Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Cheap Tipper??

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645600

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2071
  • Honor Medal 2010
I guess so, with some after thought regret. Confession time.
Brits not accustomed to tipping at home. Having lunch at a Wendie's in Fla
Very attentive waitress, helping us to wade through a 3' menu. Defining the 12 ways to cook an egg and assuring that Grits were not a road covering. Fast forward. Left without tipping! :blush:
The upside is.
Despite that lovely waitress, probably well retired now. The Wendie's chain has recently started up in the UK.
The word on the block is. Just to collect that outstanding tip.:ohmy:
<< Will dig deep and apologise.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77, senile1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645622

• senile1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1864
  • Honor Medal 2010

QuinTSensual wrote: I guess so, with some after thought regret. Confession time.
Brits not accustomed to tipping at home. Having lunch at a Wendie's in Fla
Very attentive waitress, helping us to wade through a 3' menu. Defining the 12 ways to cook an egg and assuring that Grits were not a road covering. Fast forward. Left without tipping! :blush:
The upside is.
Despite that lovely waitress, probably well retired now. The Wendie's chain has recently started up in the UK.
The word on the block is. Just to collect that outstanding tip.:ohmy:
<< Will dig deep and apologise.

My first time in the UK I was unaware Brits did not tip, and servers were quite shocked.One night in a pub was advised in ileu of tipping,to by the Bartender a drink @ the end of the eve.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645635

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2071
  • Honor Medal 2010
Its a fumy ole thing how Guilt can be triggered.
Confession #2. :blush: Tipping Similarity.
At a hotel in Tunisia. Contracted the local equivalent to "Delhi Belly".
Reception contacted local Doc. Arrived in a flash, gave me some jollop, curing the same day. Paid the equivalent of £5 'through reception', who probably took a cut.
The next day, the Doc 'out of gratitude'! Sent a large box, containing a locally made. miniature china tea set for the kids. We left later the same day.
It was 3yrs before we visited Tunisia again, staying at a resort some 30mls from the original.
Despite spending a day making enquires and searching his town, were unable to locate him. Leaving the goodies we had brought with us, at the next best, a local orphanage. Our kids, well pleased we had at least tried.

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645719

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2364
  • Honor Medal 2010

Yo wrote: Tips should not be necessary. Why should the customer subsidise mean employers?

as a system I agree - and am glad tipping is not a thing in Australia beyond the sort of small 'keep the change' situations I described upthread
The system is such that staff are paid properly in the first place - and of course the overall price of food, service etc includes wages.

As senile says though - one needs to be aware of different customs/systems in different places - and tip or not tip 'when in Rome'
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645738

• altshovel
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1399
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: Not all places here in the UK allow the individual staff members to keep the tip money, they have to be shared amongst all the staff. Prefer always to pay the staff member direct or leave it with the bill .

That's common here. Waiters share tips with the bussing people and dishwashers. Not all the time...
Here in the states minimum wage for restaurant workers (and others, like farm workers) is less than the general minimum wage. The government wants to include tips in the wage rate. It's pretty cruel in my opinion. Though some waiters and staff in high end or good food establishments make good money. I tip big at coffee shops particularly the franchises or chains.
It's part merit and part plain compassion.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645740

• altshovel
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Yo wrote: Tips should not be necessary. Why should the customer subsidise mean employers?

as a system I agree - and am glad tipping is not a thing in Australia beyond the sort of small 'keep the change' situations I described upthread
The system is such that staff are paid properly in the first place - and of course the overall price of food, service etc includes wages.

As senile says though - one needs to be aware of different customs/systems in different places - and tip or not tip 'when in Rome'

So the waiters have to pay for the management's meanness? That sounds like a mean idea; holding back on people who are not to blame.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645755

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 896
  • Honor Medal 2010

altshovel wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

So the waiters have to pay for the management's meanness? That sounds like a mean idea; holding back on people who are not to blame.

No, not at all, as explained tipping is not a automatic requirement here in order to subsidise the wages of those employed. When people here choose to tip it is because they have received service above and beyond that which would be expected, it is a genuine reward and an appreciation for excellent effort. The chef who prepares the meal does not get a tip, though, arguably they do the lions share of the work to make your meal enjoyable, and neither do the other service and utility staff. If I have a very good meal and it is accompanied by good service then I will both sends compliments to the chef and leave an acknowledgement of my satisfaction and a benefit for those who made my stay enjoyable.

With all that said however, there is a move underway here to introduce a client funded supplementary wages system. Most service staff here, in both the hospitality and entertainment industries are more frequently being employed under casual and zero hours contracts meaning it is virtually impossible for them to plan based on a calculable income. Many therefore have to risk taking multiple jobs that can potentially overlap, they may be called in to one job while working at another for instance. In addition, the employers, backed by conservative governments, have fought a continuing battle to remove penalty rates from these staff for working weekends and after normal hours and on Public Holidays. It is also true that as casuals they have no entitlement to sick leave or recreation leave, though it can now be possible for them to accrue long service leave. This is where Unions play a vital part in fighting against such moves.

I might also pose the question, outside of those in the hospitality industry, who else do you tip when you receive good service, the shop assistant at Home Depot or Aldi, your doctors receptionist, your refuse collector, there are many people who do their jobs well, sometimes over and above the basic requirement who get no acknowledgement other than the wages and the continuation of employment.

Last edit: by KayyGee.

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645768

• Serena77
  • Serena77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11532
  • Honor Medal 2010

KayyGee wrote:

altshovel wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

No, not at all, as explained tipping is not a automatic requirement here in order to subsidise the wages of those employed. When people here choose to tip it is because they have received service above and beyond that which would be expected, it is a genuine reward and an appreciation for excellent effort. The chef who prepares the meal does not get a tip, though, arguably they do the lions share of the work to make your meal enjoyable, and neither do the other service and utility staff. If I have a very good meal and it is accompanied by good service then I will both sends compliments to the chef and leave an acknowledgement of my satisfaction and a benefit for those who made my stay enjoyable.

With all that said however, there is a move underway here to introduce a client funded supplementary wages system. Most service staff here, in both the hospitality and entertainment industries are more frequently being employed under casual and zero hours contracts meaning it is virtually impossible for them to plan based on a calculable income. Many therefore have to risk taking multiple jobs that can potentially overlap, they may be called in to one job while working at another for instance. In addition, the employers, backed by conservative governments, have fought a continuing battle to remove penalty rates from these staff for working weekends and after normal hours and on Public Holidays. It is also true that as casuals they have no entitlement to sick leave or recreation leave, though it can now be possible for them to accrue long service leave. This is where Unions play a vital part in fighting against such moves.

I might also pose the question, outside of those in the hospitality industry, who else do you tip when you receive good service, the shop assistant at Home Depot or Aldi, your doctors receptionist, your refuse collector, there are many people who do their jobs well, sometimes over and above the basic requirement who get no acknowledgement other than the wages and the continuation of employment.

Kaygee it might be different culturally where you live.. in the USA you tip servers, cab
drivers, barbers, beauticians.. it is going off the deep end to pose the question, "who
else to tip?"

Of course, an acknowledgement of a job well done is always warranted but not the tipping. Unless you have a loaded wallet and wish to spread your wealth around. By
all means, please go ahead. Great job, by the way!

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645796

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2364
  • Honor Medal 2010

altshovel wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

You have quoted me to say that - no, that isnt what happens here - managements are obliged to pay award wage and award wage is reasonable and wait staff do not need to rely on nor expect tips.
Which is a system I agree with rather than US system where wages are low and tipping is neccesary.

Cheap Tipper?? 3 months 3 days ago #3645815

• altshovel
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

altshovel wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

You have quoted me to say that - no, that isnt what happens here - managements are obliged to pay award wage and award wage is reasonable and wait staff do not need to rely on nor expect tips.
Which is a system I agree with rather than US system where wages are low and tipping is neccesary.

There was a movement of restaurant owners to eliminate tipping by raising prices, or, by adding a 'service fee' to the bill. Some tried it but it didn't get off the ground and I suppose a lot of owners weren't going for it. It was among high end restaurants.
We had some friends (RIP) who owned two places in Ventura, at different times and they enforced a tip pool that everyone divided up equally. I have not observed that anywhere else but I don't know if it is or was common. They fired a waitress for holding back tips.
So I understand tipping doesn't work like that everywhere else, it's pretty much what I have described all over the US, as far as I know.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds