TOPIC: an inspirational tale

an inspirational tale 3 weeks 4 days ago #3617885

• aviator
  • aviator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 681
  • Honor Medal 2010
Dashrath Manjhi is known for, a 22 year long labour and almost single handedly carving out a road through a ridge. He was born at Gehlaur village into a lowest rank of India's caste system.
Gehlaur was a small village with few resources, and while it lies in a plain it is bordered on the south by a steeply ascending quartzite ridge that prevented a direct road access from the town of Wazirganj. The distance round the ridge was 55 km.

When his wife died in 1959 due to injury caused by falling from the ridge, he decided to carve a path (110 m long (360 ft), 9.1 m (30 ft) wide and 7.7 m (25 ft) deep) through the ridge of hills using only a hammer and chisel. After 22 years of work, Dashrath shortened travel between the Atri and Wazirganj blocks of Gaya town from 55 km to 15 km.

people considered him crazy and either left him to his work or tried to counsel him to give it up.
Later, Manjhi said, "Though most villagers taunted me at first, there were quite a few who lent me support later by giving me food and helping me buy my tools."

in 2015 a film was made based on his toil. the film is available on Netflix

more at:-
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashrath_Manjhi
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by aviator.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds