Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: being polite

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692552

• Aviara
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 469
  • Honor Medal 2010

brustorm wrote: do all the men on here think it is being polite to open a door for a lady and to walk on the roadside of a footpath, for a lady. or am I just old school?

I think you’re getting mostly women answering lol

I definitely think it’s ‘old school’ , but that doesn’t make it wrong :). I can’t say I really think about or take notice which side my husband walks on when we’re out together …if he were to purposely cross to the roadside, I’d probably ask him what’s he doing ?? Lol. We walk where we walk…

And all of us women have been opening doors on our own and for anybody else, for years now ;) ….the gesture gets a ‘thank-you’ no matter who is doing the door opening ….

Please Log in to join the conversation.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692555

• Redeye
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 239
It's an old tale to put your gal closer to the street when walking.

That means she is for sale.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692559

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1935
  • Honor Medal 2010

brustorm wrote: do all the men on here think it is being polite to open a door for a lady and to walk on the roadside of a footpath, for a lady. or am I just old school?

There is no other way for a gentleman to act.A true gentleman always yields to a lady, and I know to some this may sound chauvinistic, but I care not. I was having dinner at me local pub recently, where I always sit at the bar. Having finished dinner and was having my usual after dinner coffee and whisky, when a young lady came in, and as the bar was full, she had no place to sit. Though I walk with a cane now (balance issues), having finished dinner , gave her my seat while I stood to finish my drink. This comes natural to me.There will be those who would be insulted by my offer, but that's there problem, I always strive to show respect to ladies and those less fortunate than I.
In the end, showing courtesy to others is what being a man is all about, I make no apologies.
Oh yea, before some person brings this up, my statement " I always strive to show respect to ladies and those less fortunate than I " does not imply I think women are less fortunate than I, just cutting this statement off at the pass.
The following user(s) said Well Said: POMPEYPETE, brustorm

Last edit: by senile1.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692567

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aviara wrote:

I think you’re getting mostly women answering lol

I definitely think it’s ‘old school’ , but that doesn’t make it wrong :). I can’t say I really think about or take notice which side my husband walks on when we’re out together …if he were to purposely cross to the roadside, I’d probably ask him what’s he doing ?? Lol. We walk where we walk…

And all of us women have been opening doors on our own and for anybody else, for years now ;) ….the gesture gets a ‘thank-you’ no matter who is doing the door opening ….

and that is where everything goes haywire, showing the courtesy of opening the door for a lady does not imply she's not capable. If I am first to an entrance, I open the door for whoever is behind me, I just make a special effort for the ladies.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692570

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Elizabeth wrote: It is not as unusual as you might think. I know many women feel it is demeaning for a man to be courteous toward a woman, but I think they are in a minority.

Usually these women are insecure, thinking any courtesy from a man suggests they are incapable. Walking to the outside suggests to some women they are in need of a man protecting them, while another women doing so has no meaning, I just do what comes natural to me, and if the lady is insulted or unappreciative, it is my gain, she will then do her utmost to avoid me.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, POMPEYPETE, brustorm

Last edit: by senile1.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692575

• bluegrassmusicfan
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 154
  • Honor Medal 2010

senile1 wrote: If I am first to an entrance, I open the door for whoever is behind me.

Same with me.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692577

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

bluegrassmusicfan wrote: ~~~~~~~ >*IF* they do it when i am near the door..it is appreciated.<~~~~~~~~

*IF* I am some 50ft/ 15 meters (or more) away....and they stand there, holding it open, with a look on their face like "hurry up"...then no....please just let go of the door and go on..

I am disabled, and I am not rushing/ hurrying just because you want to be "polite"...

Even worse are the ones who practically **knock you down/ run over you* to get to it to hold it open..
I have said ":hey....you are in that MUCH OF A HURRY...please, do go ahead...I'll wait.."
Then I turn around and piddle with some thing or just stare off into the distance..

Again, If you are already *at* the door, again it is appreciated..

I have spent much of my life working with people with disabilities, and will stand by a door patiently and wait til they reach the door, it's a courtesy, a sign of respect, no more/ no less; accept it with the grace it was offered.

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692583

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Heres a funny for you, I was looking just now for the thread subjects without my glasses, I saw "polite" and just below "posted by senile ", and I thought it said "polite & senile"::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thought it was another thread.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Vegemite Kid, brustorm

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692587

• Rosie 2 UK
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1238
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hubby always opens doors for me ,and he walks on the roadside when we are out walking down the street .
The following user(s) said Well Said: brustorm

being polite 1 month 6 days ago #3692596

• chorderlite
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 180
  • Honor Medal 2010
Good manners cost nothing.
The following user(s) said Well Said: POMPEYPETE, senile1, brustorm