Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint?

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069056

• wendeey
  • wendeey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 284
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met...phrase-a3936041.html

A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”.

The Met later received a complaint about his comment and passed it to the police watchdog for investigation.

The officer has now been placed on restricted duties while the Independent Office for Police Conduct investigates. He has been told the inquiry may take up to 12 months to complete.

A highly respected officer, he strenuously denies any wrongdoing and is co-operating fully with the investigation. He is attached to the Met’s anti-corruption squad, the Directorate of Professional Standards, a policing branch portrayed in the BBC drama Line Of Duty.

Insiders said the internal investigation shows the extent to which the police misconduct process has got out of hand.

One said: “There was no bad intent in this comment, it may have been a poor use of language but this is not what the misconduct process is for. This is not corruption, this is not serious wrongdoing. There should be informal ways of dealing with this, particularly at a time when we are so short of experienced officers.”

A spokesman for the Plain English Campaign said: “As the phrase means ‘morally beyond reproach’ and is used in that context with that intent, it seems fairly ludicrous that the officer in question is being investigated at all, let alone for ‘gross misconduct’. ”

An inquiry is believed to be running into an officer’s use of the phrase “pale, stale and male” in another force. A “good egg” is also thought to be discouraged in police ranks because it is deemed to be too closely associated with “egg and spoon”, rhyming slang for a highly offensive racist term.

The complaint involving the phrase “whiter than white” is among a number of claims levelled against officers in the Met’s anti-corruption unit in an IOPC inquiry codenamed Operation Embley. Allegations include racism, interfering in investigations and turning a blind eye to wrongdoing.

Three officers have been served with gross misconduct notices, including the superintendent accused of using the phrase “whiter than white”. Another officer is also under criminal investigation. Up to 11 others are facing possible inquiries.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069059

• ArtInLondon
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 832
  • Honor Medal 2010
At first glance, this would seem to be frivolous but actually the officer hasn't been sanctioned in any way. A complaint was received about his language and they are duty bound to investigate that complaint. They may well find there is no case to answer so I don't think anyone should get their knickers in a twist just yet. Interestingly, the article goes on to say:

"The complaint involving the phrase “whiter than white” is among a number of claims levelled against officers in the Met’s anti-corruption unit in an IOPC inquiry codenamed Operation Embley. Allegations include racism, interfering in investigations and turning a blind eye to wrongdoing."

Which contains some more serious and substantial allegations. One would expect this unit, of all units, to be above reproach so clearly the investigation is going much further than the possible interpretation of the figures of speech used by these officers.
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, kedro, Pats, Eira, senile1, Morgeno1, Krystalle, Davegem

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069178

• Steffiegirl
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 294
  • Honor Medal 2010
All this PC Bu**sh.it has gone far to far. It's a good thing I don't work in an office any more.....would have been sacked for everything I said....
The following user(s) said Well Said: Narcissus, Tinaplum

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069192

• RosieLeah
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3063
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wonder who made the complaint and why? Was he a non-white, someone not too familiar with the english language, perhaps, who sees racism in the slightest thing?

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069222

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2390
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always think it a good idea to have more information, otherwise you just play guessing games...
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, QuinTSensual, Krystalle

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069328

• Morganman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 years or so ago when in Birmingham UK a person who wrote "manhole covers" for the circular holes covered with steel plates at a council meeting,and he got suspended for not saying "Maintenance Apertures" I knew this is not the end of the infestation, which will go beyond contestation by the extreme left. Every body laughed at the time saying I am being dramatic. I said time will tell and it did.

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069340

• wendeey
  • wendeey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 284
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote: I always think it a good idea to have more information, otherwise you just play guessing games...

How much more information do you need?

A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”Insiders said the internal investigation shows the extent to which the police misconduct process has got out of hand.

One said: “There was no bad intent in this comment, it may have been a poor use of language but this is not what the misconduct process is for. This is not corruption, this is not serious wrongdoing. There should be informal ways of dealing with this, particularly at a time when we are so short of experienced officers.”

Not only are we short of police officers, but how much is this investigation going to cost an already cash strapped police force?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Narcissus, Tinaplum

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069342

• jetsmum
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 340
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes, it's PC gone mad. Whiter than white is a common saying meaning totally clean, taken in context in the briefing, it seems quite appropriate.

It's getting to the stage now when some people are getting 'offended' by the slightest thing, and the rest of us don't know what we can or can't say without someone being 'offended.'
The following user(s) said Well Said: spiritofspain, wendeey, Narcissus, Serena77, Zadra, Tinaplum

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069402

• ArtInLondon
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 832
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

Vienna wrote: I always think it a good idea to have more information, otherwise you just play guessing games...

How much more information do you need?

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”Insiders said the internal investigation shows the extent to which the police misconduct process has got out of hand.

Not only are we short of police officers, but how much is this investigation going to cost an already cash strapped police force?

The report says he 'could' face an investigation - not that he has or definitely will. So I think your outrage is a tad premature.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

PC Gone mad or legitimate complaint? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3069426

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 351
  • Honor Medal 2010
The phrase has been around for as long as I can remember, I think I first heard it in a washing powder advert on the TV as a child. If you look up the meaning of the phrase in any good English dictionary, you should find that referenced.

Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.