Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641195

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010
Outdated now as there are other channels we pay for by choice.I never watch the BBC.Should be subscription or advertising funded.74 percent of people fined for not having a licence and given a criminal record are women.A scandal shows how it effects the poor and especially women.I believe people sent to prison should be compensated by the BBC for having their lives ruined.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641246

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote: The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you don’t do any of that then you can complete a ‘No licence needed’ Declaration......it really is that simple.


No Licence needed Declaration is what you supposed to fill in yes agreed but do you really think the Licensing authorities are going to accept that and say ok?
The way people without a licence when it is a valid reason they haven't got a licence are treated by the agents whom the Licensing employ is disgusting and and mainly illegal and it has been proven so many many times.
I suggest people learn the law then watch peoples experiences when tv licence agents call at their houses and the home owner records it. The lies and false information is unbelievable and that is the tip of the iceberg they often lie to gain a warrant again proven time and time again.
When they get a warrant they always barge past you and if you argue at all they want that so they can get an obstruction claim against you so when they don't find any broken rules ref the licence they have something to take to court and get money out of so they can earn from the job, Proven time and time again.

If you want to make a difference on how the licence money is used join this

TV licensing and your opinion

This is basically what the link is about it is a petition if you are interested from the UK Government and Parliament


Hold a binding referendum on the future of the TV licence.
The TV Licence has been a cause of much concern to the general public over a long period of time with many petitions and debates taking place. The BBC say they are answerable to the general public yet the public get very little say into there funding, its now time to let the public have there say.

More details
The government should give the general public a binding referendum on the future of the TV Licence before the next royal charter,the questions should be how the BBC is funded:

1) remain the same, the licence will remain as it is now
2) change to a Subscription service and be able to have advertising, the bbc will get its funds from subscribers and by showing adverts this will also decriminalise the licence as there will be no need for enforcement.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641249

  • cahoots
  • cahoots's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1282
  • Well said received: 3107
  • Points: 23395
  • Honor Medal 2010
When I had no need for a licence a man came twice over a period of about 7 years to check that I had no TV ... he was perfectly polite, explained what he needed to do, I accompanied him around my home so that he could check I didn't have a TV in another room and he left.

I felt nervous because it was a stranger that I was letting into my home but there was no drama at all ... in fact the second time he came - it was the same person - I just let him go upstairs ( I live in a converted top half of a house ) and I waited at the bottom of the stairs so I didn't have to go back down again to lock the door.

If you watch live TV or BBC you are required by law to have a licence and when you declare that you don't need one it says very clearly that your property might be inspected.

I don't get why some people would be angry about it.

It's £159 per year ... some people pay over £15 or £16 per month for a subscription and that is around £192 per year ... I think it's actually cheap compared to some subscriptions and no adverts is a winner for me
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, NewTricks, QuinTSensual, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem
Last edit: by cahoots.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641253

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

cahoots wrote: When I had no need for

a licence a man came twice over a period of about 7 years to check that I had no TV ... he was perfectly polite, explained what he needed to do, I accompanied him around my home so that he could check I didn't have a TV in another room and he left.

I felt nervous because it was a stranger that I was letting into my home but there was no drama at all ... in fact the second time he came - it was the same person - I just let him go upstairs ( I live in a converted top half of a house ) and I waited at the bottom of the stairs so I didn't have to go back down again to lock the door.

If you watch live TV or BBC you are required by law to have a licence and when you declare that you don't need one it says very clearly that your property might be inspected.

I don't get why some people would be angry about it.

It's £159 per year ... some people pay over £15 or £16 per month for a subscription and that is around £192 per year ... I think it's actually cheap compared to some subscriptions and no adverts is a winner for me




You have to have car insurance to drive on the road so if you broke your car and declared to your insurance company you no longer require their services would you find it ok if a guy from the insurance company came around and wanted to search your garage and if there was a car in there which had a broken engine and didn't run and it wouldn't see the road again until it was mended and then you would insure it before you rolled a wheel on to the road but he declared you to be liar and sent you to court as a liar you do have a car and it is uninsured and you got fined for that would you accept it?
No I am sure no one would, but that is exactly what the Licencing agents do when it is a tv licence.

Some people will accept what ever companies throw at them but I won't I am expected to follow the law so I do and allowing people to inspect my property for a possible tv offence is not a law and won't be tolerated.

As for the cost it is cheaper than sky but I choose to watch sky I don't want to watch the garbage the BBC put out and don't.

I get annoyed because that We might inspect your property is not Law in the UK never has been, If they want to know if I still no longer need a licence send me an email or a letter to ask me not some agent who is only there to try and gather evidence to try and get you in court. I guarantee if that man you let in had seen a tv he would have had you in court as quick as possible even though it is not illegal to own a tv and use it as a monitor for a xbox for instance, they would push the fact you can still receive channels so you end up with a large fine and a criminal record it has happened hundreds of times even when no ariel or freeview box or similar is present.
The reason he left yours without trying his luck is because there was no tv, Who is he to decide if you own a tv or not? that is your choice and so is what you do with it.

Why won't they believe you when you say I don't require a licence? Because they won't to get money out of every household in the country hence they use tv agents.

When I lived in my last address I had no use for gas so I told the gas company I didn't want an account with them anymore and they came and took away the meter and screwed two caps on the pipe ends job done.
It takes two minutes to connect another meter and use gas without telling them but I didn't and guess what I never got a visit in 12 years to check I was still not using gas.
Why is it different if it is tv licence?

This is an interesting article from BBC employees

BBC employees ask for problem be sorted.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641343

  • Sandgrounder
  • Sandgrounder's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 5459
  • Well said received: 1958
  • Points: 527680
  • Honor Medal 2010
I regularly watch ChilliJonCarne on YouTube, and have been doing so since last year. There are other people who also post about the UK TV licence as well. My Nephew has not had a TV licence for nearly two decades now and he is not pestered by people trying to get him to buy a TV licence. When they call, he just confirms that he still has no need for a licence and that is it for another year or two.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641358

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: I regularly watch ChilliJonCarne on YouTube, and have been doing so since last year. There are other people who also post about the UK TV licence as well. My Nephew has not had a TV licence for nearly two decades now and he is not pestered by people trying to get him to buy a TV licence. When they call, he just confirms that he still has no need for a licence and that is it for another year or two.


I have never seen ChilliJonCarne so I will take a look thanks Sandy.
Capita must have had a big shake up over the last 12 months if they are calling and accepting your word you don't need a licence and leaving it at that.
Maybe it is because everyone records them now and they can't lie to magistrates to gain a warrant as you have the proof on video they haven't got the 2 or 3 items of evidence they need to gain a warrant.
People must be learning to not to talk to Capita agents.
Won't be long before the licence is extinct as it is a unfair tax on the public.
The following user(s) said Well Said: knighten

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641377

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010

cahoots wrote: When I had no need for a licence a man came twice over a period of about 7 years to check that I had no TV ... he was perfectly polite, explained what he needed to do, I accompanied him around my home so that he could check I didn't have a TV in another room and he left.

I felt nervous because it was a stranger that I was letting into my home but there was no drama at all ... in fact the second time he came - it was the same person - I just let him go upstairs ( I live in a converted top half of a house ) and I waited at the bottom of the stairs so I didn't have to go back down again to lock the door.

If you watch live TV or BBC you are required by law to have a licence and when you declare that you don't need one it says very clearly that your property might be inspected.

I don't get why some people would be angry about it.

It's £159 per year ... some people pay over £15 or £16 per month for a subscription and that is around £192 per year ... I think it's actually cheap compared to some subscriptions and no adverts is a winner for me


That is why it should be a subscription not forced on people.You can continue to pay £159 per year whilst others can have the choice of not paying.Lots of people can not afford to pay and are getting criminal records.Mostly women.It is an outrage you can get a criminal record just for being poor
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641381

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:

cahoots wrote: When I had no need for a licence a man came twice over a period of about 7 years to check that I had no TV ... he was perfectly polite, explained what he needed to do, I accompanied him around my home so that he could check I didn't have a TV in another room and he left.

I felt nervous because it was a stranger that I was letting into my home but there was no drama at all ... in fact the second time he came - it was the same person - I just let him go upstairs ( I live in a converted top half of a house ) and I waited at the bottom of the stairs so I didn't have to go back down again to lock the door.

If you watch live TV or BBC you are required by law to have a licence and when you declare that you don't need one it says very clearly that your property might be inspected.

I don't get why some people would be angry about it.

It's £159 per year ... some people pay over £15 or £16 per month for a subscription and that is around £192 per year ... I think it's actually cheap compared to some subscriptions and no adverts is a winner for me


That is why it should be a subscription not forced on people.You can continue to pay £159 per year whilst others can have the choice of not paying.Lots of people can not afford to pay and are getting criminal records.Mostly women.It is an outrage you can get a criminal record just for being poor


Exactly many many young single mums who have a tv for the kids to watch dvds on and don't have live tv are being bullied and stitched up in to either buying a licence they can't afford or don't need or end up in court through agents lies and end up with a criminal record and a fine they can't afford to pay!
It has happened on more than one occasion single mums have been sentenced to jail time because they were stitched up lied about and convicted on fraudulent claims by the BBC Licence agents,
Where did these women's kids go? in to care while the jail term was served How can that be right?
Some cases you read about make you think you are living in Nazi Germany not the UK.
Read it for yourselves don't take my word for it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641383

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:
That is why it should be a subscription not forced on people.You can continue to pay £159 per year whilst others can have the choice of not paying.Lots of people can not afford to pay and are getting criminal records.Mostly women.It is an outrage you can get a criminal record just for being poor


‘Have the choice of not paying?’

Is this the same choice as those who refuse to tax and insure their cars?......there is no ‘choice’ when it’s a legal requirement..

This is blatant encouragement to break the law.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641387

  • knighten
  • knighten's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 278
  • Well said received: 478
  • Points: 4338
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

knighten wrote:
That is why it should be a subscription not forced on people.You can continue to pay £159 per year whilst others can have the choice of not paying.Lots of people can not afford to pay and are getting criminal records.Mostly women.It is an outrage you can get a criminal record just for being poor


‘Have the choice of not paying?’




Is this the same choice as those who refuse to tax and insure their cars?......there is no ‘choice’ when it’s a legal requirement..

This is blatant encouragement to break the law.


Not the same.Most people on benefits don't have a car because its not affordable.Watching tv should be available for all for free.It should be decriminilized.You are saying It is ok for the poor not to have the right to watch television.Having a choice should not come into it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by knighten.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.