• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote: Currently, anyone who watches or records live TV or uses iPlayer without a TV licence is committing a criminal offence.

So a lot believe but I prefer what has been proven time and time again which is Currently anyone who watches or records live TV or uses iPlayer without a TV licence is committing a prosecutable offence. .

Exactly...... Procecutable offence .....’to proceed against a defendant by charging that person with a crime.

An act of offense against certain regulations is not always classed as a crime or a criminal offence like a speeding ticket is not classed as criminal even though it goes against the rules of the road.
You are liable to be fined and the only time it becomes criminal is if you fail to pay the fine as that is a criminal offence.

It is the same with a TV Licence if you don't posses one and you watch live TV you are breaking the communications act and can get fined but it is no longer a criminal offence.

This was taken from the government from 2020
People who refuse to pay the licence fee will no longer face the threat of prison under Government plans which could cost the BBC £200m a year and lead to channel closures.

Culture Secretary Nicky Morgan will launch a public consultation over the sanctions for evading the licence fee, which increases to £157.50 in April.

Prosecution for non-payment of the fee can currently end in a court appearance and a potential fine of up to £1,000. Anyone who refuses to pay the fine faces jail.

As I said the only body who deal with crime official in the UK on the civilian level is the police not collection companies and enforcement officers all they are is a person whom want to get a debt settled and they have no power of detaining, arrest (any more than a citizens arrest like you and I have) Taking statements or do you even have to talk a word to them there nobodies that is the law of the UK.
If you commit a crime expect to be arrested but no one gets arrested for TV Licence evasion as the police don't class it as a criminal matter and haven't done for a long time regardless of what an out of date act suggests and out of date propaganda from the authorities.

The wording criminal offence on TV Licensing is what a lot of people object to as how can an act which has not been passed as law be classed as criminal? The police and the CPS refuse to accept it as criminal and accept the wording is a scaremongering tactic used by a corporation to ensure there money keeps coming in, As proven in one case one man took the TV Licencing to court for harassment as they kept knocking on his door and sending him threatening letters and when his evidence was reviewed the claim for harassment was passed and he was advised the letters from the TV Licencing could be used to prosecute under the laws of blackmail and demanding money with menace. He won hands down.

As it is the law in this country it is up to others to find you guilty not for you to prove your innocence so there threats of breaking in his house and fining him thousands were null and void as he does not by law have to allow anyone from TV licensing to enter his property. He did let a police officer in when he visited to enquire why the man had rang the police to have a TV Licensing agent removed from his front lawn and the Police officer declared in court he didn't see any tv in the house even though he wasn't an expert in communications as the man showed him around to prove his innocence.
He didn't let the TV Licensing agents in as they treated him like scum and basically called him a liar from day one.
Also a pc or laptop falls under a different bracket to sky boxes and freeview boxes etc as a communication device to watch tv and any agent who touches your laptop or pc is committing an offence but they do as they just hope you don't know the law and they risk it to try and get a conviction so they can make money and that is all it is about collection companies and the BBC making money.

Did you know the BBC own channels like DAVE and GOLD and a lot more on freeview and yes they all show hundreds of adverts before in between and after a program? The BBC collect money from the ads which are set up by Channel 4 and the BBC then say they don't want ads on their channels so want to keep charging a licence fee? hypocritical a bit I think, Everyone knows they want to keep taking the public purse and not earn their own money that is the top and bottom of it and soon it will change mark my words.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642552

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2190
  • Honor Medal 2010
We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the current charter runs out in 2027, and the new norm will them be what is decided at that time. Just in passing, if you happen to be visiting another family member or are staying in a hotel where TVs are provided for the guest in their bedrooms, and their is a TV licence covering that property, then whilst you are staying there, you can legally watch live TV for the duration of your stay. :laugh: wink.png smile.png

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642558

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5671
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: Just in passing, if you happen to be visiting another family member or are staying in a hotel where TVs are provided for the guest in their bedrooms, and their is a TV licence covering that property, then whilst you are staying there, you can legally watch live TV for the duration of your stay. :laugh: wink.png smile.png

Of course you can.....the sets are legally covered by the licence.

Happy to help.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642580

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3178
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the current charter runs out in 2027, and the new norm will them be what is decided at that time. Just in passing, if you happen to be visiting another family member or are staying in a hotel where TVs are provided for the guest in their bedrooms, and their is a TV licence covering that property, then whilst you are staying there, you can legally watch live TV for the duration of your stay. :laugh: wink.png smile.png

Prisons too :laugh: :laugh:

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642609

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the current charter runs out in 2027, and the new norm will them be what is decided at that time. Just in passing, if you happen to be visiting another family member or are staying in a hotel where TVs are provided for the guest in their bedrooms, and their is a TV licence covering that property, then whilst you are staying there, you can legally watch live TV for the duration of your stay. :laugh: wink.png smile.png

Exactly right Sandy the charter runs out in 2027 so now is the time when the government are asking questions getting a vibe from the population of what the public want and if it is a feasible way to go with TV licencing.
The government have asked for people to vote on the governments petition site which I posted a link to earlier and as many people want change something has to happen.

The main suggestions are

Scrap the licence totally and let the BBC show ads and make their own money that way.
this can cause concern as people are worried what they lose in licence revenue they will try to make up from the public purse.

Stop completely the BBC from getting any money from the public purse and make them stand on their own feet as many other networks do in this day and age.
This could be done by a subscription service and allowing adverts on the BBC channels.

Demolish the BBC completely as many are aggrieved at the stance over the Jimmy Saville Gary Glitter Rolf Harris and others who committed hideous crimes and the BBC knew about the crimes and kept it quiet.
I can't see this happening as many still want to watch the BBC not me but many do.

Leave the BBC using the public purse but make it choice if you want to buy a licence and scramble any signal to any household who does not buy a licence.
This one seems to be getting a lot of support alas the BBC have already said they won't look to make the licence choice or scramble any channel as it should be free to air for all, sort of drops itself in the poo that statement as you have to buy a licence from the BBC to watch the BBC so how is it free to air?
Also the BBC suggest the cost in scrambling their network would be to high to consider which other networks who use the same scramble service have said is complete rubbish and just a ploy to keep the licence and the money coming in.

Each to their own to choose what ever they want but like anything in the UK I would advise people to at least have a say and the same come election time if we don't get what we want then the majority win and we must accept that decision.
We cannot accept the BBC saying this is the way it is going to be like it or lump it and by the way you must pay us even if you don't want it that way and if you don't want it we will harass you to death with collection companies and threats of fines and court cases. Just like they do now.

Sky if you don't pay turn off your viewing simple and that is how it should be, so do Netflix and Prime and all subscription services pay or don't watch it isn't a difficult conception for anyone apart from the BBC.

If you pay sky up to the date you watched and then cancel the contract they don't come around threatening or sending threatening letters threatening fines and court cases, They will contact you and try win you back as a customer by offering good deals but they are never rude or threatening as they want the business.

The BBC in it's current format is outdated and all wrong in my opinion and it has to change.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642846

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 262
  • Honor Medal 2010

Currently, a hotel or similar with 15 or less bedrooms pays £159 for a TV licence, the same as a domestic property. Above this number it rises by £159 for each 5 additional bedrooms.

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642854

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Got a follow up Email from TV licensing yesterday, saying they have updated their records showing I no longer need a TV license, and I will receive no more Emails or letters from them until nearer the time of June 2023, when the declaration runs out, and I will need to register again. They also said they may come and check up on me at some point to confirm my circumstances have not changed etc., which is what I would expect them to say and do.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3642891

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 495
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: Got a follow up Email from TV licensing yesterday, saying they have updated their records showing I no longer need a TV license, and I will receive no more Emails or letters from them until nearer the time of June 2023, when the declaration runs out, and I will need to register again. They also said they may come and check up on me at some point to confirm my circumstances have not changed etc., which is what I would expect them to say and do.

It is a nerve saying they will check.It is none of their business.You tell them when the circumstances change they have no business asking.I just don't answer the door or reply to any emails or letters.Lots of people don't have tv or use one they shouldn't need to justify anything.

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3643207

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Unfortunately knighten, there are some dishonest people out there, who will try to get out of paying for anything. So when they do call to ask, I will politely tell them that I do not need a license, and leave it at that. The only time they are legally able to come into the house, is if they are accompanied by a police office who is in possession of an appropriate warrant, granting them access. At the moment, everything I used to record live, I'm still able to view a few days after it first aired on TV by using the appropriate streaming service over the internet.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3643224

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5671
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:

Sandgrounder wrote: Got a follow up Email from TV licensing yesterday, saying they have updated their records showing I no longer need a TV license, and I will receive no more Emails or letters from them until nearer the time of June 2023, when the declaration runs out, and I will need to register again. They also said they may come and check up on me at some point to confirm my circumstances have not changed etc., which is what I would expect them to say and do.

It is a nerve saying they will check.It is none of their business.You tell them when the circumstances change they have no business asking.I just don't answer the door or reply to any emails or letters.Lots of people don't have tv or use one they shouldn't need to justify anything.

It is their business...

When Sandgrounder’s ‘no licence needed’ declaration runs out, they will no double check that the circumstances have not changed before issuing a new one, it stands to reason.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.....and as Sandgrounder said, there are too many that are not truthful and this unfortunately reflects on all of us.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Happy to help.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds