Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Our U K Holiday

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081433

• Mykle
  • Mykle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well it was time to go to the U k , visit family and a bit of shopping.
Booked the air tickets and rail tickets plus the hire car and the accomodation.
So on the 23rd all packed and ready to go to Skei to catch the bus to Bergen, checked the clock , loaded the car and off we went , AGGGGG panic the house clock was 15 min slow , we had twenty minutes to catch the bus, poor little car has never gone so fast. Got to bus station and dropped the car off at the garage for its M O T just as the bus arrived, phew!! loaded cases in and got front seat. Oh n0 they have changed the system this Bus only goes as far as Forde then we have to change Buses.
Anyway 50 mins later in Forde, pouring with rain so got soaked but got on bus, lucky we had bought tickets for through joiurney , as the new Bus had problems with the payment thing , course you can pay with a phone app etc. it didnt work, so all told to find a seat and the driver would sort something out. Well ther were only 7 seats left on bus and we picked up 7 so no more seats , terribkle because anyone else had to wait 2 hours for the next bus.
We arrived in Bergen about 6 30 pm found somewhere to leave luggage and went off for a meal in a place I have been to before, nice meal , I had steak etc , jean had a beef salad, two glasses of red , and a dessert plus coffee , hows £105 sound lol.
Well duly fed we caught the airport bus to Flesland , Bergen Airport . Its been rebuilt . Anyway we were staying the night at the airport hotel as the flight was 9 15 am next day. Standard room , absolute rubbish breakfast next day, any hot food was cold the bread was dry, so not happy bunnies. Check in was different ,you heck your own cases in , put the labels on and also weigh and scan them yourself, upps ! Forgot boarding cards , so back to desk and nice lady sorted them .
SECURITY !! omg its a nightmare , they put the laptops through twice, my case through twice and of course I had to be scanned because of Hip replacement.
Gave duty free a miss , no room for anything. Went to gate and great I had booked priority boarding so we got on first, take off on time so off we went to gatwick.

Right more tommorow or you will get bored

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081468

• QuinTSensual
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 507
  • Honor Medal 2010
Wow Mykle. Reads like a mega huff and puff already.
The leaves are falling ex LGW and ONE could land on rail line.
Nett result the whole rail system comes to a standstill.
Rule #1. = Grin Bear It & Enjoy >> ;) ;)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

"Out of the eyes and words of children, we 'may' best be known."

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081486

• man of kent
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 341
  • Honor Medal 2010
Carry on Mykle, I will read it
MoK

MoK

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081489

• Biddy
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 200
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hope it has a happy ending for you

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081513

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2246
  • Honor Medal 2010
Looking forward to the next episode Mykle. Hope its plain sailing (or flying) for the rest of the trip!

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081690

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2280
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't think I could cope with flying these days, it seems so stressful.

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3081876

• Mykle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Next Episode, if you can stand it.

Arrives Gatwick about 10 15 am, first stop passport control , why is it always such a long walk, im sure we walked from Heathrow to Gatwick. Anyways I had paid for premium passport control , £10 I think . Well worth it as the queues were miles long, we were just taken straight through. Then the wait for your cases hoping that they have been put on the right plane, YES ! They appeared , so we were off again to catch trains. Well first of all I had to get the tickets , I had paid for them but had to go to the machine to collect, I did think that the machine was giving us tickets for everybody there , they just kept coming out of the machine. Caught the train to St Pancras, I think it stopped at every station. On arriving at St panc we then had to get to Euston, so a long walk through St Pancras and O M G the walk from there to Euston , all uphill dragging 60 kilos luggage between us, we needed a couple of breath stops on the way, ALL the people !! , I saw more people in the 20 minutes of that walk than I do in an entire month here. EUSTON hurray ! Got first class tickets to Birmingham so were able to use Virgin 1st class lounge , free snacks and coffee. We had about 40 mins to wait for our Train. It was nice to sit down . Platform 10 for the Train, 1 st class other end of the Train, always the same . Found our seats and got comfortable , coffee, food and fruit etc . But no sleep for me , I like trains !!!
yea ok , I cant help it . 1Hour and 30 mins to Birmingham, then off we go again across the city to another station Moor St to get the local Train to Kidderminster.
After about 4 stops there wa, an announcement made to look after your bags etc as there were going to be a LOT of kids getting on, all from the Hagley school, Arnt some of these lads big now, and they have no volume control. Phoned the car hire company from the Train and they were there to collect us from the station. After all the formalities of paying etc . Off to Sainsbury to shop. WOW ! Nothing on that size by us, its vast, and the selection, must have been 15 sorts of Apples, clothes ! Jean bought a couple of pairs of trousers £15 pounds pair , In Norway they would have been £30 . From there to the chippy, FISH AND CHIPS. Then onto the cottage that we were renting at Upton Warren , nice place with a welcome tray of milk , fruit , butter , bread, coffee and bottle of juice. Also its nice and quiet. A good price I think , including Electricity, £500 for 9 nights .
Well sleep time after that , more later of our trip

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3082185

• QuinTSensual
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 507
  • Honor Medal 2010
^5 Mykle.
Made for good reading. Especially since you survived the dreads of London as most other large cities.
Upton Warren great choice. Hereford and Hay on Wye would make for a worthwhile visits if your agenda allows.

"Out of the eyes and words of children, we 'may' best be known."

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3082314

• ASC
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 19
  • Honor Medal 2010
Mykle....
I enjoyed reading this so far...the pain and panic of arriving at the terminal due to the transport system..
I was like that last year...our famous Piccadilly line 'serious delays' Never again ..back to overnight hotels..so I feel for you ..
Jean buying ' trousers at a good price in Sainsbury'. I was in there Sunday and overheard two older ladies saying how expensive the jumpers were ...
Other countries and economies ?.. Glad your experiencing our great weather so far....
Have a great one !

Our U K Holiday 2 months 1 week ago #3082440

• Mykle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well on with the Saga

First day , time to unpack all the goodies for family and all the stupid clothes that we brought with us , WHY? You never wear half of them.
So nice to not have it raining, and also warm. Shopping for food this morning and more clothes. So into kidderminster first, O MG what a dump it is now , counted 8 shops in a row closed, so sad . Had lunch , well a sandwich, then off to vist Jeans Brother and family, sad he has been off work now for nearly 6 months with Depression , stress and also some physical problem which they still havent got to the bottom of yet. We didnt know if he would cope with us, but after the initial meeting he was ok. It is awful really, from being a big cog in a small company and relied upon by everyone, to be in this state. They have 3 childdren one living with a partener, and then 2 of 25 and 27 living at home, BOTH Autistic, but such wonderful people , oh plus 3 rescue dogs!!!. Money of course is a big problem now , but they say they are just about managing.
Anyway On the way back called at one of those farm shops and bought some proper Sausages, Cumberland, we dont have in Norway, also other stuff and veg. We have two friends from Manchester coming to stay with us for a couple of days.

Thursday off to meet friends at bromsgrove station, Gerry has to use a walkng frame to get around. They are two people that we met in Norway when they were on Holiday there back in about 2011, they were on a trip and came into the Resturant that my wife and I were working in at that point, feeding mainly the miriads of Spanish an American Tourists.
The cottge has two bedrooms , one with a double bed and one with two singles, now that will be significant later on . Lot of chatting etc .
We took then to Webbs Garden Center , the Brits will pårobably know that place, had a fantastic lunch there and spent 2 or 3 hours inside , it is A vast place.

Friday we took them over the Clee Hills to Tenbury and Burford House, so another pleasant day in the sun and a walk around Burford House gardens, plus a walk around Tenbury then back through the lanes to the cottage.

Saturday was their day to go home , so packing and trip to station to see them off then over to Brother in Laws again for the afternoon. Mike who is the Autistic lad is wonderful, as anyone with Autistic family will know, he has his own world of TRAINS and his own way of talking . On way back to cottage bought a piece of Beef to roast for Sunday, havnt had beef sine we were there before, its not a great meat in Norway, they dont hang it .
That will do for now, next one is well different ??

Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.