TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640953

• olfella
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 274
  • Honor Medal 2010
TV licence.
We in Australia have not have broadcast licence for over 40 years now.
WHO in there right mind pay to watch TV
The rubbish they show they should pay us to watch the [email protected]#t
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640966

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1556
  • Honor Medal 2010

olfella wrote: TV licence.
We in Australia have not have broadcast licence for over 40 years now.
WHO in there right mind pay to watch TV
The rubbish they show they should pay us to watch the [email protected]#t

Different countries different rules

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640968

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 262
  • Honor Medal 2010
To maintain one of the greatest broadcasting institutions in the world I think 43 pence a day is very small price to pay considering what you get in return.

I think it represents excellent value for money and I would quite happily pay considerably more.

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640976

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010

Ivorbigwedge wrote: To maintain one of the greatest broadcasting institutions in the world I think 43 pence a day is very small price to pay considering what you get in return.

I think it represents excellent value for money and I would quite happily pay considerably more.

This is exactly the reason it needs discussing with the powers what be, Some folk love the BBC and it affiliates and long may it continue for them, But on the same note there is people like me who never watch BBC or any other BBC service as far as I know yet still have to pay for it, is that fair?

I just see it as I choose to have Sky, Netflix, Prime and the brilliant Disney Plus so I pay for them,
If I asked everyone to chip in to everyone's subscription who watches Sky etc as I do would that be right when the people who are chipping in don't watch it?

I am not against the BBC I just feel aggrieved paying for it when I don't use it as what they show is not my flavour.
The following user(s) said Well Said: patcaf

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640979

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2190
  • Honor Medal 2010
You only need to pay for a TV licence here in the UK if you watch or record live TV on any type of device, whether it is a TV, Computer, Tablet or Smart phone, and you cannot use the BBC IPlayer to watch TV on catchup. If you do not watch any live TV, or use the Iplayer, then you do not need a TV licence.

I have for the past year, not watched any live TV, as I have been recording all my programs and then watching them later, so I could skip through the adverts, where there were adverts.

MY last TV license expired last Monday night at midnight, so on Tuesday morning I went to the licensing website and registered the fact I no longer require a TV licence indefinitely, and got conformation for my home address. I need do nothing more for the next two years, when I need to confirm again for a further two years. They did confirm that they may come to check at some point, during the next two years, but that does not bother me at all.

I now still watch TV on all the channels except on the BBC, by using the On Demand service after the program has aired live.

There are only a few programs on the BBC I can no longer watch live, but a lot of the programs are also uploaded onto the likes of YouTube, Facebook and Instagram sites after they have aired, so I can still legally watch them on those sites.

I currently have an annual subscription to Amazon Prime Video, and considering a subscription to Netflix as well. The combined annual cost of both services, is still less than the cost of an annual TV licence. So I would still be saving money.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3641025

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3178
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

cahoots wrote: My understanding is that the TV License allows you to watch all BBC channels plus other channels LIVE.

If you do not watch LIVE tv or any BBC catch up channels then you do not need a licence.

I do not have a tv set and only ever watched programmes on Britbox, Netflix or Prime which I paid a subscription for and NO BBC, just a few bits on catch up which was perfectly legal without a licence.

About 3 years ago there was something going on (can't remember what it was now) but I wanted to be able to watch live news and news channels along with parliament so I purchased a licence.

Used to have TV Licence checkers around every couple of years which was fine.

I did not think the BBC licence covered permission to listen to the radio. I thought that did not need any kind of licence.

After being able to watch BBC channels again after many years I really felt the BBC has dumbed down and really only produces a few good programmes. There seem to be an overkill of morning and chat programmes and where once upon a time there would be actual ministers, stars, and newsworthy people actually being interviewed themselves now it is mostly reporters giving reports or opinions, with a relevant building in the background or even in the studio talking to the news reader.

I think we are a bit spoilt for choice now ... there are sooo many channels that it is easy spending a good hours viewing time just searching frustratingly for something to actually watch!

To be honest I have heard so much rubbish from the guys who turn up at your house when you haven't got a licence I am not sure what you need a licence for to watch, I just did a quick google of it and found what I posted but knowing google they have changed a lot so it is possibly wrong just put like it is to make people think they have to have one.

Here is what I found after trying a deeper search

Legal framework
View in Welsh
Why do I need a TV Licence?
A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and amount of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark ‘TV Licensing’. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires that these arrangements be appropriate, proportionate and efficient.

Legislation on television licensing is available from legislation.gov.uk.

Yes .. without a licence you cannot watch ANY LIVE tv broadcasts or ANYTHING BBC even on catch up i.e. BBC programmes shown later ... on anything whether tv or laptop/tablet.

So it's ok to watch Corrie on catchup but not live but it's not ok to watch 'Stenders live or on catchup

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3641026

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3178
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: You only need to pay for a TV licence here in the UK if you watch or record live TV on any type of device, whether it is a TV, Computer, Tablet or Smart phone, and you cannot use the BBC IPlayer to watch TV on catchup. If you do not watch any live TV, or use the Iplayer, then you do not need a TV licence.

I have for the past year, not watched any live TV, as I have been recording all my programs and then watching them later, so I could skip through the adverts, where there were adverts.

MY last TV license expired last Monday night at midnight, so on Tuesday morning I went to the licensing website and registered the fact I no longer require a TV licence indefinitely, and got conformation for my home address. I need do nothing more for the next two years, when I need to confirm again for a further two years. They did confirm that they may come to check at some point, during the next two years, but that does not bother me at all.

I now still watch TV on all the channels except on the BBC, by using the On Demand service after the program has aired live.

There are only a few programs on the BBC I can no longer watch live, but a lot of the programs are also uploaded onto the likes of YouTube, Facebook and Instagram sites after they have aired, so I can still legally watch them on those sites.

I currently have an annual subscription to Amazon Prime Video, and considering a subscription to Netflix as well. The combined annual cost of both services, is still less than the cost of an annual TV licence. So I would still be saving money.

Just be careful Sandy not to record programmes when they are being shown live as I think that will still count. It's fine to record them when they are being shown on catchup but obvs not BBC.

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3641051

• patcaf
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 34
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not sure it is the 'greatest' broadcaster. The news is very biased and not worth watching and i have no interest in costume drama or their daily series output. I have no problem with you paying for the BBC but i object to paying for it when I do not watch it. In effect those who watch BBC are being subsidised by those who are being forced to pay for it. It should be a pay channel like Sky and they should charge at a level which allows them to remain advert free if people are prepared to pay for it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3641061

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2071
  • Honor Medal 2010
Little wonder we are labelled. "A nation of Whingers".
BBC without tiresome adverts. + Best part of 100 Freeview channels and there Transmission.
At a World beating. 43p/Day! . viz a viz Pint of Beer £7 !
The time to bemoan will be. When the Privately owned Transmission Stations, slip current restraints and start charging the above at commercial rates.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3641093

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: You only need to pay for a TV licence here in the UK if you watch or record live TV on any type of device, whether it is a TV, Computer, Tablet or Smart phone, and you cannot use the BBC IPlayer to watch TV on catchup. If you do not watch any live TV, or use the Iplayer, then you do not need a TV licence.

That is all you need to do but it won't end there, You will get visits from basically collection companies like Marsdens working on behalf of the tv licensing department and they lie through their teeth to you,

All they want to do is snoop in your house to see if you have anything which you can get a BBC anything on and if they see a mobile phone or anything they report it as a device because the people who come to your house do not get paid if they leave without success hence they lie to you and say they need to come in to your house and check you have no equipment to watch BBC or Live TV on. It is law you do not have to let them in no matter what they say.
They do apply for warrants from courts but they rarely get given by the courts so the tv licence people make up their own warrants and try their luck but if it isn't wet signed by a judge and stamped by the court it is as much use as toilet roll.

I got bored of them as if they can't take my word and basically called me a liar because I wouldn't let them in then they can kiss my backside. I caught one standing in my front garden spying through the window! I went out and dragged him out my garden. Made a police report of harassment from them and the police told me to put it in writing and tell them all the rights of access to my property has been withdrawn then if they enter my property again to ring the police and they will remove them, which I did once, they didn't come back after that.

It is a huge pain in the rear just because you might be one of those people who doesn't watch tv.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds