

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2954976

• mayo2u
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1321
  • Honor Medal 2010
We've had deposits on bottles in my area for many years now. You get charged a bottle deposit fee when buying those type of items so then it's wise to save those items and bring them to a depot where you get that amount refunded. Recycling item pick-ups are done by contract through the municipality so then tin cans and other recyclable things get picked up. A few supermarkets still do allow for some limited returns of bottles but most of the time it's best to bring in as much of a collection as you have to the depot. And yes, it does create many jobs. I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't done this long time ago :lol:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Serena77

C'est la vie

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955013

• Mykle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This has been the norm here for as long as I can remember, so everyone is in tune with the system. It works I think here just the same as mayo2u says .
We save all pop bottles all cans in a large bin bag, then every so often take it with us when we go shopping.
Obviously not every supermarket or store has the facility, but most do. Simple you put them in the machine bum first, it reads the code and then deposits them in the right container, when the container is full an alarm goes off and someone from the store must come and change it over for an empty one . we get charged 2NK on large bottles and 1.5NK on cans and small drinks bottles. NO glass, you have to take those yourselves to the bottle bank. When you have put all your bottles etc through, press the green button and you get a ticket to spend in the store, press the red button and your amount goes to the Red Cross.
I think the major problem will be the kids, they cant be bothered to take one bottle so they will still tend to chuck it unless parents can educate them to take the bottle home . It doesnt happen here so much as the culture is not to dump your litter , but put it in the bins. You can see some of the rough sleepers , and others checking the bins in town for plastic bottles and cans , surprising how much the make in a week .
The syst, does seem to cut out the throwing away of plastic bottles.
On our latest visit with our bottles we had approx £9 to spend after .

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955064

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1486
  • Honor Medal 2010
As we already sort and recycle plastics, glass bottles, jars, paper, cardboard, garden waste, and just about everything, including waste food, by the Council's street collection service. I don't see how this is going to help. I do notice that only the two of us in our home put out far more full recycling bags than the families in our street. I suppose being retired we have more time to do this...

As the Local Council is required to recycle all this "stuff" anyway, where is the difference between us putting it out in recycling bags, and us taking it all back to differing stores and they recycling it?

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955069

• honey xxx
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
In principal it is a good idea but most of us in England Have recycling and I always recycle everything, so do I have to pay extra for doing what I usually do???

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955073

• honey xxx
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Totally agree kepper

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955110

• darren123
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 84
  • Honor Medal 2010
i agree, why should i pay more to buy bottles when i recycle them at home in bins provided by council.
can recyclers have a card to show at shops that we recycle and only have to pay original price....

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955126

• Nelson
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2010
In principal a good idea, but we recycle plastic bottles as a matter of course.

What they should be looking at is the plastic packaging and things like yogurt pots, ice cream containers etc, which currently in our area go straight into the general bin and is sent to landfill.

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955136

• debraj
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
When I was growing up, if you bought soda in glass bottles, there was a 3 cent charge on the bottle. You would simply return the bottles and get your 3 cents a bottle back. It was just the way it was.

Deposit on bottles? 5 months 3 weeks ago #2955145

• sadoldman
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 320
  • Honor Medal 2010
bottle refund scheme gets green light ( metro news ) 28.03.18

we have not heeded
but now will get on the bicycle
maybe this is what we needed
to encourage the recycle.
the sea and land is at fault
david attenborough will make you think
just saw my last bottle of malt
on the beech and over the shoulder after drink.
obviously no one listening
empty are all recycling boxes
the constant show of damage is blistering
from saving the earth everyone detoxes.
litter is swarming
camden kentish even the grove
we need radical plan for global warming
going to discuss with a bottle and mr gove.
not getting no reward
saving this earth had no incentive
now 10p on a bottle i applaud
mr gove you've shown normal recycling is not effective.
ibb.co/fWQjAS

Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.