Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641097

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

QuinTSensual wrote: Little wonder we are labelled. "A nation of Whingers".
BBC without tiresome adverts. + Best part of 100 Freeview channels and there Transmission.
At a World beating. 43p/Day! . viz a viz Pint of Beer £7 !
The time to bemoan will be. When the Privately owned Transmission Stations, slip current restraints and start charging the above at commercial rates.


The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?
If the other transmission stations start to try and charge a stupid rate then simple don't buy it!
No business can stay in business without customers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641106

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641107

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.
I wouldn't mind paying for my library each time I use it if it meant those who don't use it didn't have to pay for it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641113

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.


I haven’t had need to use the Fire Service up to now ....but thankfully they are there if I need them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641118

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.


I haven’t had need to use the Fire Service up to now ....but thankfully they are there if I need them.


I think your going way of target here Pats, We all want to pay for the emergency services as we never know when we will need them and we want them available to all those that do need them.

The tv licence isn't on the same par as the emergency services when it comes to paying for necessities.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641122

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.


I haven’t had need to use the Fire Service up to now ....but thankfully they are there if I need them.


I think your going way of target here Pats, We all want to pay for the emergency services as we never know when we will need them and we want them available to all those that do need them.

The tv licence isn't on the same par as the emergency services when it comes to paying for necessities.


My point is, that we all pay for services we probably or hopefully won’t use, or don’t want to use......when it comes to a TV licence, there are exemptions from having to have one.....so you are either exempt or you are not.......i.e.....


You don't need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.‘

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641129

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.


I haven’t had need to use the Fire Service up to now ....but thankfully they are there if I need them.


I think your going way of target here Pats, We all want to pay for the emergency services as we never know when we will need them and we want them available to all those that do need them.

The tv licence isn't on the same par as the emergency services when it comes to paying for necessities.


My point is, that we all pay for services we probably or hopefully won’t use, or don’t want to use......when it comes to a TV licence, there are exemptions from having to have one.....so you are either exempt or you are not.......i.e.....


You don't need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.‘


Yes but I have to pay a licence to watch Sky and Netflix etc which I believe are nothing to do with the BBC and it's licencing, it is just because I watch them live I need a tv licence but I pay separate for those services so why am I paying twice?

Anyone who has not bought a tv licence is treated like a criminal by people constantly knocking on your door and mithering you, just because you choose not to have a tv for a while or watch anything life on tv.

They know if they just charged a licence for BBC stuff not many would bother that is why they changed it to cover any channel being shown life even when those channels are nothing to do with the BBC, Just a scam to keep getting money out of people.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641137

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
The tv licence could be £1 or £10000 it is not the price it is the principal of why should anyone pay it if they don't watch it?


Your local Council Tax covers amongst other services......libraries.....but not everyone uses them.


I use libraries so no complaints from me there, but if I didn't I still think it is unfair to have to pay for services you don't use.


I haven’t had need to use the Fire Service up to now ....but thankfully they are there if I need them.


I think your going way of target here Pats, We all want to pay for the emergency services as we never know when we will need them and we want them available to all those that do need them.

The tv licence isn't on the same par as the emergency services when it comes to paying for necessities.


My point is, that we all pay for services we probably or hopefully won’t use, or don’t want to use......when it comes to a TV licence, there are exemptions from having to have one.....so you are either exempt or you are not.......i.e.....


You don't need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.‘


Yes but I have to pay a licence to watch Sky and Netflix etc which I believe are nothing to do with the BBC and it's licencing, it is just because I watch them live I need a tv licence but I pay separate for those services so why am I paying twice?

Anyone who has not bought a tv licence is treated like a criminal by people constantly knocking on your door and mithering you, just because you choose not to have a tv for a while or watch anything life on tv..


TV Licensing officers' database of more than 30 million addresses is the main tool for catching evaders. If TV Licensing believes you're watching 'live TV' or using BBC iPlayer without a licence, enquiry officers may pay you a visit.......

Why would they be constantly mithering anyone if they are not TV licence evaders? If you can prove that you don’t need a license, where’s the problem? :unsure:
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641169

  • Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 997
  • Well said received: 1430
  • Points: 11850
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

TV Licensing officers' database of more than 30 million addresses is the main tool for catching evaders. If TV Licensing believes you're watching 'live ' using BBC iPlayer without a licence, enquiry officers may pay you a visit.......

Why would they be constantly mithering anyone if they are not TV licence evaders? If you can prove that you don’t need a license, where’s the problem? :unsure:


They haven't got a clue what you are watching detector vans etc are all a hoax well known that is.
If you evade then yes end up in court and get fined that is fine by me.

It is the case of when people do not watch tv live at all or don't even own a tv they still come knocking and they say this address hasn't got a tv licence and they want to know why, which is ok I understand that.
Then they insist on you letting them in to your house to check your not watching live tv as they don't believe you,
That is not ok, If you don't have a tv or don't watch live tv then you have no business with the tv licensing you don't have any kind of contract you have broken and the law says you do not have to prove to anyone you haven't got a tv or you don't watch live tv the same law we must all live by. The law says you can refuse entry to these people as they are not police or bailiffs with a valid warrant and they have no right to enter and they have to respect that decision and leave.

They keep coming back and spy in to your home to see if you are watching live tv and when they can see your not they still come knocking and lie through their teeth saying ok don't let me in I will just get a warrant and enter then and then have you in court and you will get fined up to £2500 or whatever and we will confiscate your tv etc.
That is not acceptable behaviour to me and many others.
The one thing they forget is your not lying but find it offensive you have to prove yourself to a company whom you don't deal with? so refuse them access to your home.
There is many cases of tv licencing trying to get a warrant to enter peoples property and the courts ask what evidence have you got to say they are evading and are watching live tv? Er none but they don't have a licence Goodbye no warrant issued.
Then they leave it for a few months then start the whole mithering you at your door again.
All you can do is revoke their right to access to your property and then they never think you do that because you are sick to the back teeth of them they always think you do it as an excuse and again go to court for a warrant and try and use the removal of access as a reason, the whole thing stinks.

As I said you get treated like a criminal because you don't want to watch live tv or own a tv.

The sad thing is the people who call at your house now are not even from tv licensing they are third party security or recovery agents who always think everyone is lying and they always think they are going to catch you out and they get so annoyed when they don't as your not lying. Many of them have had shoddy training and don't know the law if it bit them, Go on youtube and see the people who knock on doors from tv licensing and when people read the law to them they stand there saying no no no that's wrong when it isn't!
What do they want why do they keep coming mithering you? Because either A, they don't believe you don't have or watch tv or B, so they can try fill your head full of scare tactics so you buy a license.
Why they cannot accept you don't watch live tv without the rigmarole I really don't know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
Last edit: by Bruce.

The TV Licence in the UK 4 months 2 weeks ago #3641173

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 11572
  • Well said received: 5529
  • Points: 1009351
  • Honor Medal 2010
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you don’t do any of that then you can complete a ‘No licence needed’ Declaration......it really is that simple.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.