Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Neighbor outdoors wants to chat...

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609510

• Serena77
  • Serena77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10961
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am friendly with my neighbors. Yesterday, was a lovely sunshiny day and I was
in the middle of unloading my groceries. My neighbor, Chris, a very polite man,
called my name and advanced further through the border of our properties. He
asked about the welfare of my children.. He has known us since my children were
school-age.. We talked for some time... he told me all about his plantar fasciitis.
surgery on his toe from a spider bite, his mom's accidental fall.. her hip surgury..
Then he showed me pictures of his cats... one of mine, of which he adopted years
ago without my knowledge (that is another story)! On and on... he talked. Meanwhile,
all I could think about was that the milk in the trunk needed refrigeration and all the
other groceries sitting there.

Finally, (Pfew) and happily the conversation ended on a friendly note... my feet
were killing me... in my shoes.. from standing in one spot on the grass.

Dinner was delayed.. and I decided just to bake a pizza and make a salad for
dinner, for the family.. I just did not feel like cooking a full-course dinner. My mood
turned peevish. Then, my son asked me what was wrong with me... I told him about
our neighbor.. He turned my mood around with some words of wisdom, saying, "Chris
is probably lonely, and has no one to talk to! There is no reason to let it ruin the rest
of your day. Just take it in stride and thank God, you have people to talk to!"

At that moment I realized my selfishness and the wise words of my son made me
re-think the situation. His words reproved me. I realized that sometimes we have
to invest "our time" for others. No matter whether it encroaches on our plans or not.
It's not as if I speak with my neighbors every day. It made Chris happy to have a
listening ear. Sometimes, that is all a person wants.. is to be heard. It taught me a
lesson. Not to be so hasty in judgment, just grin and bear it with good humor.

If you would like to share any experiences with talkative neighbors, etc... please
feel free to share.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Pascalou, Lenny, DaveA, Jane R, Vienna, Cherie, AngelButterfly, Tamra, senile1 and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609557

• Aviara
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 703
  • Honor Medal 2010
Since Covid, I have been outside most days for a walk, weather permitting...so thankful now for Spring! Even in lockdown, my sanity was saved by these treks around the neighborhood or along a trail, even with lots of snow on the ground. These walks not only afforded me fresh air and exercise, but almost MORE importantly was seeing other people and saying hi with a big smile and a wave, or even a short chat .... there was/is LIFE out there ! So I am happy to talk with anyone at anytime for any length of time .... :D
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Jane R, Rips, Serena77, Cherie, AngelButterfly

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609601

• Serena77
  • Serena77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10961
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aviara wrote: Since Covid, I have been outside most days for a walk, weather permitting...so thankful now for Spring! Even in lockdown, my sanity was saved by these treks around the neighborhood or along a trail, even with lots of snow on the ground. These walks not only afforded me fresh air and exercise, but almost MORE importantly was seeing other people and saying hi with a big smile and a wave, or even a short chat .... there was/is LIFE out there ! So I am happy to talk with anyone at anytime for any length of time .... :D

I wish you lived closer... than Canada... perhaps I could introduce you to my neighbor...
he would regale you with tales.

Our street is very long and it's a nice 4 miles walk both ways and quiet, not much traffic,
There are many friendly people who wave or stop for a short chat.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Cherie

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609621

• Elspeth
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1845
  • Honor Medal 2010
Years ago, when I was ill with depression and spent lots of time in my bed, my neighbour, who lives across the street and knew I was unwell, saw me and said, "I noticed your blinds were still closed the other day at lunch time and I was giving you another half hour then if they weren't open, I would've been banging on your door." Many a person might say their neighbours are nosey or whatever, but I was just grateful to know that mine was concerned for my welfare.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips, Vienna, Serena77, AngelButterfly, Bruce, senile1

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609688

• Lenny
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 419
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am the kind of person that will say hello or start a conversation with just about anyone.
My wife is much more reserved.
Sometimes I will say hello to someone as we pass and they will ignore me. My wife will say. "I don't know why you bother"
But there I am again. just saying my hellos/good mornings/afternoons smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01, Rips, Serena77, AngelButterfly, Bruce

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609702

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1650
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always believe,no matter what you are going through,someone,somewhere is going through much worse,kindness costs nothing.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01, AngelButterfly, Bruce

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609739

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 578
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always smile and say hi, ... it could make a big difference to someone's day...smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: AngelButterfly

Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609750

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1601
  • Honor Medal 2010
One in particular likes to chat. I make the time because we have a mutual agreement. I shovel her snow, handle her leaves and etc etc. She watches my place like a hawk when I’m away. B)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77, AngelButterfly

Murica!
Last edit: by WWWoody.

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609761

• Elias Mooseblaster
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 240
I restrict interactions to neighbours to a nod and a smile but that's all I'm interested in. I wear headphones when I'm out (sometimes turned on, sometimes not listening to anything) so that further discussions can be politely avoided.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

Neighbor outdoors wants to chat... 1 month 1 week ago #3609772

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2825
  • Honor Medal 2010
Have noticed this year over the last few months, everyone I interact with when out shopping is happy to strike up a conversation with you. Have to say I do find it more satisfying talking to a person, even with a mask on than speaking to them over the phone.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77, AngelButterfly

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds