Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3644352

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2190
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've continued to do web searches to see what else is available out there for those of us without a TV license, and there is a lot. There is still a lot more for me to have a look at and see if it is of interest to me or not. Some are free by being supported through advertising, and others by paying a subscription. No decisions made yet to what else I might end up using.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 1 week ago #3644397

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: ?Cost of said license? Good for how long? Do you still have to pay cable carriers?

The licence cost for the BBC is just over $225 which isn't a lot to some but it is to others, it lasts for one year,
The thing is Dennis the BBC is aired to everyone and even if you don't want BBC channels you can't escape them as they are preprogramed in to every TV and all things like Playstations (bbc i-player) and you require this licence to watch them legally, you can watch them without buying a licence as they are not scrambled but in the UK if you get caught you can get in some trouble with the courts.

What I don't find is fair is if we watch any channels as they are shown live and those channels are not anything to do with the BBC network of channels we still have to have this licence? So if I choose cable/sky tv and I am watching Fox News from the USA I still need this licence or I get fined in court? although Sky tv and Fox are not connected to the BBC network.

On cable carriers where I live we cannot get cable TV, We can get a lot through the internet/broadband my Sky-Q is through the internet as is my Netflix and Prime tv which we pay a separate subscription too monthly, again nothing to do with the BBC but I still need a BBC tv licence to watch these networks. It sounds crazy because it is.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 6 days ago #3644524

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 495
  • Honor Medal 2010
A good way of cutting down on unwanted visits is to contact the BBC/Capita and inform them you have withdrawn rights of implied access to your property.They will be than committing the offence of trespass under cival law.If they go on your property you can call police to assist you to remove them if you wish.Reasonable force is acceptable in removal of these people if they refuse a request to leave

Last edit: by knighten.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 6 days ago #3644555

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote: A good way of cutting down on unwanted visits is to contact the BBC/Capita and inform them you have withdrawn rights of implied access to your property.They will be than committing the offence of trespass under cival law.If they go on your property you can call police to assist you to remove them if you wish.Reasonable force is acceptable in removal of these people if they refuse a request to leave

That is what they want you to do it gives them a tick in the box to make it easier for them to get a warrant from a court,
If you do have them visiting just shut the door in their face and say nothing, If they realise they are banging their heads in a brick wall quite a few times they go away and don't come back for a long time, then the door shutting starts again. If you do talk to them just say Show me a contract I have with the BBC which I may have broken and I will discuss it with you, They won't as they can't so after they start talking gibberish again just shut the door.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 6 days ago #3644626

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

knighten wrote: A good way of cutting down on unwanted visits is to contact the BBC/Capita and inform them you have withdrawn rights of implied access to your property.They will be than committing the offence of trespass under cival law.If they go on your property you can call police to assist you to remove them if you wish.Reasonable force is acceptable in removal of these people if they refuse a request to leave

That is what they want you to do it gives them a tick in the box to make it easier for them to get a warrant from a court,
If you do have them visiting just shut the door in their face and say nothing, If they realise they are banging their heads in a brick wall quite a few times they go away and don't come back for a long time, then the door shutting starts again. If you do talk to them just say Show me a contract I have with the BBC which I may have broken and I will discuss it with you, They won't as they can't so after they start talking gibberish again just shut the door.

The thing is that is not grounds for a magistrate to grant a warrant.A magistrate needs prove that Capita have evidence to suggest a person is watching live tv.Withdrawing rights of implied access does not prove of anything.Even with a warrant the police are unlikely to put a door in if you don't open it.Alot of the information out there is fake news put out by the BBC to scare people.Imagine putting a door in to find the person has no tv.The magistrate would be in big trouble.The grounds have to be very strong for a warrant to be issued.Trust me the police don't even put a door in to arrest hardened criminals with a warrant.No way will they do it just to inspect a tv

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 6 days ago #3644708

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2190
  • Honor Medal 2010
There is no need to be confrontational when they call to check. If you open the door to them, say nothing and just shut it, and leave it at that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: knighten

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 6 days ago #3644739

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:

Bruce wrote:

The thing is that is not grounds for a magistrate to grant a warrant.A magistrate needs prove that Capita have evidence to suggest a person is watching live tv.Withdrawing rights of implied access does not prove of anything.Even with a warrant the police are unlikely to put a door in if you don't open it.Alot of the information out there is fake news put out by the BBC to scare people.Imagine putting a door in to find the person has no tv.The magistrate would be in big trouble.The grounds have to be very strong for a warrant to be issued.Trust me the police don't even put a door in to arrest hardened criminals with a warrant.No way will they do it just to inspect a tv

I see what your saying but if you remove rights to access it gives them it is something they do use which can be proven by your access removal application, The courts see it as hiding something, All they need then is a second explanation why they need a warrant such as the lies they tell to courts under oath that they have seen a tv on through the window from public access like the pavement, or that You told them you refuse to buy a licence and they have their warrant. Mostly lies but that is what they do as they need to make money from the process.

The normal warrant doesn't cover smashing doors down so when they come just open a top window and say No sorry until you can show me a contract I have with the BBC which I have signed and then broken I have nothing to say to you and I have no dealings with you so Go Away. They usually start with all the threats and rubbish just close the window and ignore them they will leave when they see their getting no where.
Let them take you to court as in a court they have to prove themselves and they can't especially if every visit they make is recorded on video even the opening front door No Thanks and shutting the door to telling them your not opening the door for a warrant, they haven't got a leg to stand on, You are innocent and they have to prove you guilty without any shadow of doubt and they can't.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 5 days ago #3644811

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5671
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: There is no need to be confrontational when they call to check. If you open the door to them, say nothing and just shut it, and leave it at that.

Being confrontational doesn’t help one little bit.
Methinks some protest too much.

‘Nothing to hide, nothing to fear’

Happy to help.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 5 days ago #3644913

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Nothing to hide nothing to fear is correct I have nothing to hide and I don't fear tv licence agents they have as much rights as the milkman.

Being confrontational and aggressive is not the right way with these agents but telling them straight the law and asking them to show you a contract you have broken is not confrontational it is your legal right as a UK citizen,

1, The BBC state the requirements why you need to buy a licence.
2, The BBC state the requirements of why you do not need to buy a licence.
3, If you meet the requirements of not requiring one they don't believe you or they wouldn't want to come and check.
4, The BBC have zero rights to come to your door and expect anything which they can use as a ploy to get money out your pocket. Also you can legally record every second of the visit from them and do not have to stop if they ask you or tell you to, it is your property and you can record all day every day if you wish too including the agent standing at your door even if he says I don't want you record me, well tough it is legal and you can. If he says I am going to record you say your on private property and I am denying you permission to record on my property.
5, The agents who come to your door have no more rights than your milkman, they are not police or hold any lawful position to repeat questions tell lies or threaten you with false legality all which they do.
6, The law states you do not have to speak to these agents and their is nothing they can do to make you and you are not breaking any laws by not speaking to them.
7, If they turn up with the police and have a warrant to enter your house it is very rare the court will give authority for a forced entrance to take place and if it has they must show it you on the warrant and you can legally keep a full copy of the warrant. If they have a warrant to force entry let them in and then sue them for the lies which will be printed on the warrant saying what the evidence they gave under oath to get a warrant if the reasons are not true,
8, If you are a private person and don't want these people entering your home especially with covid then just speak to them through a top window and let them know you will not be opening the door or letting them in,
9WHY DO THESE AGENTS NEVER EVER GET SENT TO PEOPLES HOUSE WHO HAVE A LICENCE TO SEE IF THE LICENCE HOLDER HAS MADE A MISTAKE AND DOESN'T REQUIRE A LICENCE????????????????
10, It's all about the money, the BBC want as much as they can get and more as proven many times.
11, The agents keep trying to gain entry to try and make false allegations so you get fined and they get paid, if they don't get a result from the address they don't get paid hence they keep mithering you.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 5 days ago #3644916

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Sandgrounder wrote: There is no need to be confrontational when they call to check. If you open the door to them, say nothing and just shut it, and leave it at that.

Being confrontational doesn’t help one little bit.
Methinks some protest too much.

‘Nothing to hide, nothing to fear’

Constantly sending letters, visiting the same property after they have been told a licence is not needed is confrontational i agree.People find it weary
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds