Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

Poll: Are you happy in your body?

Yes 19 63.3%
No 11 36.7%
Total number of voters: 30 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: 81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body?

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604718

• Mike
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1485
81 percent of people lie about their height, weight, age or salary in their online dating profiles.

Are you happy with just how you are?
Please vote in the poll above.

It seems that many of us are not, or at least a recent online dating survey seems to suggest this.

81 percent of online daters lie about at least one aspect of their appearance.

Top of the list is, unsurprisingly, age. On average, people knock 8 years off their actual age when completing their dating profiles. It has long been known that people are liable to tell fibs about their age and it is enlightening to know just how common it is and to what extent age is understated.

Weight comes next and rather than specifying precise figures, it tends to be explained in terms such as cuddly, athletic, a few extra pounds and so on. The commonest way that we fib about our weight is through photos which show a lighter version of our current self.

Height is an interesting one and is mostly confined to men. If we were to believe dating profiles then most of our men are 6 feet tall! The actual exaggeration by men is an average of 2 inches. Women are more likely to claim to be shorter if they are particularly tall, and taller if short.

How much we earn is another measure that others can judge us by and it is a difficult one to disprove. This is the area in which the biggest exaggerations happen with some of us claiming to earn a massive 4 times what we actually get.

So, are you comfortable in your own body or would you prefer to exaggerate or maybe understate?

Please vote in the poll above

Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604791

• Johnnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1273
If that figure is any where near correct Mike, then it's a terrible advertisement for your,or for any other dating site. So you've got a 20% chance of meeting an authentic Mr or Mrs right?? Ouch! That is some gamble!! :( :( :(

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604802

• Mike
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1485
Johnnie wrote:
If that figure is any where near correct Mike, then it's a terrible advertisement for your,or for any other dating site. So you've got a 20% chance of meeting an authentic Mr or Mrs right?? Ouch! That is some gamble!! :( :( :(

I agree with you Johnnie, I always take a dating profile with a generous 'pinch of salt' ;)

Fibbing about age, weight and other aspects of ourselves is extremely common in all aspects of life, not just online dating.

I don't think that this stops us finding Mr or Mrs Right though, just be a bit flexible in your judgement!
Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604841

• Hoot N Annie
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 165
From a purely scientific point of view, I'd say that 81% admitted to lying on their profile and the other 19% lied about their lying......
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, elleninwi, Samantha, Linden

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604846

• Right Now
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1404
Someone looking for Mrs. Right???? :cheer:
Better to be be surprised at what's around the next corner than to plan on what I might find there.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Johnnie

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604847

• Ripple
Is anyone really happy with their bod :huh: I've always wanted a bit more up top :whistle:

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2604950

• Crok
Not only do they lie on their profiles.
It also seems they lie when they Vote. :laugh:

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2605011

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1049
This is an interesting topic and one that I gave a lot of thought to a few years ago when I did for a brief time venture into the confusing world of internet dating.

My initial thoughts on writing a profile was that if I was contemplating a long term relationship with someone (as I was back at that time)....then I didn't want that relationship to begin with lies and misrepresentation.
So I put an up to date photo of myself and answered all questions truthfully..

If the guys that I met up with for coffee with, were any indication of what people put onto their profiles....then I have to say that the majority of them.....were not happy in their own body/ or with their own personality.

At the time this made be feel slightly disadvantaged when meeting them for the first time....as I was exactly who I said I was/looked like....whereas they were hidden behind a cloak of secrecy which only became apparent when we met up in real life.

In answer to the question posed....Yes I am entirely happy in my own body. I would best describe myself as pretty average looking but I am fit and healthy, enjoy new experiences (though not in the world of internet dating any more, I'm afraid...sorry Mike ;) ).....and have had a very interesting life to date.

What you see is very much what you get with me :) ....and Yes, I'm happy with being me
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aysia, NewTricks, DeeBee51, Right Now, Linden

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 3 months 6 days ago #2605066

• Adrian V
Of course people lie about their dating profiles - otherwise they wouldn't get a date! Dating sites do an excellent job but you have to remember that many on there have failed to get a date by other means. That may not be their fault - they could be living in a remote or sparsely populated area, or work unsocial hours. A dating site does at least give a chance to those who otherwise would not be successful with the opposite sex.

81% lie on their dating profiles - Are you happy in your body? 2 months 4 weeks ago #2609528

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2036
Lying gets a person nowhere, because sooner or later the truth will come out.
Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.
The following user(s) said Well Said: elleninwi, DeeBee51, Hobgoblin54
Moderators: Mike, Pats, smilesrus10, pascalou
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds