• Page:

TOPIC: Earth Day Tips

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623423

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 886
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have lots of walkers around here from residents and did have a family that moved in or several in 1 home that threw trash mostly malt liquor cans out on our road, some bottles also many started picking them up then 1 day they all suddenly appeared in his front yard! After 2 times this odd thing happened we did not see any more for some reason, then they all moved so not much of a problem anymore there. We all knew who did this and had seen them throwing them out many times, we called it neighborhood cleanup day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.
Last edit: by Dennis 2.

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623526

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2455
  • Honor Medal 2010

sciguy18 wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: Quite a few of those things I do already - eg taking re usable bags for shopping and a keep cup for takeaway coffee

I try and re use and recycle as much as possible.

Those are very simple things to do. I also bring reusable bags for shopping. I don’t drink coffee, but would have a reusable cup if I did.

Yes you are right, they are simple and easy - but I guess every little thing adds up if we all do our own little part.smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: sciguy18

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623528

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2455
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: We have lots of walkers around here from residents and did have a family that moved in or several in 1 home that threw trash mostly malt liquor cans out on our road, some bottles also many started picking them up then 1 day they all suddenly appeared in his front yard! After 2 times this odd thing happened we did not see any more for some reason, then they all moved so not much of a problem anymore there. We all knew who did this and had seen them throwing them out many times, we called it neighborhood cleanup day.

You need a system like we have in South Australia whereby there is a deposit on cans and bottles

Then any thrown out ones get picked up by other people and they can get the refund.

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623574

• sciguy18
  • sciguy18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1007
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: We have lots of walkers around here from residents and did have a family that moved in or several in 1 home that threw trash mostly malt liquor cans out on our road, some bottles also many started picking them up then 1 day they all suddenly appeared in his front yard! After 2 times this odd thing happened we did not see any more for some reason, then they all moved so not much of a problem anymore there. We all knew who did this and had seen them throwing them out many times, we called it neighborhood cleanup day.

Odd neighbors like that always seem to pop up. Some horrible people moved in next to my parents years ago. They were always having loud parties into the wee hours, throwing cans and bottles everywhere and generally being a nuisance. Random people used to come and go at all hours. The neighbors used to call the police regularly. Luckily, they moved out after several months.

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623575

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

You need a system like we have in South Australia whereby there is a deposit on cans and bottles

Then any thrown out ones get picked up by other people and they can get the refund.

Some states in the US offer refunds on cans and bottles - unfortunately, not where I live. They simply go into the recycling bin provided by the town.

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623712

• Sandgrounder
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2569
  • Honor Medal 2010
Here in the UK, I think most of us recycle where we can through our council collections each week or fortnight. What still annoys me is the number of people who still throw stuff out the car window when driving. The number of times when driving at night I've seen the red spot thrown out the window, when someone has finished a cigarette and throws the still lighted stub out the window. I just leave all my rubbish in the car and clean it up when I get home or to my destination, where I then bin it. Always switch everything off whenever possible when not in use, and if there is an alternative low energy device, will use it instead.

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3623757

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: Here in the UK, I think most of us recycle where we can through our council collections each week or fortnight. What still annoys me is the number of people who still throw stuff out the car window when driving. The number of times when driving at night I've seen the red spot thrown out the window, when someone has finished a cigarette and throws the still lighted stub out the window. I just leave all my rubbish in the car and clean it up when I get home or to my destination, where I then bin it. Always switch everything off whenever possible when not in use, and if there is an alternative low energy device, will use it instead.

Every so often when I’m at the store, I will see a clump of cigarette butts in a parking space. It’s apparent that someone simply leaned out their car door to dump their ash tray. I doubt these people would dump their trash in their own front yard - or be happy if someone else did. What is even more perplexing is that parking areas here often have trash cans not that far away. Guess those cigarette butts are just too heavy to carry...

Earth Day Tips 1 month 3 weeks ago #3624364

• spiritofspain
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 319
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are considerable fines for throwing out cigarette butts in Spain, if you are caught, because of flash fires.

However the introduction of charges for plastic bags in supermarkets 5 or 6 years ago and now the
change to only paper bags in most stores has made a dramatic improvement to the local areas and hopefully wider too.
There are still the cretins who dump rubbish anywhere but is it lessening and I see more instances where people are being challenged by other members of the public when this happens.
Power to the people!!

Distance today will allow us to embrace tomorrow..............
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds