Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY?

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618409

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1683
  • Honor Medal 2010

Mickymal wrote: This virus has driven me cashless. Shops don't like handling my dirty money in case it's infected. Iwave my debit card at the machine, goods are paid for, receipt pops out the machine and I pick it up .No touching no infection.
Not keen on loading a phone with money. Easily lost or stolen. I know phones are secure but it worries me.

In reality no they are not secure at all, you have security on your phone and it makes you feel safe but if a competent hacker wanted to hack it they could and quite easily.
I know a bloke who is a computer software writing whizz for a living and he told someone at darts there phone was not as safe as they thought which ended up in a discussion on why, End of he rang him the next day told him he was going to hack it to show him he could and within 5 minutes it was hacked.
The guy did have security on it and one he paid good money for too.

Websites Phones all sorts get hacked every day all you need is a competent hacker. Unfortunately in this day and age they are getting more and more and better and better.
The bloke in the pub at darts match is a straight up legit guy who did it to show him he could after he was asked to do so by the phone owner.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mickymal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618449

• Eira
  • Well said received: 4658
  • Honor Medal 2010

Butterfly123 wrote: I think we might be heading that way?

I think we are heading that way too.

I have never been an “early adopter” of new technology regarding accessing bank accounts / credit cards / making financial payments etc - my career was in Banking and Finance, so my experience of seeing other folk being defrauded by scams or having their payment cards compromised or their ID stolen makes me prefer to hang back and wait to see how any new technology beds in and wait until the weak spots and flaws are ironed out before I climb on board with it.

However, the Covid pandemic did push me into swapping away from paying in shops using my credit card with PIN verification or cash for very low value payments and starting to use “contactless” payments with my credit card instead for all purchases up to about £45, instead of using cash.
The only bill I pay in cash now is £8 a month to my window cleaner.

I’ve also started to use my iPhone for scanning store cards at check out to record store card points and discount offers, vouchers etc, as it saves carrying lots of different plastic store cards around and reduces paper consumption by doing away with the production and handling of paper vouchers - although I still draw the line at paying for purchases with my iPhone and do not have any of my credit or debit card details stored in my phone.

Step by step, one goes a long way.

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618453

• spiritofspain
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 229
  • Honor Medal 2010
As with many of the respondents to this thread - the pandemic has pushed me over to using cards for everyday purchases at supermarkets and restaurants.
There are still a few that do not accept cards - but they are few and far between ... allways carry a bit of cash for those 'unforeseen moments'

Distance today will allow us to embrace tomorrow..............

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618604

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2968
  • Honor Medal 2010

Mickymal wrote: This virus has driven me cashless. Shops don't like handling my dirty money in case it's infected. Iwave my debit card at the machine, goods are paid for, receipt pops out the machine and I pick it up .No touching no infection.
Not keen on loading a phone with money. Easily lost or stolen. I know phones are secure but it worries me.

You are not actually loading your phone with money - your card is stored on your phone (you can have the physical card and use that too) and it uses money from your account or your credit

I think that is safer than cash or the physical card - both of which can get lost or stolen too and are then much easier for the thief /finder to use than a locked phone.

Last edit: by Vegemite Kid. Reason: added words

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618679

• AM70
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 56
Yes, we will be cashless. More youth use it than those over 60, so we will be forced into it.

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618680

• altshovel
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1830
  • Honor Medal 2010
For the most part I use my bank card. And the tech seems to be developing, so yeah, it'll happen.

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618717

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1790
  • Honor Medal 2010
Our Reserve Bank (Central Bank) announced a few years ago that they were working towards us being predominantly cashless by 2026, with the advances in technology it could even be sooner than that. I held out for a while but am now essentially cashless only keeping a nominal amount in case of power failures. Had one of those at the Service Station a few months back and I was to only one who could buy fuel because of this, everyone with cards was left waiting until the power came back on, the line of very unhappy people was long.

Mind you cashless suits the Government just fine, especially the Revenue agencies who have been trying to crack down on the cash economy for years, yes it impacts the Window Cleaner, but also the criminals and black marketeers.

Last edit: by KayyGee.

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618790

• Hoot N Annie
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124

KayyGee wrote: Our Reserve Bank (Central Bank) announced a few years ago that they were working towards us being predominantly cashless by 2026, with the advances in technology it could even be sooner than that. I held out for a while but am now essentially cashless only keeping a nominal amount in case of power failures. Had one of those at the Service Station a few months back and I was to only one who could buy fuel because of this, everyone with cards was left waiting until the power came back on, the line of very unhappy people was long.

Mind you cashless suits the Government just fine, especially the Revenue agencies who have been trying to crack down on the cash economy for years, yes it impacts the Window Cleaner, but also the criminals and black marketeers.

So, is seems everyone in the UK hires someone to clean their windows.. btw, that same window cleaner can obtain a small device that attached to their smart phone that allows them to swipe your debit/credit card.
The following user(s) said Well Said: KayyGee

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618799

• Fyrefox
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think we're well along the road to being a cashless society. I'm "old school," and like cash but carry much less of it than I once did, mostly enough to pay for small purchases. Even checks are falling by the wayside, with the identification required to use one in public cumbersome. The down side of seeing little of your actual money is the rise in cybercrime and its associated hacks and scams.

"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers." -- Ruth Brown

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL ONE DAY BECOME A CASHLESS SOCIETY? 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618804

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1790
  • Honor Medal 2010

Fyrefox wrote: I think we're well along the road to being a cashless society. I'm "old school," and like cash but carry much less of it than I once did, mostly enough to pay for small purchases. Even checks are falling by the wayside, with the identification required to use one in public cumbersome. The down side of seeing little of your actual money is the rise in cybercrime and its associated hacks and scams.

I had a little chuckle at your comment because I still maintain a cheque account but I haven't written an actual paper cheque in at least 15 years, it operates through my card just the same as all my other accounts, but it gives me a 0% interest overdraft that comes in handy as I use that to pay the bills, just as I did when I wrote cheques many years ago and put them in the post, now it's all digital. How times have changed. Oh, I still have a cheque book and the bank assures me if I do write one it will be cashed, pending sufficient funds. :lol: :lol:

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds