TOPIC: Is This Creepy?

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692146

• Rain
  • Rain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 274
  • Honor Medal 2010
I just found out about this today, and frankly I find it quite creepy. A very famous sunglasses designer has come up with a pair of sunglasses which have built-in cameras.

The glasses which launched six days ago cost about 329 euro. The whole technology involved is linked to social media, particularly Facebook who they are in partnership with.

They look pretty much like an ordinary pair of sunglasses. But they have tiny lenses at the front. All you have to do to take a photo or a video of what you are looking at is to gaze at it and touch the sensor the right arm of the glasses. You can then post directly to Facebook or presumably save them to transfer to a device later. You can also listen to music via a tiny speaker, near your ear.

According to the manufacturer, LED lights on the front of the glasses inform people you are taking the photos. Oh, unless of course you dim them!

This is certainly going to become the latest ‘MUST HAVE’ trend among teenagers.

The possibility for misuse is obvious. Imagine a paedophile standing looking over school gates for example wearing these glasses.

We can’t uninvent the wheel but has technology gone too far this time? Should there be legal limits on making this kind of surveillance easy and indeed trendy?

Over to you.
The following user(s) said Well Said: habibi, Elspeth, Aida, WWWoody, RichardA, AntiqueLace1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692148

• AntiqueLace1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1799
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi Rain, yes I would use the word Creepy also. This one will be full of negative issues, I will be interested to what the positives might be.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692150

• Summerdancing
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 275
  • Honor Medal 2010
The glasses certainly have the creep factor....I know--you're supposed to behave and used them judiciously, but really? I see so much potential for deliberate misuse. ARRGHH
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pascalou, Aida

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692152

• oldal
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1881
  • Honor Medal 2010
Camera glasses have been out for a while, there are several different brands available on Amazon.com.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692169

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1263
  • Honor Medal 2010
The end is near. Actually the Electric Eye is everywhere anyway, been that way in some places forever. This latest gadget I hadn’t heard about though, a tad creepy.

God Bless America

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692177

• bluegrassmusicfan
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 154
  • Honor Medal 2010
This is old news....started in 2014:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692195

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1202
  • Honor Medal 2010
Like any technology, it has positive and negative attributes. Pretty much any time we go out in public, there is a camera (or many) watching our every move.

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692208

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 645
  • Honor Medal 2010
As has been said this is just another iteration of a existing technolgy, but as was pointed out on a tech review recently, they are not as effective as the device everyone, almost, carries and that is the mobile/cell phone. Any creep, and they are creeps, can take whatever video they want and its more likely they can do it surreptitiously, with the glasses they would have to be looking at the subject the entire time.

It's also possible to get tiny cameras that you can place anywhere, on you, or within the environment that can record and transfer directly to your phone or other receiving and storage device. Once thought of as novelties or professional investigative use they are now widely available to anyone with a few coins and some basic knowledge.

Drones fall into the same broad category, but can clearly go where most would not have expected to have someone spying on them, it's time everyone got curtains for their high-rise apartment and stopped sunbaking on the roof.

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692236

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2486
  • Honor Medal 2010
Coincidentally, I have just finished a novel about a stalker / serial killer who owned camera sunglasses, filming and transferring what he filmed to his phone.
It’s a really scary thought that people might be wearing them , watching us as we go about our daily lives.

What will survive of us is love.
Last edit: by Aida.

Is This Creepy? 1 month 1 week ago #3692239

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1544
  • Honor Medal 2010
So where you thought a person is just wearing a pair of sunglasses,they could be actually taking your photo without your knowledge,
Very uncomfortable
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, bluegrassmusicfan

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds