Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit...let's be blunt!

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2839962

• Viscount
  • Viscount's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1032
  • Honor Medal 2010
EU is flexing it's muscles and TM is looking somewhat overcome . To be honest I wish Maggie was dealing with this...she was a tiger!!!
In the light of the personal abilities to handle this operation, ONLY ONE voice stands out above the rest....I refer to Jacob Rees-Mogg.
He may be a backbencher, but so was Corbyn until he was elected leader. If May has any sense, she will drag Jacob into the cabinet and he will guide the Brexit operation from there. There is not much time left....get real!!!!!

The following user(s) said Well Said: Frankie, Steffiegirl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2839992

• Frankie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 760
  • Honor Medal 2010
Like i said at the beginning.." can we borrow Donald Trump please!!"...Its a skill, an art and its get bloody but it must be done we have to win this!
We have to turn this around, yes i believe in miracle and we are going to need one!!

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840019

• Ritchy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1993
  • Honor Medal 2010

Frankie wrote: Like i said at the beginning.." can we borrow Donald Trump please!!"...Its a skill, an art and its get bloody but it must be done we have to win this!
We have to turn this around, yes i believe in miracle and we are going to need one!!

There is no win to negotiate, an agreement has to be made, That entails compromise on both sides so that our relationship outside the EU does not create unnecessary divisions, we need to remain friendly neighbours. Politicians digging their heels in will see the deadline pass & we will leave without a negotiated settlement. We have our negotiation team in place ^& we should let them get on with the job in hand.

Speculation is just that not fact & the media is very good at creating non-stories on hypothesis.

Donald Trump to negotiate , oh! please I'd prefer Donald Duck, the first tweeting the second quacking. Kim Jong Un has run him ragged to a point where he can't threaten more dire consequences.. He would start ahead of the game though as the channel provides for an effective wall.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annnie, SimplyRobin, Aida, Krystalle

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840031

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1557
  • Honor Medal 2010
We will probably get the worst of all possible worlds because our politicians are so divided.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840038

• Merseymog
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
  • Honor Medal 2010
As you know I don't agree with Brexit - Maggie would stand up to the EU but she would never have had a referndum in the first place. Jacob Ress Mogg, Boris Johnson, Liam Fox and other hard line Brexiteers will be seen for what they are "Opportunist Egoists". Of course certain populist elements believe in them but in the cold light of day as Brexit bites the majority of thinking members of parliament and of the general public realise just how insane the whole enterprise is.

I also post on Gransnet which does have a small Brexit faction but most posts are strongly pro remain. On Buzz50 in reality only a small number are hard line Brexiteers with the silent majority keeping out of the argument until they are pushed too far.

Donald Trump is causing more problems than he will ever solve.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: SimplyRobin, Aida, Lydia1960, Lexie78, Krystalle

Last Edit: by Merseymog.

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840111

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3813
  • Honor Medal 2010
I absolutely agree with you. I would prefer to remain in the EU and think the whole BREXIT situation is a shambles. I don't think Theresa May is a true Brexiteer; she's doing and saying what she thinks pro leavers want to hear in order to remain in office and hoping to get the best deal she can for the economy. To be fair, I think she cares about the economy and knows better than all the hardliners how bad it could be if we leave without a good deal.
I think, like Merseymog, that some of the hard line leavers, both politicians and voters, will be less enthusiastic when the economy begins to suffer and Brexit begins to bite.
I keep hearing about all the countries who want to trade with us : they may want to sell us their goods but will they want to by from us?

Rees-Mogg is a throwback to the days of A A Milne's Christopher Robin. Would he care about the lack of social housing ? Would he care about the poor and working people so hard up they have to go to the food bank when they've little left after paying rent and bills ?
Would he care about private landlords ripping people off and allowing tenants to live in slum conditions? I doubt it !

Boris Johnson is a traitor. Boris does what is best for Boris. His bully boy persona appeals to the 'let's kick Europe's ass little Englanders'. Does he have a conscience ?

And may God help us if we get into bed with Donald Trump. As Merseymog said he is causing problems, not just for gun toting America but for the planet as a whole with his dismissal of the true cause of climate change.
My apologies to anti- gun American Buzzers - I know there are some on here.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Lexie78, Marshal, Sailorman

Back into storybooks giants have fled
And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840128

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3813
  • Honor Medal 2010
Maybe some of the more timid pro remain Buzzers are afraid to air their their point of view fearing it will make them unpopular and so don't post - the pro leave lobby on here can be rather aggressive, making 'clever' long posts complete with links to defend their point of view.
Brexit has spoiled Buzz in my opinion.

Back into storybooks giants have fled
And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840134

• Viscount
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
FCO 30/1048 released under 30 year rule.....

"With chilling candour, this paper (from FCO folder 30/1048) predicted that it would take 30 years for the British people to wake up to the real nature of the European project that Edward Heath was about to take them into, by which time it would be too late for them to leave. Its author made clear that the Community was headed for economic, monetary and fiscal union, with a common foreign and defence policy, which would constitute the greatest surrender of Britain’s national sovereignty in history. Since “Community law” would take precedence over our own, ever more power would pass to this new bureaucratic system centred in Brussels – and, as the role of Parliament diminished, this would lead to a “popular feeling of alienation from government”.
It would therefore become the duty of politicians “not to exacerbate public concern by attributing unpopular measures… to the remote and unmanageable workings of the Community”. Politicians of all parties should be careful to conceal the fact that controversial laws originated in Brussels. By this means it might be possible to preserve the illusion that the British government was still sovereign, “for this century at least” – by which time it would no longer be possible for us to leave."

by Christopher Booker ...... www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europ...ld-40-years-ago.html

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840188

• Merseymog
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
  • Honor Medal 2010
We should stay in the EU for Trade purposes and because many other EU nations who are anti federalist need a champion for their cause. I don't believe that there will ever be a United States of Europe but we do need to be part of the single market and the customs union. The cultural differences across Europe make a federal Europe less likely.

Outside the EU we will have no influence and most of the costs. The country needs to trade with the EU rather than the US and China. It's about time that both Conservative and Labour recognized that the result of the referendum is seriously flawed and at least be prepared to question it. If democracy demands a second one then lets have one with NO LIES and NO FEAR. We elect politicians to do what is right for the country as opposed to party dogmatism.

Brexit...let's be blunt! 1 month 1 week ago #2840194

• Viscount
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yet for the last few days, and particularily today, we hear the phrase "no deal scenario" bandied about.

I sense that it is recognised that the EU is overplaying their hardball stance to the extent that makes "no deal" highly likely.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 1.070 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.