TOPIC: The TV Licence in the UK

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640750

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1651
  • Honor Medal 2010
In the UK if you watch tv live you need a licence says the research I did on google which I think sucks.
It doesn't matter what channels you watch apparently if it's live or being shown now and your watching it you need a licence which made me think, I need a licence to watch Sky when I pay sky for their services,

This is what I found on google ref TV licence
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to: watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel. watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.) download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

There was talk of scrapping the TV licence but I believe the deal what is in place is there until 2027 so nothing will happen until then if at all.
The BBC have said as most people use broadband to watch tv these days Sky Netflix Prime etc if the Licence was scrapped then they wanted to add an amount to your broadband charge each month!!! This has been met with a huge NOT A CHANCE from the public and MPs who were asked.

So do you think the TV licence is a fair agreement if you only watch pay per view channels Sky Netflix Prime etc?

Would you vote in favour of scrapping the tv licence?

And would you care if the BBC added a fee on to your broadband bill?

What are your general thoughts on the TV licence?

In Lounge Chat so lets keep it friendly and remember we all have opinions which may differ to others and doesn't mean I am right you are wrong or vice-versa .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
Last edit: by Bruce.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640753

• Sirfurryanimal
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 426
  • Honor Medal 2010
There should be no TV licence or charge on your broadband bill.
The BBC should be allowed to take advertising.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

The Cornish Pasty

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640790

• Taner
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are enough tv channels showing advertising so I find it good to be able to watch programmes without constant stopping and the same old ads being shown. I know there are some here who want the BBC to be changed just for political reasons but I'm not one of them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: NewTricks

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640796

• Eira
  • Well said received: 2934
  • Honor Medal 2010
What does your TV Licence fee pay for?

The income from the licence fee means all licence payers can enjoy an ever wider choice of BBC programmes and services on TV, radio and online including:

Nine national TV channels plus regional TV services
Radio stations - 10 pan-UK, six national and 40 local
BBC website
BBC iPlayer
BBC Sounds – including radio and podcasts
BBC World Service - TV, radio and online
Other apps and online services like Bitesize, CBeebies, BBC Three, Food, News, Sport and Weather.
All free at the point of use, on a wide range of platforms and devices.
By buying a licence you support the creation of BBC programmes and services, and new ways of bringing them to you. Our purpose is to ensure as much of the fee as possible goes towards funding them.
Even though the ways we watch and listen are changing, the licence fee also allows the BBC's UK services to remain independent and free from commercial advertising.

Your fee contributes to services on screen, on air and online

Each week, 91% of UK adults use BBC services, ranging from TV channels and BBC iPlayer to national and local radio stations, and entertainment, services and information online.

I expect paying a Licence fee seems unfair to the tiny minority of folk who do not ever use BBC services but I am one of those 91% who use some of their services.
I don’t watch TV very much but I prefer to listen to Advert-free radio for music and news, both national and regional, when I’m driving. I cannot bear to listen to commercial radio, the ads are so inane and irritating.
I also think the BBC makes the best historical and costume dramas and adaptations of classic fiction.

The Licence Fee is worth it to me, for a non-commercial national broadcasting service.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, NewTricks, Aida, Bruce, JaneyB

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640801

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2569
  • Honor Medal 2010
I agree that The BBC does the best historical and costume dramas. I am okay with TV licence fee because I think the BBC should remain a non commercial broadcasting service. When watching commercial TV I get annoyed by banal adverts every 10 minutes for over 50s life insurance, mattress toppers and face cream containing ingredients that have to be spelled out to us , such as hyaluronic acid .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

What will survive of us is love.
Last edit: by Aida.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640802

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote: There are enough tv channels showing advertising so I find it good to be able to watch programmes without constant stopping and the same old ads being shown. I know there are some here who want the BBC to be changed just for political reasons but I'm not one of them.

Nothing political from me Taner, I am just one of the few who pay for a licence yet never use anything BBC tv radio catch up podcast anything ever so I think you can see my agenda is quite simple Why the hell should I pay for something I never use? It frustrates me and to be honest on a personal note No I couldn't care a jot if the BBC stop broadcasting yet there is a lot who would.

Take right now for instance I am watching Iron Resurrection on Turbo channel through Sky yet I am paying the BBC for the privilege of watching Sky which I pay separate for and it is part of the Discovery network which I believe is nothing to do with the BBC.

To me it is like paying for a rental car but I never drive it.

For me it is quite simple the rules keep changing for the licence it used to be if you didn't watch the BBC now it is if you have any channels which can be viewed live you have to have a licence.

Why don't the BBC just scramble anyone's signal if that household has not bought a licence Job Done or as someone else said ask the public if they want to pay a licence fee or let the BBC show ads and scrap the licence.

It is very wrong I believe to charge people for a service they never use, I didn't have a licence for about 8 years refused to pay it as I didn't use their services, I got sick of arguing with tv licence third party liars at my front door.
When the wife moved in she bought one as I wouldn't, And yes they still came mithering for months after lol.
The following user(s) said Well Said: patcaf

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640823

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3178
  • Honor Medal 2010
My understanding is that the TV License allows you to watch all BBC channels plus other channels LIVE.

If you do not watch LIVE tv or any BBC catch up channels then you do not need a licence.

I do not have a tv set and only ever watched programmes on Britbox, Netflix or Prime which I paid a subscription for and NO BBC, just a few bits on catch up which was perfectly legal without a licence.

About 3 years ago there was something going on (can't remember what it was now) but I wanted to be able to watch live news and news channels along with parliament so I purchased a licence.

Used to have TV Licence checkers around every couple of years which was fine.

I did not think the BBC licence covered permission to listen to the radio. I thought that did not need any kind of licence.

After being able to watch BBC channels again after many years I really felt the BBC has dumbed down and really only produces a few good programmes. There seem to be an overkill of morning and chat programmes and where once upon a time there would be actual ministers, stars, and newsworthy people actually being interviewed themselves now it is mostly reporters giving reports or opinions, with a relevant building in the background or even in the studio talking to the news reader.

I think we are a bit spoilt for choice now ... there are sooo many channels that it is easy spending a good hours viewing time just searching frustratingly for something to actually watch!

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem
Last edit: by cahoots.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640824

• Eira
  • Well said received: 2934
  • Honor Medal 2010
“I did not think the BBC licence covered permission to listen to the radio. I thought that did not need any kind of licence.“

You are correct - you don’t need a Licence to listen to BBC Radio or download BBC Radio programmes.
However, revenue from the TV Licence Fee does go towards funding all BBC Services, including BBC Radio.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Step by step, one goes a long way.

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640832

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 535
  • Honor Medal 2010
Should be free for old age pensioners...:unsure:
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Bruce

Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

The TV Licence in the UK 3 months 2 weeks ago #3640844

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

cahoots wrote: My understanding is that the TV License allows you to watch all BBC channels plus other channels LIVE.

If you do not watch LIVE tv or any BBC catch up channels then you do not need a licence.

I do not have a tv set and only ever watched programmes on Britbox, Netflix or Prime which I paid a subscription for and NO BBC, just a few bits on catch up which was perfectly legal without a licence.

About 3 years ago there was something going on (can't remember what it was now) but I wanted to be able to watch live news and news channels along with parliament so I purchased a licence.

Used to have TV Licence checkers around every couple of years which was fine.

I did not think the BBC licence covered permission to listen to the radio. I thought that did not need any kind of licence.

After being able to watch BBC channels again after many years I really felt the BBC has dumbed down and really only produces a few good programmes. There seem to be an overkill of morning and chat programmes and where once upon a time there would be actual ministers, stars, and newsworthy people actually being interviewed themselves now it is mostly reporters giving reports or opinions, with a relevant building in the background or even in the studio talking to the news reader.

I think we are a bit spoilt for choice now ... there are sooo many channels that it is easy spending a good hours viewing time just searching frustratingly for something to actually watch!

To be honest I have heard so much rubbish from the guys who turn up at your house when you haven't got a licence I am not sure what you need a licence for to watch, I just did a quick google of it and found what I posted but knowing google they have changed a lot so it is possibly wrong just put like it is to make people think they have to have one.

Here is what I found after trying a deeper search

Legal framework
View in Welsh
Why do I need a TV Licence?
A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and amount of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark ‘TV Licensing’. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires that these arrangements be appropriate, proportionate and efficient.

Legislation on television licensing is available from legislation.gov.uk.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds