Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641442

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010

QuinTSensual wrote:

knighten wrote:
I wouldn't say 74 percent of people prosecuted are Mr Sponger.
Most are single mothers on benefits
who struggle to pay their bills.This fee is not means tested.Only 26 percent of men are prosecuted.The facts are clear

Its by no means unusual for Females to take the flak for Male partners.>> Favourable court mitigation.
Meanwhile. Re Single Mothers, They had the option to cater for their options.


Nope wrong there.I have sat through hundreds of cases whilst waiting to give evidence.Common theme is young mum with kids without partner on benefits.The kids need a tv ,mum can't afford the licence fee this is how it is.Mum gets a fine pays it on installments at great expense to the courts.Mum gets a criminal conviction.Big injustice so Aunty gets their money.These are decent people we are talking about taking up court time.1 in 10 cases heard in court are for the tv licence.It is insanity.30 percent of all female criminal convictions are for the tv licence

The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eira. Reason: Edited incorrectly amended clip from a previous nest of quotes

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641443

  • Pascalou
  • Pascalou's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 8883
  • Well said received: 2758
  • Points: 1821200
  • Honor Medal 2010
I had to delete many posts on this thread.
Here is a reminder of forum rules.

All posts must be legal and decent and no swearing allowed.


Pascalou
admin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by Pascalou.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641460

  • QuinTSensual
  • QuinTSensual's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 920
  • Well said received: 2100
  • Points: 566841
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:
Nope wrong there.I have sat through hundreds of cases whilst waiting to give evidence.Common theme is young mum with kids without partner on benefits.The kids need a tv ,mum can't afford the licence fee this is how it is.Mum gets a fine pays it on installments at great expense to the courts.Mum gets a criminal conviction.Big injustice so Aunty gets their money.These are decent people we are talking about taking up court time

<< Respecting Actual trial experience observations. Not experienced here.
However aware of the enormous expense to the Exchequer [Depleting a plethora of Vital essentials to the common good] Such procedural processes are forced to incur.
In this relevance. Culminating from, a simple objection to funding a mere 43p/day, inviting hassle
A service that provides entertainment, information, opportunity to absorb and detach from. The pressures, such households may be experiencing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."
Last edit: by Eira. Reason: Edited incorrectly amended clip from a previous nest of quotes

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641478

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010

QuinTSensual wrote:

knighten wrote:
Nope wrong there.I have sat through hundreds of cases whilst waiting to give evidence.Common theme is young mum with kids without partner on benefits.The kids need a tv ,mum can't afford the licence fee this is how it is.Mum gets a fine pays it on installments at great expense to the courts.Mum gets a criminal conviction.Big injustice so Aunty gets their money.These are decent people we are talking about taking up court time

<< Respecting Actual trial experience observations. Not experienced here.
However aware of the enormous expense to the Exchequer [Depleting a plethora of Vital essentials to the common good] Such procedural processes are forced to incur.
In this relevance. Culminating from, a simple objection to funding a mere 43p/day, inviting hassle
A service that provides entertainment, information, opportunity to absorb and detach from. The pressures, such households may be experiencing.


Many don't object paying 43p a day many can't afford it. Thousands fined and criminalised and dozens imprisoned. Two and a half million people used food banks in the past year This is not how we should be treating decent people this day and age
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eira. Reason: Edited incorrectly amended clip from a previous nest of quotes

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641511

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010
To me if you are watching live tv without a licence and you get fined then tough luck it is the same as any other thing which if we can't afford it don't have it. Kids can watch dvds and other programmes not shown live.

I don't agree with the licence I think it is a scam like millions of others have stated on many sites but at the minute it is a requirement by act of government so buy one or don't watch live tv.

I also believe if they don't want you to watch it without making a payment towards it then scramble it simple as, They won't because they know if they are now (total guess) getting 5 billion pound in from the licence fee and they said ok we will scramble it you don't need a licence but if you want to watch it pay first and we will unscramble it They know they would be taking in about 37p.

I get really angered at the well documented and proven cases where the agents who call at your house as soon as you say I don't need a licence anymore lie many times to get a warrant then up on entering your home can see you don't need a licence so they always ask the question to you in the search "Can you switch on BBC 1 please" and when you say No because I haven't got it or anything capable of getting it up on my tv they count is as obstruction as you didn't do what they ask! How can you put on BBC1 if you haven't got BBC1 in your house? doesn't matter it is still obstruction as you didn't put on BBC1 as they asked, and you get charged with obstructing the warrant which the court fine you for and the agents get costs for the agents time at your address, when you didn't invite them or ask them they did it themselves!

This happens a lot read up on it view it it is not made up it is fact the courts are sick to the back teeth of people who have recorded every encounter with these agents returning to courts and showing evidence to prove the tv agents gained a warrant by false representation and perjury. And what do the courts do? Not a lot really unless you can afford a good solicitor to take the agents company to court which isn't the tv licensing folk it is a different company who do the dirty work for the tv licensing.

They stitch up young mums who don't need a licence by saying when they do a search with a warrant well there is a hole in the wall there to connect an ariel coax to and the tv accepts a coax so we don't believe you don't watch live tv even if there isn't such cable in the house! and there is no cable connected when they enter the premises, they target young mums as they believe they will not know the law and they are easy targets to get money out of and they are usually correct.

Go on youtube the official videos by people like Sir Ian Botham and some other Famous folk who know what is going on and speak out about it tv licensing agents and their dirty tricks it is an eye opener.

I wish we did live in a nicey nice open and honest society but when it come to the tv licence agents it is a huge eye opener, Just remember if it was a legal law and not an act hence a civil matter between a company the BBC and yourself then why do agents come around your house and not the police if your breaking a law?

If the police thought you were growing cannabis plants would they send an agent from a collection company around your house or would they come themselves? If you are breaking the law the police deal with it simple as, not collection companies.
It isn't a law because if it was the police would keep coming back until they had spoken to you about it, where as licensing agents will come and if they get the door slammed in their face a few times and the court rejects their request for a warrant they stay away! Why? because they are not making money from it and that is all they are interested in not the licence not the fact you are innocent.

The licensing agents act very much outside the rules as proven in courts and on hundreds of recordings yet people still get fines for doing nothing wrong, this is the case so on that how can the licence fee continue much longer when we have the licensing authorities giving these collection agencies chance after chance to commit fraud perjury and get innocent people in to courts just so they can earn a few quid?

As a wise man once said One man with a pound in his pocket is always followed by 3 other men trying to get it off him.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
Last edit: by Bruce.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641564

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010
Anyone who gets a visit from a licensing agent should get everything on film from arrival to leaving.It has been known these people fabricate statements claiming to have been in properties when they have not.They are on a salary and commision so it's performance related incentified to get you prosecuted or have you pay.Film everything than produce it at court if it comes to it.Remember it is not a crime to refuse access for these people to enter your property nor is it a crime to refuse to answer their questions.Claims that they have detector vans that have detected a signal are a lie.These vans are just for show to scare the public.These people are there to gather evidence against you.Capita is a profit making company only interested in making profits and giving value to shareholders.They work for the BBC and do not give a damn about the poor.Remember people knowledge is power.The law is clear the BBC needs evidence to prove you watch tv.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641678

  • Sandgrounder
  • Sandgrounder's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 5459
  • Well said received: 1959
  • Points: 527680
  • Honor Medal 2010
Most programs that can be watched via the Demand Service, will be available about two hours after the program has aired. There are three programs I would have recorded and then watched from last night. These include two from the BBC, which I will watch on YouTube in a few days time when they are posted, and Happy Valley, which will be available on demand from today, as will last nights news programs. I spent last night watching Zero Dark Thirty film on Prime as well as spending time viewing other things on YouTube. All legal without a licence.
The following user(s) said Well Said: knighten

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641737

  • Eira
  • Eira's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 2830
  • Well said received: 2938
  • Points: 198987
  • Honor Medal 2010
I found this article interesting, written by a PhD student in Media and Communications.

His suggestions to resolve the issue of families who can’t afford a TV Licence makes sense to me.
I agree with what he writes, the current way of funding the BBC disproportionately disadvantages low income households. However, Decriminalisation of TV Licence evasion would not solve the problem for low income families if the Licence Fee is still payable, as it would just become another financial pressure of a civil debt, and all that entails.

Although the BBC Charter is already set for the next few years, there would be nothing to stop a temporary solution of a means-tested exemption for low income households - anyone in receipt of certain means tested benefits could qualify and the Govt make up the shortfall for now.

He also has some good suggestions for the longer term too.
When I read the recently produced Report by the Media Reform Coalition, the Information in it about how much of our media and news reporting is concentrated in the ownership of a few huge companies with a massive market reach, it makes me even more convinced that we need an independent public broadcasting service which is freely accessible by everyone.

Turning the BBC into a subscription service would also exclude low income households from accessing it - if they cannot afford a TV Licence now, they would not be able to afford a subscription service either.
At the very least, I think everybody should be able access some kind of independent and accountable public broadcasting service for news and information services, paid for by some form of income-related taxation.

If we start going down the route of not wanting our taxes to pay for anything we personally don’t use, where will that leave society? There’s quite a few services that are funded by taxation, which I don’t use personally but which benefit society as a whole.

blogs.lse.ac.uk/medialse/2020/10/05/decr...he-poorest/#comments

www.mediareform.org.uk/wp-content/upload...-UK-Media_final2.pdf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641738

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: I found this article interesting, written by a PhD student in Media and Communications.

His suggestions to resolve the issue of families who can’t afford a TV Licence makes sense to me.
I agree with what he writes, the current way of funding the BBC disproportionately disadvantages low income households. However, Decriminalisation of TV Licence evasion would not solve the problem for low income families if the Licence Fee is still payable, as it would just become another financial pressure of a civil debt, and all that entails.

Although the BBC Charter is already set for the next few years, there would be nothing to stop a temporary solution of a means-tested exemption for low income households - anyone in receipt of certain means tested benefits could qualify and the Govt make up the shortfall for now.

He also has some good suggestions for the longer term too.
When I read the recently produced Report by the Media Reform Coalition, the Information in it about how much of our media and news reporting is concentrated in the ownership of a few huge companies with a massive market reach, it makes me even more convinced that we need an independent public broadcasting service which is freely accessible by everyone.

Turning the BBC into a subscription service would also exclude low income households from accessing it - if they cannot afford a TV Licence now, they would not be able to afford a subscription service either.
At the very least, I think everybody should be able access some kind of independent and accountable public broadcasting service for news and information services, paid for by some form of income-related taxation.

If we start going down the route of not wanting our taxes to pay for anything we personally don’t use, where will that leave society? There’s quite a few services that are funded by taxation, which I don’t use personally but which benefit society as a whole.

blogs.lse.ac.uk/medialse/2020/10/05/decr...he-poorest/#comments

www.mediareform.org.uk/wp-content/upload...-UK-Media_final2.pdf


Trouble with what you say is this is not a tax.This is a fee.Taxes are paid by those that can afford them.Taxes are generally fairer.The fee discriminates.Capita are paid millions to enforce this.A private company with shareholders making money at the expense of the poor.Once you get a criminal conviction your chances of success in life go down a few notches.The system is unacceptable.Not having the BBC is worth it for those people.Between 60 and 91 percent of people want the fee gone.depending on what survey you see .Tells you alot
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641742

  • Eira
  • Eira's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 2830
  • Well said received: 2938
  • Points: 198987
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:
Trouble with what you say is this is not a tax.This is a fee.Taxes are paid by those that can afford them.Taxes are generally fairer.The fee discriminates.Capita are paid millions to enforce this.A private company with shareholders making money at the expense of the poor.Once you get a criminal conviction your life chances of success go down a few notches.The system is unacceptable.Not having the BBC is worth it for those people


Yes, I agree with you.
That is why I think the long term solution should be to fund public broadcasting services from a socially fairer income-related taxation, similar to how it’s done in Finland.

I’m not sure but I think the Government and BBC are tied into the current arrangement until 2027, so can’t change the basic funding arrangements until then, which is why I thought the suggestion of exempting low income households could be something which could be implemented straight away, if the Govt agreed to reimburse the cost of that until the next Review.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.