TOPIC: Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923217

• Baron Hank
  • Baron Hank's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 145
  • Honor Medal 2010
A few years ago - late one evening I saw a guy who was obviously drunk plus he was naked. Two friends(?) appeared out of the gloom and said "It's OK he's getting married tomorrow" Since then I have read of cases of people missing after stag do's and today there was another one in the paper. Initiation ceremonies in factories etc., have disappeared isn't it about time this childish event became a thing of the past

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923223

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4527
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes, especially these days. Completely OTT.

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923236

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3142
  • Honor Medal 2010
No, I don’t think they’re stupid and outdated ....but they certainly have changed over the years !

I recall my husband’s stag being in the party room of an apartment bldg ..... and all his friends being there and having a great time !

My son has been to many ‘stags’ that are much more ‘elaborate’ and often involve a trip out of town. I live in a recreational area, and we often see groups of young women in local restaurants or heading to the local spa, obviously part of a ‘stagette’ wknd :).

So, I don’t think they’re stupid and/or outdated, but they ARE more elaborate and expensive !
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Gossamerwings 1

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923253

• Baron Hank
  • Baron Hank's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 145
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aviara wrote: No, I don’t think they’re stupid and outdated ....but they certainly have changed over the years !

I recall my husband’s stag being in the party room of an apartment bldg ..... and all his friends being there and having a great time !

My son has been to many ‘stags’ that are much more ‘elaborate’ and often involve a trip out of town. I live in a recreational area, and we often see groups of young women in local restaurants or heading to the local spa, obviously part of a ‘stagette’ wknd :).

So, I don’t think they’re stupid and/or outdated, but they ARE more elaborate and expensive !

This is a serious reply - do the people in your area have wings and a halo ? Seriously even the average hen night has a male stripper and the ladies have too much to drink. That information came from a regular hen nighter

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923262

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3142
  • Honor Medal 2010
I haven’t seen ‘wings and a halo’ and I certainly can’t say exactly what goes on as I’ve never accompanied ANY of them on their stags/stagette evgs :D.

Perhaps the ages of the participants makes a difference as to their behaviour ? I’m no expert...lol
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923276

• TwistNShout
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1647
  • Honor Medal 2010

Baron Hank wrote:

Aviara wrote: No, I don’t think they’re stupid and outdated ....but they certainly have changed over the years !

This is a serious reply - do the people in your area have wings and a halo ? Seriously even the average hen night has a male stripper and the ladies have too much to drink. That information came from a regular hen nighter

Probably depends on the age and maturity of the attendees ;)

My girlfriend has been to 4 hen day/nights in the last few years, one was a spa day and evening meal, one was afternoon tea at a posh hotel, the other two involved day trips and evenings out in London. Non involved strippers and only one woman had so much to drink that she was really drunk.

I've been to a similar number of stag dos in recent years, including long weekends in Dublin and Edinburgh, no strippers just a group of lads having a good time.

Saying that I've had the misfortune to visit Blackpool on a weekend and witnessed the groups of dunks, all dressed up and being a nuisance.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aviara, Eira

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923283

• sadoldman
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 297
  • Honor Medal 2010
last night of freedom - as long as no harm done - we all need to lighten up.

if I was to ever have one of these nights - I no who would be behind my disappearance - yes the lady who is meant to carry me down the isle the next day :whistle:

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923298

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4629
  • Honor Medal 2010
Gone are the days when you went to the pubs,had a few drinks,nowadays,they go abroad for stag and hen dos,

Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923306

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 11632
  • Honor Medal 2010
Neither stupid or outdated imo. but it depends on the group and how they behave.

But if we want to book a table in a restaurant on a Friday or Saturday evening, we always ask first if there is a hen party booked, and go elsewhere if the answers yes....they are too noisy if you want a quiet meal out.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mikey

Happy to help.

Are pre marriage stag nights stupid and outdated 1 week 3 days ago #2923312

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6857
  • Honor Medal 2010

Baron Hank wrote: A few years ago - late one evening I saw a guy who was obviously drunk plus he was naked. Two friends(?) appeared out of the gloom and said "It's OK he's getting married tomorrow" Since then I have read of cases of people missing after stag do's and today there was another one in the paper. Initiation ceremonies in factories etc., have disappeared isn't it about time this childish event became a thing of the past

I don't think stag and hen pre-marriage celebrations with friends is stupid or outdated but I think a stag do on the night before the wedding, in the format you describe of a massive booze up that renders you incapacitated is stupid (but I've always thought it was, even when it was more the norm a few decades ago) - who would want to arrive at their wedding with a massive hangover and spoil their enjoyment of that carefully planned and expensive Big Day?

In my experience of the many weddings of my own family and friends' offspring in recent years, this type of "night before" stag do is very outdated now. These parties are usually held a week or two before the wedding nowadays.
In my family, a typical stag weekend is a weekend at a hotel with a golf course or a fishing trip. I expect there'll be plenty of drink flowing during and after dinner, late into the night, and some will wake up feeling a bit rough but I've not heard of any of them going missing.

All my nieces and some of my friends children have invited their Mums and me along to their Hen parties - usually a weekend away in a spa hotel, with a bit of pampering, posh afternoon tea and plenty of bubbles and booze flowing in the evening - several of us have been known to indulge too freely in the prosecco, cocktails and wine a time or two but not to the extent of getting 'legless' - and I've never been to a gathering where there was a male stripper - we don't want anything tacky or tasteless at our little soirées, darling!

I do think these pre-wedding rituals have been changing over time, as cultures and lifestyles change but as your descriptions of the typical stag dos you are seeing is so different from mine, it's obvious this change isn't happening uniformly across the board. Each to their own.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.