Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2920574

• Mike
  • Mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1881
  • Honor Medal 2010
In full-page advertisements in national newspapers the organisation says "enough is enough".

The head of the Freemasons in England and Wales says he can't show the BBC the handshake.The Freemasons have placed full-page advertisements in several national newspapers calling for an end to the "discrimination[/img] The United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE) said it welcomes individuals from all walks of life but that members are "undeservedly stigmatised".
It said it had written to the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
Recent news stories questioned the influence of Freemasons in policing and in parliament.
In an advert in the Times, the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian, the governing body of Freemasonry complains of the "gross misrepresentation" of its members.

Under the headline "Enough is enough", chief executive Dr David Staples said the organisation raised more than £33m for good causes last year. He said people of any race, faith, age, class or political persuasion were welcome in the 300-year-old organisation.
The United Grand Lodge of England is restricted to men, although separate women-only lodges also exist.

Image copyright United Grand Lodge of England
There are about six million Freemasons worldwide and more than 200,000 in the UK under the United Grand Lodge of England There are about 200,000 Freemasons in England and Wales, who meet in more than 7,000 lodges.
In the last week, the Guardian reported that two Freemasons' lodges are operating at Westminster - which it said were for MPs and political journalists.
But Dr Staples said that, although the lodges existed, none of their members were MPs or political journalists.
The revelation followed claims that members of the Freemasons were blocking reform in policing . The outgoing chairman of the Police Federation, Steve White, told the Guardian the society was thwarting progress of women and those from black and ethnic backgrounds.
Dr Staples rejected those claims as "laughable".
He told BBC Breakfast: "We're not a secretive society. Nepotism (and) corruption is not tolerated."
He added that the handshake used by members during ceremonies is "not secret" but, when he was asked to demonstrate it to viewers of BBC Breakfast, he declined, saying he had "promised" not to.
[url=#jump-linkhttps://twitter.com/WorcsMasons/status/961310266892963840]Skip Twitter post by @WorcsMasons[/url] \[quote\] Over 300 years of developing good character, supporting local communities and regular support for charity - both local and international. #masonicpride #positivemasonry pic.twitter.com/Czwp9naZJJ
— Worcestershire PGL (@WorcsMasons) February 7, 2018 \[/quote\] Report End of Twitter post by @WorcsMasons
The advert adds that the organisation will be running a series of events this year designed to answer questions people may have about the organisation, whose activities are not widely known.
Dr Staples also invites direct queries to be sent to the Freemasons' London headquarters, Freemasons' Hall.
But some have responded to the adverts with scepticism.
How can members be discriminated against if "we don't know who they are", asks Labour MP Melanie Onn .

Freemason facts Image copyright Getty Images
A monument commemorating those who were awarded the Victoria Cross medal is unveiled outside the Freemasons' Hall in London
  • There are about 200,000 male Freemasons and 4,700 female Freemasons in the UK
  • Freemasons meet in a temple, which they call a "lodge", as it is understood that is where ancient stonemasons met when working on a church or cathedral
  • Lodges are grouped by region, roughly in line with the old county boundaries
  • Freemasons wear masonic aprons, dating back to the theory that freemasonry evolved from the stonemasons, who wore them for protection from stone chipping
  • The "third degree" is the final stage before becoming a fully fledged Mason. The ceremony involves close questioning, which is where the expression "giving someone the third degree" originates
  • Famous Freemasons have included Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Burns, Oscar Wilde and Peter Sellers
Original Source BBC World News - Click Here to see the full article

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2920587

• keff
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 60
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have long been opposed to secret societies so I find this article a bit rich. My father in law was a mason so I have a good idea what goes on. Even if masonic leaders say that membership does not bring benefits during application for jobs nothing can stop the choice of a candidate based on the hand shake between applicant and chair of the selection panel.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Aida

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2920637

• Baron Hank
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 149
  • Honor Medal 2010
I agree that secret societies should be treated with suspicion. In fact I would go further and include secret decisions such as those made in the Vatican which I read has secret courts which are never made public. I bet they aren't the only religious body who uses this practice. Be open and be prepared for criticism if others disagree. The only time secrecy needs to be used is for national security but that is open to abuse by politicians.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Yo, Aida, Krystalle

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2920721

• shrubby
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1577
  • Honor Medal 2010
As has been said Freemasonry is open to all and sundry and in my life time I have seen some dubious instances of their practice The hand shakie when applying for a job is one of these and the fact that Criminals may belong to the fraternity and if brought before the Court the members of the Judiciary & Police may also be Masons duty bound to protect their brothers. Big ?????? mark there
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2922094

• PennyLane
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 585
  • Honor Medal 2010
In America, my father didn't wear a wedding ring but he wore his Masonic ring. As a child, I sat on Santa's lap and told him he couldn't be the real Santa Claus because he was wearing a Masonic ring. My mother had her Eastern Star ring that she wore. So much for the secret society bit, the hand shake is meaningless with that rock of a ring on their finger. He did tell me if I were to ever find myself in trouble that a "brother/ring" would take care of me. I find comfort in that to this day.

Under the definition of a Mason is as follows Shrubby: "We are respectable citizens who are taught to conform to the moral laws of society and abide by the laws of the government under which we live". That would exclude known criminals.

In the world we live in today, corruption of every kind is so rampant from under every rock, this seems a waste of time to worry about a Masonic advantage to me if there is one. Some one belongs to some church, country club, relative, friend, is getting a kick back or has some scandalous information on someone. What existed in England and the US could have been vastly different. Now, I think the water is just totally muddy.

Any time you get into the upper echelons of any organization, corruption thrives.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, DaveA, Baron Hank

Last Edit: by PennyLane.

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2922157

• Baron Hank
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 149
  • Honor Medal 2010
PennyLane said

In the world we live in today, corruption of every kind is so rampant from under every rock, this seems a waste of time to worry about a Masonic advantage to me if there is one. Some one belongs to some church, country club, relative, friend, is getting a kick back or has some scandalous information on someone. What existed in England and the US could have been vastly different. Now, I think the water is just totally muddy.

PL I reduced your reply and I hope that is OK but I agree with your all comments 100%. Throughout history there have been secret societies and before I condemn all some were set up to avoid persecution but a lot were formed for devious reasons. That was history but in todays world ( I nearly said free world) an open approach should be the norm but that is a dream. You have people from other countries pouring in money to groups to try and disrupt a democratic vote to leave the EU. Are those groups open with their aims - another dream. The masons have wallowed in secrecy as does the church. What gives you the idea I'm an agnostic.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2922179

• Roddy
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 307
  • Honor Medal 2010
I heard about this and immediately wondered what had prompted this at this particular time. Where I live, there was wide spread believe that Masons had influenced selection in recruitment to the Police and other public services. I admit that this suspicion had settled somewhat, but I think the complaint by the masons may once more have prompted many to wonder to what extent those selected based on their membership are still in post.

I was also puzzled at how they could arrive at the fact that they were being discriminated against now. What evidence do they have of that? What evidence do they have that anyone is aware of individual membership of the masons? Surely unless someone admitted to this, then no one would be aware. I understood that masons kept their membership very, very secret.

So, still puzzled as to what the foundation for this whole thing is. BTW, the cost of those adverts must have been substantial. Unless they got a special deal for being masons. :)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Baron Hank

The return of the penguin.

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2922503

• PennyLane
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 585
  • Honor Medal 2010
Baron & Roddy, I know there are vast differences between the UK and the US. The advertisement was taken out in the UK. I have no clue as to why it was taken out nor anything to do with British Masonry.
My point in bringing up the Masonic rings, tie clips, and watches here in the US is that membership is not treated as a secret society at all. Signs are posted outside the modern meeting halls. The historical meeting halls in Philedelphia, Boston, and one just outside of Boston which have not been open to the public are being renovated and opened to the public.
Baron Frank, you asked me "what gives you the idea I'm an agnostic?". Sir, I have no clue as to your religious beliefs or lack their of. That's your choice, not mine.

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2922545

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2073
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have no way of knowing who is a Mason and who isn't, so how can I discriminate against them?

Freemasons call for end to 'discrimination' of members 6 months 1 week ago #2923138

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6476
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am suspicious of secret societies and believe members look out for each other in certain sections of society. My brother is a mason, my ex boss was a mason. I am not surprised to hear Churchill was a Mason. :whistle:

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last Edit: by Aida.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.