Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Cheap Tipper??

Cheap Tipper?? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3646236

• Smiler1968
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 136
  • Honor Medal 2010
I leave a fiver mainly...am i a tight .......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cheap Tipper?? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3646246

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 988
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

senile1 wrote: While tipping is thought of as a reward for good/ superior service, in many cases, the workers wages are so low, their tips are an integral part of their income.Restaurants (especially),,hotels/ motels , and the Service Industry in general ,have a history of grossly underpaying staff.

Yes I understand that is the case in US - so, whilst I don't agree with the system, I would tip there because it is unfair to penalise the waiting staff for a system beyond their control

It just isnt the case here though - waiting staff are paid reasonably and tips are not an expected thing

Other than small level keep the change type thing for taxis, pizza deliverers and suchlike or coins in a tip jar on the counter at cafes (which obviously dont go to an individual staff member)

Many people here, including me, do not want tipping to get beyond that here.

It isnt being a cheapskate - it is wanting the system of reasonable wages and the stated price to be the price to remain the norm

[/color][/size

HERE HERE!!!!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Cheap Tipper?? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3646259

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 778
  • Honor Medal 2010

senile1 wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

senile1 wrote: While tipping is thought of as a reward for good/ superior service, in many cases, the workers wages are so low, their tips are an integral part of their income.Restaurants (especially),,hotels/ motels , and the Service Industry in general ,have a history of grossly underpaying staff.

Yes I understand that is the case in US - so, whilst I don't agree with the system, I would tip there because it is unfair to penalise the waiting staff for a system beyond their control

It just isnt the case here though - waiting staff are paid reasonably and tips are not an expected thing

Other than small level keep the change type thing for taxis, pizza deliverers and suchlike or coins in a tip jar on the counter at cafes (which obviously dont go to an individual staff member)

Many people here, including me, do not want tipping to get beyond that here.

It isnt being a cheapskate - it is wanting the system of reasonable wages and the stated price to be the price to remain the norm

[/color][/size

HERE HERE!!!!

And just to highlight the point, under American federal law, the minimum wage for employees who also earn tips is just US$2.13 an hour and for those who don’t it’s US$7.25. How many hours of labor are you subsidising with your 10-15%? You need a better mandatory minimum wage, not more people forced into having to rely on tips to survive.

But on this point, can I assume that all those who are against the forced wearing of masks during the pandemic are also non tippers, it's freedom of choice, right.
The following user(s) said Well Said: senile1

Last edit: by KayyGee.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds